Error with my Denon AVR-X1200W

krishna.adhikari

I have a problem with my avr. The menu is displayed in special characters.

I am attaching the picks

I have changed the HDMI cable that connects the AVR yo the tv

The menu for the Tata Sky STB is OK.

Please help
c1b8f0c168486fe8c3b35155e65b5a8b.jpg

I have a problem with my avr. The menu is displayed in special characters.

I am attaching the picks

I have changed the HDMI cable that connects the AVR yo the tv

The menu for the Tata Sky STB is OK.

Please help

Is that the Denon's own menu that is not working? By STB menu, I would guess that the Input sources are all fine. Was there any firmware update recently? Did you try resetting the receiver? Do the buttons on the receiver and remote work? Also, did you try a Denon mobile app and tried to alter things around? Did that work?

MaSh

Hi Krishna,

Do a factory reset and check....if same issue persists and the avr is under warranty, please get it fixed...most Denon models are known to pop up issues....

Is that the Denon's own menu that is not working? By STB menu, I would guess that the Input sources are all fine. Was there any firmware update recently? Did you try resetting the receiver? Do the buttons on the receiver and remote work? Also, did you try a Denon mobile app and tried to alter things around? Did that work?

MaSh

The firmware update could be the most likely cause as you stated.

i had a similar problem with the Denon X1000 and the culprit was the firmware done the previous day. i did a reset and the menu came back on .

on the display of the avr ( not the TV) does it show normal messages or an error ? if no error then proceed with the reset

steps to reset :

Press the " ZONE 2 SOURCE " and " DIMMER " buttons simultaneously while powering the unit on.

Do Note you will lose all saved setting etc while doing it and the units audyssey etc will have to be done again.

The firmware update could be the most likely cause as you stated.

i had a similar problem with the Denon X1000 and the culprit was the firmware done the previous day. i did a reset and the menu came back on .

on the display of the avr ( not the TV) does it show normal messages or an error ? if no error then proceed with the reset

steps to reset :

Press the " ZONE 2 SOURCE " and " DIMMER " buttons simultaneously while powering the unit on.

Do Note you will lose all saved setting etc while doing it and the units audyssey etc will have to be done again.
This is how I reset the AVR.

Turn off the power.

Press*power*while simultaneously pressing TUNER PRESET CH + and TUNER PRESET CH -.

Remove your fingers from the two buttons when Initialized appears on the display.

Do I need to do anything after I get the initialized message on the panel?

after the Initialize message after that it should cycle through the various settings on the avr display.

post that when i switched the tv on the menus appeared correctly.

Quick question does video play properly ?

also you can try using a video out port on the avr and see if the display comes when you play video through that and not through the hdmi. if its the same then you have a different problem.

just checked on denon site and found this :

The menu screen is not displayed on the TV
The menu screen or status information screen is not displayed on the TV.
The menu screen is only displayed on this unit and a TV connected with an HDMI cable. If this unit is connected to a TV using a different video output connector, operate while watching the display on this unit.
The status information will not appear on the TV when the following video signals are being played.
- Some images of 3D video content
- Computer resolution images (example: VGA)
- Video with an aspect ratio other than 16:9 or 4:3
- Some images of 4K video content
link
When a 2D video is converted to a 3D video on the TV, the menu screen or status information screen is not displayed properly.

In the pure direct playback mode, the menu screen or status information is not displayed. Switch to a sound mode other than the pure direct mode.
l
Set the TV Format setting in the menu to a selection that is appropriate for the TV.
l

Source :http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1200W/NA/EN/GFNFSYtgugzsae.php

Last edited:
Just an update

Dropped my Denon at the service station

The address is
Kripa electronics india pvt ltd
A-5 chhote lal park ground floor opp metro
Pillor 340 main najafgarh road kirti nagar delhi 110015

The asked for the serial number and confirmed if it was a billed purchase

I had a few quick questions about the whole experience

1. First thing the person told me I couldn't understand. He said a one thing about current through the TV HDMI port and that LEADING TO THE FAULT. said the same would not be covered in warranty. Could someone please explain

2. Once he opened the AVR, he said there is water damage. I said that was impossible as the system is covered in the rack. + the Tata Sky menu is displayed fine.

The question I had is are there Service guys concerns genuine or is just trying to pull a quick one.

Request some light on the said matter.

