Expert advice needed - help in buying HT

agupta20

Hi all,

First time HT buyer. Mainly for movies and gaming. Budget - 30 to 45k
Auditioned 5 systems
1. Onkyo HTS3500 - 27k (didnt like)
2. Yamaha YHT296 - 32k (seemed good value for money)
3. Onkyo309 avr + onkyo528 speakers - 35k (liked it)
4. Onkyo309 avr + onkyo648 speakers - 44k (unsure to spend extra 9k over 3rd option)
5. Onkyo309 avr + wharfadale65+moviestar speakers - 43k (unsure to spend extra 8k over 3rd option)

Reading these forums, i understand there are various other options available for receiver and speaker combinations. As i cant audition all of them at one place and see the difference, I would need expert advice to move ahead in finalizing my new HT

Thanks in advance

Ashish

Hi all,

First time HT buyer. Mainly for movies and gaming. Budget - 30 to 45k
Auditioned 5 systems
1. Onkyo HTS3500 - 27k (didnt like)
2. Yamaha YHT296 - 32k (seemed good value for money)
3. Onkyo309 avr + onkyo528 speakers - 35k (liked it)
4. Onkyo309 avr + onkyo648 speakers - 44k (unsure to spend extra 9k over 3rd option)
5. Onkyo309 avr + wharfadale65+moviestar speakers - 43k (unsure to spend extra 8k over 3rd option)

Reading these forums, i understand there are various other options available for receiver and speaker combinations. As i cant audition all of them at one place and see the difference, I would need expert advice to move ahead in finalizing my new HT

Thanks in advance

Ashish

You can also demo the marantz SR3053 with 5.1 speakers systems. I prefer the sound of marantz over onkyo. Some of the 5.1 systems you can also demo:

polk audio RM705
Polk audio RM6750
polk audio Blackstone TL1600
Boston Acoustics XS 5.1
Boston Acoustics A2310 5.1
denon 1312XP
Jamo A101 HCS 5
Jamo A102 HCS 3
Jamo A102 HCS 6

Thanks.
I am planning to take few of these demos in a day or two. I am getting an offer of denon1312avr + polk audioRM705 for 42k. Going to audition it today

Which receiver is better for gaming and movies - denon, marantz or onkyo

Ashish

Thanks.
I am planning to take few of these demos in a day or two. I am getting an offer of denon1312avr + polk audioRM705 for 42k. Going to audition it today

Which receiver is better for gaming and movies - denon, marantz or onkyo

Ashish

Marantz : music
denon : music + movies
onkyo : movies

All the above are good for movies, music and gaming and will do the job well with all different sources. However, what I have tried to highlight above is the signature each one of them have that separates them from each other.

If you are not into music, then I would go with Denon.

I came across an offer on a new forum technohatchlers-com. Don remem exactly but there was an offer Yamaha 371 + speakers with ipod Dock for abt 30-34 k... check out. .. I am not sure.. If they are offering an ipod dock.. its a steal..

Thanks Aakash
I auditioned denon1612+PA RM705. Somehow i found onkyo setups which i auditioned earlier better.

One question - i was comparing technical specs of onkyo hts3500 and onkyo309avr+onkyo528 speakers. Somehow both specs seemed same except that earlier has passive woofer and later has active. So is it worth going for seperate avr n speakers (considering they are 9k expensive)

If yes, then i have to decide between onkyo 309avr and either onkyo 528 or 648 speakers
If no, then i have to decide between onkyo hts3500 and onkyo 309avr+648 speakers

The problem is i have auditioned only 648 speakers. 528 were not available for demo with any dealer. I have taken demo of hts3500 but never in proper conditions (demo room), so unable to decide

Thanks

Any views on Denon1312avr + polk audio RM705 speakers?

don't go for denon. you can do far better for sound. denon tends to have antiseptic and thin sound with one dimensional bottomy bass.

For the prices you are looking at these AVRs will be far better for sound:

Marantz sr6006 or sr5006
Cambridge Audio 551
NAD T748

musical quality is key. every movie you watch most of the sound is the music score or voice. If you are hearing palpable instruments, voice, drums then explosions and other sound effects and games will sound just fine.

Thanks Aakash
I auditioned denon1612+PA RM705. Somehow i found onkyo setups which i auditioned earlier better.

One question - i was comparing technical specs of onkyo hts3500 and onkyo309avr+onkyo528 speakers. Somehow both specs seemed same except that earlier has passive woofer and later has active. So is it worth going for seperate avr n speakers (considering they are 9k expensive)

If yes, then i have to decide between onkyo 309avr and either onkyo 528 or 648 speakers
If no, then i have to decide between onkyo hts3500 and onkyo 309avr+648 speakers

The problem is i have auditioned only 648 speakers. 528 were not available for demo with any dealer. I have taken demo of hts3500 but never in proper conditions (demo room), so unable to decide

Thanks

A seperate system will always sound better than a HTIB. So, if budget permits always better to go the seperates way. HTIBs are great for people on a tight budget. You can go for an entry level AVR from Marantz, Denon or Onkyo, depending of the type of sound you like. They all are good but its their distinct sound signature that separates them from each other.

