External HDD not being read by PS3

gchirag

Hi Guys,

I have a PS3 500GB console which I bought recently. I find to my utter dismay that it is not reading my Seagate Expansion 1 TB external Hard drive. All my movies are stored here & i intend on playing them through my PS3 into my big screen.

The format is NTFS i checked. Please assist.

Thanks in advance

So I would need to format it to FAT? That means I would need to take a backup of all the data. OMG :sad:

Oh God that means I have to play directly from my laptop! Most of my files are 1080 4gb plus. Laptop doesnt play big files smoothly sometimes. Moreover my Denon 2113 wasn't playing sound when I connected the laptop. Picture was coming through the Pj though. :sad:

If picture is coming through pj and no sound through avr then you should adjust the windows audio settings to use hdmi as the playback device. You will also need to configure the player.

If picture is coming through pj and no sound through avr then you should adjust the windows audio settings to use hdmi as the playback device. You will also need to configure the player.

Thanks man...audio is working now after I altered some settings through my laptop. I noticed mostly in old movies audio isn't coming out from the rear speakers. probably the format isn't 5.1

Im contemplating buying a media player to play all files instead of depending on PS3 & working with such constraints.

DO let me know your thoughts

cheers

You can use mediainfo tool to know the audio channels, codecs and other information about movie files. Media player is easy to use and is very useful if you mostly have downloaded contents. Asus oplay mini is a recommended entry model.

There are a few easier ways without buying a media player

1. Plug the HDD to your laptop and connect laptop HDMI out to TV / PJ. You can control players like VLC using your wifi phone using softwares like this android-vlc-remote - An Android app for accessing the VideoLAN Client (VLC) HTTP interface - Google Project Hosting and another option on Bluetooth is Download Bluetooth Remote Control 1.0.3 - Windows

2. Since you have PS3 I assume that both PS3 and Laptop are on the same wifi / LAN network. Install PS3 Media Server (google for link) on your laptop and stream movies (Any size, any file system) from laptop to PS3. The only bottleneck will be the wifi and that can be avoided by connecting the Laptop and PS3 by a LAN cable (I can guide for the rest of the IP settings). This way you can also use your PS3 controller or remote.

On the point of conversion of file system from NTFS to FAT, there are ways to do that without disturbing the FileSystem by using softwares of the like of Partition Magic

^^^

they wont be useful for him as
1.he mentioned laptop is not able to play cinemas smoothly
2.most of the contents are over 4GB,so a formatting wont help..

a asus player as baiju mentioned is the best and inexpensive hassle free way

^^^

they wont be useful for him as
1.he mentioned laptop is not able to play cinemas smoothly
2.most of the contents are over 4GB,so a formatting wont help..

a asus player as baiju mentioned is the best and inexpensive hassle free way

I was aware that his laptop does not play movies well sometimes signifying his player settings need to be tweaked or video drivers upgraded or screen resolution reduced. The fact that the laptop has HDMI out signifies it is not a too old laptop and hence to me seems not limited by CPU power (of P3 era). Such machines should be able to handle 1080p UPnP streaming more than smoothly. So that is indeed the cheapest option in my opinion, he just needs a LAN cord and a streaming software.

I know I am replying after 16 days, but if it helps:

1. Use mkv2vob if your videos are in MKV format. It gives you an option to check FAT32 and output files are automatically split at <4 GB each
2. I use a WD Live Media Player with 1 TB of built-in hard disk, in parallel - I have connected them both to the same Wi-Fi router, so whenever I have to play movies from a 1 TB hard disk or the WD in-built HDD, I connect the 1 TB (which can continue to have NTFS) to the WD player and use the Media Server feature on PS3 and access all the data on these disks. Matter of convenience, of course only if it is your Plan B of getting another player.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back