Epson TW8200, buy in India or US

Sugu

Hi Gurus,

I have narrowed my PJ search to the epson TW8200. I am in Bangalore, India and the best price I was quoted was 2,15,000. It only costs 2600 $ in the US, even with sales tax works out to 1,75.000.

I have a close friend who is coming to Bangalore from the US. Question is whether I should bite the bullet and purchase it here or save some bucks and have my friend bring it over?

Some considerations:
- 110V versus 220V. The specifications seems to suggest the projector has universal voltage, will work on either voltage without a convertor. Is this true?
- Warranty. Will EPSON India honour warranty of item purchased in US?
- Pros and cons of damage in baggage. My friend has agreed to bring it with the original box in his cabin luggage. Any issues with that?

Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Sugu

I was in similar dilemma and decided to go local. Let me try to answer your questions first:

1. No need to voltage converter. It will work as is.
2. I checked with Epson and they will not honor the warranty. I was also told most of the time a failure will result in large part replacement each one costing close to 1L. I am not sure if it was just a bluff though. BTW, Epson has one of the best warranty, 2 yrs while most of others carry 1 yr or less.
3. The original box is too big to fit as cabin luggage. Have you seen the PJ in person? It really big and weighs 8KG. Most of the airlines will not allow it in cabin at least in economy class.

Also, as its quite big, you might have to pay the import duties. Its quite hard to hide :). Now if you add another 30% of customs on top of it you are looking at 2+ L anyways.

Personally, I was bit worried about carrying it in checked in luggage. Also, not having warranty on such a expensive item was worrisome. On top it if i have to pay customs then all benefit were getting negated.

Look around you might find below 2L locally. I purchased locally and I would suggest the same to you.

HTH

_Rahul.

In my personal experience Epson projectors price is on par any where on earth but for few local tax structure vary it. On the other had Panasonic has a vast difference which is wise and viable bringing it from US.

So my suggestion is try to work out the best possible discount with the dealer any where from India and bring the price as close as possible to US and close the deal and have piece of mind.

The Double box of this projector will weigh around 12-13kgs when packed. I got my Panny from US as check in baggage and walked out in Green Channel in 2012 but in todays scenario it is night mare. If you are ready to pay 36% duty no night mare, you can try your luck but for saving few bucks its not worthy to compromise 12 months of warranty. I always work it like this If I have to take the pain of Importing anything either that item should not be available in India or incase any thing happens to it I should be able import another one still both put together the price should be Indian price or marginally higher.

To put it in a nut shell Importing new electronics is viable only if the landed cost difference is minimum 35% less than Indian discounted price (mind you not MRP) or else I am cock sure that I am going to get the item in ship shape condition and that it will work for next 12 months with out any trouble.

BTW Epson 8200 is one of the best projectors and good choice.

ENJOY

R. Balagopalan

Rahul,

Thank you for a very useful response. I did not realize that the PJ is that big and cannot be carried in cabin. Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it locally and the name of the dealer as well?

Thanks
Sugu

Hi Sugu:

How does TW8200 perform on 720p sources ?
I have tons of DVD and am planning to buy the TW8200, to be projected on a 120" screen. Any pixelation issues ?

My receiver is Onkyo NR-609.

Hi Gurus,

I have narrowed my PJ search to the epson TW8200. I am in Bangalore, India and the best price I was quoted was 2,15,000. It only costs 2600 $ in the US, even with sales tax works out to 1,75.000.

I have a close friend who is coming to Bangalore from the US. Question is whether I should bite the bullet and purchase it here or save some bucks and have my friend bring it over?

Some considerations:
- 110V versus 220V. The specifications seems to suggest the projector has universal voltage, will work on either voltage without a convertor. Is this true?
- Warranty. Will EPSON India honour warranty of item purchased in US?
- Pros and cons of damage in baggage. My friend has agreed to bring it with the original box in his cabin luggage. Any issues with that?

Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Sugu

Its readily available @165000 with bill and warranty here in Mumbai

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back