Marantz : Music
Denon : Music + Movies
Onkyo : Movies

The above is just a guideline and remember sound is very subjective. Everyone has different tastes in music and sound, which explains why there are so many choices in speakers.

You can pair any of the above AVRs with any 5.1 satellite speaker system. Also remember it is advisable to mate bright AVRs with warm speakers and warm AVRs with bright speakers to get a more balanced sound.

the above mentioned marantz, cambridge and nad AVRs are way above my budget. My total budget is max 50k which i have stretched from 30k for not comprising on good quality

I am almost finalized on onkyo 309 avr. Have auditioned wharfedale, yamaha and onkyo speakers with. I liked onkyo and wharfedale.

I am trying to visit other dealers but unable to get demo of polk audio and jamo speakers demo with onkyo avr

I am a newbie, so dont know which avr/speakers are bright/warm

If you can just let me know which speakers will go best with onkyo 309avr, that will be great

the above mentioned marantz, cambridge and nad AVRs are way above my budget. My total budget is max 50k which i have stretched from 30k for not comprising on good quality

I am almost finalized on onkyo 309 avr. Have auditioned wharfedale, yamaha and onkyo speakers with. I liked onkyo and wharfedale.

I am trying to visit other dealers but unable to get demo of polk audio and jamo speakers demo with onkyo avr

If you can just let me know which speakers will go best with onkyo 309avr, that will be great

I would go for Denon over Onkyo.............better matching with speakers. I see you have only had a listen to Onkyo, Yamaha and wharfedale speakers. Try to demo some more speakers..............however if you have to pick I would go with Wharfedale which would be a much better choice when it comes to speakers over Onkyo or Yamaha.

You have extended your budget to 50k...............you should be able to get a really good 5.1 speaker system.

Denon AVR 1312 23k
Denon AVR 1612 28k

Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 25k
Polk Audio Blackstone TL1600 32k
Energy Classic 5.1 33k
WHARFEDALE MOVIESTAR MS-100 HCP 30k
WHARFEDALE OBSIDIAN 600 HOME THEATRE PACKAGE 35k

if budget is 50k..............definitely do NOT go for any HTIB like onkyo 3500!!! You can get better sound with lot of options better than 3500. Onkyo 3500 is a great vfm system for people who have a budget of 25k not 50k!!!

Thought your budget was for AVR only.

There are lower priced Marantz and NAD units.

Marantz nr1402 and nr 1602
NAD T748

I've had an Onkyo and Denon avrs in my system in the past and quickly moved to an NAD which was much better sounding (and then moved to an Arcam). The Onkyo did sound better than Denon.

Honestly, if you can live without the latest surruond sound modes (blu-ray) you could go used. A used Arcam AVR200 can be had for about $300 (usa) on ebay. You can probably dialog some of the sellers if they will ship to India.
This is what I currently have and haven't found a better sounding sub $1000 (usa) avr that has the newer blu-ray surround modes. All blu-rays still have dolby dts so no problem watching blu rays.

So, unless you are fixated on getting the Onkyo you can do better.

For speakers, might be hard to find in India, but it would be worth tracking down (ask your dealer) the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR or SP-BS41-LR speakers. These are extrodinary performers that are very low priced. They are noted to compete with Warfdale 10.1 and PSB alpha 1.They've been written up in several high-end magazines. I picked up a pair of the BS41 model and they do, indeed, sound very good. If you want to reduce your budget on the speaker side so more can be allocated towards the avr this would be the way to go.

Since reading is free here is a link for the pioneer speaker:

Pioneer SP-BS41-LR loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

You asked for expert advice. I can't recommend the onkyo when there are far better choices. If you go used there are by very far better choices.

Thanks
Definitely auditioning marantz avr this weekend. Found a dealer at crawford, who is keeping marantz avr along with different speaker options

I prefer to go for a new model. Will increase budget if required

Thanks
Definitely auditioning marantz avr this weekend. Found a dealer at crawford, who is keeping marantz avr along with different speaker options

sounds good........check which model it is, could be the SR1402, SR5005, SR5006, etc..........ensure you play a full spectrum of audio comprising all kinds of music and also movies to test the AVR.

all the best!!!

Thanks

Great to hear!

Ask about the specific pioneer speaker models I mentioned.
This specfic model line was done by a high-end designer.
Incredible bang for the money.

Looking forward to your report... :clapping:

Last edited:
Audition few systems today
1. Denon 1612 + paradigm cinema 70 - (lot of sound clarity)
2. Denon 1612 + canton - (small speakers, not much impressive)
3. Denon 1312 + wharfedale ms100 (wharfedale seems to be bright, i wud prefer neutral to warm)
4. JBL cinema 300 (looked good vfm)
5. Marantz + Jamo (out of budget)
plus few more with denon avr

Out of all these, i liked denon1612 + paradigmct70. Price - 56k
2 questions
1. Does this combination looking good as per technical specs and match. For my primary requirement of movies, is this combination good or should i be looking at some other combos.
2. Can i consider paradigm speakers with denon1312 instead of 1612 for budget considerations. Dealer advised that for my room size 17ft by 9ft, 1312 is as good as 1612

Thanks in advance

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back