I had read a post where dome one had suggested going through the Grey route. The experience was depressing as I bought the system after paying all the taxes + a markup only for the warranty factor. If I knew that it would be such a big hassle I would have thought twice about it.

To top it up couldn't answer my wife on my choice of buying denon. She said you spent such a lot of money and it didn't would fine for six months :)

Hi

1. What the technician meant was if we connect the set top box via hdmi to the AVR..there could be sudden electrical current passed through which can damage the HDMI circuit board...which is the cause of most issues faced globally.....hence the solution is to use Optical out from set top box...or feed audio and video to the TV and then take audio out from TV to AVR....

2. Water damage? chances are very remote unless you are staying close to the sea side where your home gets salty sea breeze...salt residue can gather on the board which can spoil the components / circuit.

Honestly, i dont believe in the so called one year warranty provided in India....abroad its 3-5 years......i rather buy from grey market and use products..there are enough skilled honest repairers around who can resolve the issue than a service centre who cheats

Hi

1. What the technician meant was if we connect the set top box via hdmi to the AVR..there could be sudden electrical current passed through which can damage the HDMI circuit board...which is the cause of most issues faced globally.....hence the solution is to use Optical out from set top box...or feed audio and video to the TV and then take audio out from TV to AVR....

2. Water damage? chances are very remote unless you are staying close to the sea side where your home gets salty sea breeze...salt residue can gather on the board which can spoil the components / circuit.

Honestly, i dont believe in the so called one year warranty provided in India....abroad its 3-5 years......i rather buy from grey market and use products..there are enough skilled honest repairers around who can resolve the issue than a service centre who cheats
Thanks a ton for the answers.

What do you suggest that I use for my Tata Sky connection. BTW which solution do you use.

If the companies know this is such a big issue then why don't they implement a solution for it. Seems pretty dumb on the audio companies part

I am planning on going through the Grey route for my AVR the next time around as I have had enough with these unscrupulous elements.

I was told by the service center guys that the HDMI board has been replaced.

For future wanted to know how can I save myself against this problem.

Advice is much appreciated.

Hi

Depending on what connection options are available on the Tata Sky box and your TV...use that...

I have given TV out via OPTICAL to the AVR and it works perfectly fine....get the 5.1 surround sound etc.

You could also try using Coaxial from Set top box to AVR....this will not damage the HDMI board but one should be careful.....

I had a few quick questions about the whole experience

1. First thing the person told me I couldn't understand. He said a one thing about current through the TV HDMI port and that LEADING TO THE FAULT. said the same would not be covered in warranty. Could someone please explain

2. Once he opened the AVR, he said there is water damage. I said that was impossible as the system is covered in the rack. + the Tata Sky menu is displayed fine.

The question I had is are there Service guys concerns genuine or is just trying to pull a quick one.

Request some light on the said matter.

I had read a post where dome one had suggested going through the Grey route. The experience was depressing as I bought the system after paying all the taxes + a markup only for the warranty factor. If I knew that it would be such a big hassle I would have thought twice about it.

To top it up couldn't answer my wife on my choice of buying denon. She said you spent such a lot of money and it didn't would fine for six months :)

Yes, you are right.....Even I purchased Denon and in just a year its dead since it showed 'error' while updating. I have wasted Rs.35000 for it. The Denon service guy asked a cool Rs.25000 for repairs. Just disgusting. now the amp is lying idle at my home like a showpiece. I have now purchased a Pioneer amp now.

Same story with my Marantz. Now all hdmi ports are dead . Running it with optical cable now. I wonder if any only 5.1 audio reciver available in market.

Same story with my Marantz. Now all hdmi ports are dead . Running it with optical cable now. I wonder if any only 5.1 audio reciver available in market.

One of my friend is facing the same problem, HDMI board on 10 months old SR5010 is dead and service guys said it won't be covered under warranty.

Looks like this problem is quite common with Denon and Marantz these days, not sure if other brands are putting up any sort of protection or if its same in every appliance.

@ Krishna adhikari,

So finally the Denon issue resolved and HDMI board changed within warranty....lucky....

Yes a surge protector will help a lot...all my electric points have TRIPPERs...over and above that i use spike guard electric points.....so protected to a decent extent.....

Is there a quality issue with Denon/Marantz HDMI boards, I've been using a Yamaha for past 5 years now (touchwood) and was considering an upgrade? Also are the HDMI boards susceptible to damage due to direct connection from HD setup boxes?

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back