Expert advice needed - HT setup around 1Lakh

raaabo

Hi all,

I'm from Mumbai, looking for a good HT + Music + Gaming setup for around 1 Lakh. The budget has to cover an AV receiver + 5.1 / 7.1.

Here's what I've liked so far:

Denon AVR 1912 - 40K

Speakers

Config 1
Jamo S606 (fronts) - 25K
Jamo C401 (surr) - 14K
Jamo C400 (Cent) - 12.5K
Jamo Sub250 - 20K
-------------------------------
Spkr Total = 71.5K | System Total = 112K

Config 2
Paradigm CT 110 - 53K
or
Paradigm CT 90 - 44K
System Total = 93K / 84K

Config 3
Jamo S606 (Fronts) - 25K
Jamo S602 (Surr) - 9.5K
Jamo C400 (Cent) - 12.5K
Jamo Sub200 - 14K
Spkr Total = 61K | System Total = 101K

Now here are my questions for the experts:

1. Am I getting ripped off on prices?

2. Is it really true that the S606 has delicate tweeters that tend to blow? I've seen a post or two on different forums, but has anyone experienced it here?

3. Is it best to try and find the S60 CEN instead of C400 and basically get the recommended Jamo S606 HCS6 HT setup for tonal matching?

4. Any other brands Is should check out that have the tonal characteristics of the S606 (at the same price)?

5. I liked the movie performance of the CT 90 & CT 110, but wasn't thrilled by their music performance; however, since the AMP is 7.1, would it be too stupid of me to consider the following?:
Config 4 - 7.1
Denon 1912 - 40K
Jamo S606 (for stereo/music) - 25K
CT 90 (for center, woofer, sides and rears) - 44K
System cost = 109K

Thanks in advance for your time.

Raaabo

Jamo S series is not that great.

Denon 1911 - 30k
Paradigm monitor 7 - 36k
Velodyne sub - 22k
Paradigm CC190 - 13 or 14k
Paradigm ADP - 15k

Guess I over shot your budget by 15k , but you have a perfect system. :)

Hello friends,

I have decided to go for the DENON AVR 1612.

My room size is - 17 ft x 12ft
Listening preference - 70% Music ; 30% Movies

Kindly suggest :

1. Floor Speakers - (Make and Price)
2. Woofer/Sub - (Make and Price)
3. Satellite speakers - (Make and Price)
4. Centre speaker

My Budget is @1,00,000/- for the whole package (5.1)

P.S. - I have the cabling for speakers already in place.

Thanks for your inputs.

Manoj

Jamo S series is not that great.
Denon 1911 - 30k
Paradigm monitor 7 - 36k
Velodyne sub - 22k
Paradigm CC190 - 13 or 14k
Paradigm ADP - 15k
Guess I over shot your budget by 15k , but you have a perfect system. :)

@Kittu, thanks for the reply. However I want DLNA, so need to stick with 1912.

As for the speakers, I will try and get an audition of the setup you suggested, any suggestions on where I should go in Mumbai?

Sound is a personal choice, and both my wife and I like the tonal characteristics of the S606 for the kind of music we listen to. I'm just concerned about the reports of blown tweeters :)

Also, any thoughts on my wacky idea of trying to set-up 7.1 using 2 Jamo floor standers and the Paradigm 5.1?

Also, has anyone got a quote for the Denon 2112ci?

Did you hear the paradigm? Ill also suggest you to go for a nice sub like the Velodyne. Do not hurry up to 7.1. With your budget go for a 5.1 and then add the additional 2 later. If you prefer sound of Jamo over Paradigm, go with Jamo for all the 7 speakers.

Please give a try of Sonodyne sonus package with 2605v2 FLS.
I did audition the Jamo's you are talking about. Sonodyne Sonus package beats them easily.Also, the roar 210 sub will blow away the jamo sub by miles.

My advice, buy it in the month of January where the company gives annual sale discounts.It was 26% this year when I got it.

If you are fond of music over movies, give an audition of yamaha AVR 667.
moreover the Jamo 606 has poor built quality.Anything foreign is not necessary better.

Thanks guys,

I chose the Jamo S608 + S60 Cen + S60 surr + Sub250 + Denon 1912 + cabling and setup. Got it for 108K total, with 2 year warranty from Sound Decisions in Bandra, where I live. Nice old man. He doesn't have the space to audition sets, but gives bigger discounts than everyone else.. so audition elsewhere and then come here and bargain :)

To be honest, the Jamo were the closest to the sound both my wife and I wanted in our 1 L budget. I personally prefer flat response speakers and amps, and would have much rather bought a DSP Genelec system, but I can't afford them - despite discounts from Pandam available to me :(

As an amateur musician (the polite way of saying I suck), I like studio-type sound instead of the type of tonal colouring that most speakers do, and since our usage is 80% Music, 20% movies / TataSky+ HD, we went with our ears instead of specs. I just hope I don't blow a tweeter! :)

@deepakgang: thanks, I did decide to go with a complete Jamo system taking into consideration the tonal matching. I guess it was just a wild thought that crossed my mind to try and mix and match - using an obviously built-for-music pair with a built-for-HT 5.1. Thankfully I didn't succumb to temptation to try something wacky ;)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back