False ceiling plus thermal proofing: An improvization..?

MJ23Bulls

Hi all,
I'm just jotting down what comes to my mind. There might be some flaws in the thinking. Don't hesitate to point out them.

Of course, false ceiling with gypsum boards adds elegance and the designs are countless. Other advanced stuff, I'm not aware of.

However, the space between the ceiling & the gypsum boards is like an oven; the heat is accumulated and leakages happens through the light fixtures' gaps. (I've got the open terrace above my roof; so, these ideas to block out some of the heat through the roof)

On discussing this with the interior designer, I suggested to affix the flexi thermocol (used in automobiles, especially cars's roof) on the inside of the gypsum board so that the heat is absolutely blocked out. But the interior designer is skeptical about the gypsum boards becoming too heavy and in the long run, the aluminium channels which hold the false ceiling may give way.

So, the next option is why not just stick the flexi-thermocol straight on to the ceiling itself. (Wow! What an idea sirji... moment? I don't think so) :)

Let me give the pricings for this material
8mm - 39" x 49" is INR 120~
12 mm - 39" x 49" is INR 150~
These are the price in my locality. It might still be cheaper with the wholesale agents. (Any one aware of such dealers in Chennai)

Whatever may be the cost of false ceiling project, this kind of thermal proofing will add up, let's say for an 130sq.ft room, another INR 1,200/- (for 8mm) or INR 1,500/-(for 12 mm) plus glue & labor.

Is it a viable option?

If so, this would be a nice solution for people like me who have an open terrace above.

Option 1: A regular false ceiling can be built here onwards.

OR

Option 2: This thermocol layer can be painted white (or any other color as for the ceiling) and left as it is. (As an experiment only). Only caveat is that the ants & other insects might find this an haven-. I'm sure one can give it a try for one summer. If not viable, tear away the sheets & get the ceiling painted again. Nominal damage only!

OR

Option 3: Those who don't fancy a false ceiling & not interested to spend more for LED lighting et al (invariably associated with the false ceiling installations nowadays) can just screw the gypsum boards straight through these thermocol sheets into the ceiling. (Ah! what a crazy idea!) & then putty and paint. Yes! The thermocol is sandwiched between the ceiling and the gypsum board. Hey! With this kind of (el cheapo) setup, one not only avoids spending for LEDs & their wiring costs but also gets to keep his ceiling fans :eek:hyeah:. (This is really getting crazier now, ah!). With proper putty works, insects can be kept off this ceiling.

More importantly, there is no heat accumulated between the gypsum board and ceiling as is the case with the regular false ceiling.

Brickbats are welcome! Please read the first para again!

Cheers!
BK

Disclaimer: This is only for those with an open terrace above and living in the plains.

I posted on the other thread. I think the false ceiling idea is a little extreme. If sun-reflecting paint on terrace and reflecting-windows don't work, I think you should consider higher tonnage as a false ceiling will cost a lot.

PS: I asked you some questions in the other thread.

..... I think the false ceiling idea is a little extreme. If sun-reflecting paint on terrace and reflecting-windows don't work, I think you should consider higher tonnage as a false ceiling will cost a lot.

Reflective paint is an option; sure, I'll do it.
Higher tonnage a/c might cool the room better and keep it cooler too. However, the false ceiling along with flexi-thermocol thermal proofing might help in reducing the demand on the a/c. Just a thought! I might be wrong too. As I live on the FF with an open terrance above, I need to look into this thermal proofing for the entire house.

I had a flat in Hyderabad where the false ceiling guys have done just that. First they fixed the L shaped GI strips were fixed onto the ceilings to support the gypsum false ceiling. Then 3" thermacol sheets were affixed onto the roof. Thereafter, the regular false ceiling was done. Lastly, the terrace was painted with some white compound to reflect the heat away. This has reduced the heat radiation from the ceiling considerably.

I had a flat in Hyderabad where the false ceiling guys have done just that. First they fixed the L shaped GI strips were fixed onto the ceilings to support the gypsum false ceiling. Then 3" thermacol sheets were affixed onto the roof. Thereafter, the regular false ceiling was done. Lastly, the terrace was painted with some white compound to reflect the heat away. This has reduced the heat radiation from the ceiling considerably.

Wow! 3" thermacol! That's really cool. Thanks for your input, Captrajesh!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back