False Ceiling... Vibration Problem.

Subcenter2009

Dear Friends,

All this while, I had been faced with the problem of severe vibration from the plywood false ceiling while playing bass notes on my audio system/Home theater. Now, after I removed the plywood ceiling after a Termite problem, the vibration is limited to the wardrobe doors and the window and room doors. Also, there is a slight echo which is a new development. My room size is 27 X 10 sqft. The L/R floorstanders are on the long end of the room i.e. on the 10 feet wall. There is an open terrace above this room.
I have 1 Wharfedale SW 150 in front and 2 Reginald 8" active subwoofers in the rear corner. All 3 have been phase matched to my floorstanders with the help of my SoundCheck 2 SPL meter by The Alan Parsons Project.

Now, I want to install a false ceiling for 3 reasons:
1. Thermal insulation for my 1.5 tonne split A/c. The cooling of the new A/c is barely enough in the summer because of the room size and the above open terrace.
2. To hide the conduits for my future LED projector.
3. To possibly improve the sound quality.

Please don't suggest a POP ceiling as I would want to hide the cables of my soon to be projector behind a false ceiling.
Will acoustic boards like Anutone improve the sound quality? Will packing the rear of the panels with stuff like Glass wool help?
Will acoustic ceilings vibrate annoyingly? Will I face Termite problem with Acoustic board ceilings?
Put simply, I want Thermal insulation and better room sound without facing the problem of vibrations ever again.
Please help,
Yours,
Subcenter2009:yahoo:

Dear Friends,

All this while, I had been faced with the problem of severe vibration from the plywood false ceiling while playing bass notes on my audio system/Home theater. Now, after I removed the plywood ceiling after a Termite problem, the vibration is limited to the wardrobe doors and the window and room doors. Also, there is a slight echo which is a new development. My room size is 27 X 10 sqft. The L/R floorstanders are on the long end of the room i.e. on the 10 feet wall. There is an open terrace above this room.
I have 1 Wharfedale SW 150 in front and 2 Reginald 8" active subwoofers in the rear corner. All 3 have been phase matched to my floorstanders with the help of my SoundCheck 2 SPL meter by The Alan Parsons Project.

1. Thermal insulation for my 1.5 tonne split A/c. The cooling of the new A/c is barely enough in the summer because of the room size and the above open terrace.

Please don't suggest a POP ceiling as I would want to hide the cables of my soon to be projector behind a false ceiling.
Will acoustic boards like Anutone improve the sound quality? Will packing the rear of the panels with stuff like Glass wool help?
Will acoustic ceilings vibrate annoyingly? Will I face Termite problem with Acoustic board ceilings?
Put simply, I want Thermal insulation and better room sound without facing the problem of vibrations ever again.
Please help,
Yours,
Subcenter2009:yahoo:

Try Boral

It will provide insulation as well as sound proofing

Wall & Ceiling Insulation - USG Boral

They must be present in India as well, recently they displayed there products in the interiors expo at Pragati Maidan.

I went there as I am an interior designer so keep on looking for new products.

If you need more insulation you can make to ceiling with two layers and provide an air gap in between.

You can use ceiling tiles made of acoustic material like the link below but the look of your residence will be that of an office.
Mineral Fibre - ERIS 9mm

One alternate I have used is sticking fiberglass mat (we get a 1" mat in Mumbai) on gypsum board. Obviously the gypsum board got a bit heavier and the contractor had to put more metal behind the gypsum board to carry the extra weight. There is still a slight vibration but at those volumes my neighbours start complaining too.

For the Chennai summer, gypsum board alone can't handle the heat. You definitely need something more. With a layer 6mm or 8mm flexible thermocol, the combo would do wonders. Flexi thermocol is used for automobile ceilings and packaging. If you've got a lining works guy (for car seats et al) near you, you can ask him to get it for you.

Flexi thermo is light weight; still, the aluminium channels (used to mount the gypsum boards) need to be reinforced.

Glass wool usage is somewhat discussable for its pros and cons.

Whatever is used for false ceiling, the vibrations will be there. Because, the alumunium channels used to mount them are of very thin sheet like material. Very easily flexible so they tend do vibrate much more easily. Unless you convince your interior designer to use some sort real strong hardware to mount the false ceiling, the vibrations will be there.

First thing first! You must treat your entire house for termites as you've already got it. You can get it done through a dealer or DIY. The insecticide is available in a shop near Egmore Railway Station. I don't know whether you live in an apartment or an individual house. Because, termite proofing requires drilling holes on the floor (Removal of entire tiles/flooring is advised). In an apartment it may not be feasible except a superficial coating of the insecticide.

Dear MJ23Bulls and friends,
I live on the first floor. And yes, the whole building was recently treated by the Pest Control guys yes, by drilling holes and spraying pressurised liquid. Pestaways Pvt. Ltd., I think was the company name. The termite problem seems to have been solved for the time being, at least.
I know that pesticide shop near Egmore station. I used to buy fertilizers from there for my terrace garden. Now, they no longer stock fertilizers.. only rat poisons and termite treatment materials. Do you know where to get good fertilizers elsewhere in Chennai?
I now have decided to permanently do away with the false ceiling because I just can't stand vibrations during my solemn listening sessions.
Thanks for a lot of info.
The Ac may not be that effective, that's all. But I am experiencing new found bliss after removing the guilty vibrating false ceiling.
Thanks again.
Subcenter2009

Hi Subcentre,

1. I agree .... No false ceiling is FAR Better than a vibrating False ceiling.

2. I have covered 30% of my ceiling with 3 inch thick, medium density fibre wool, seperated by a 4 inch air gap.

The air gap accommodates concealed Cove lighting.

I have used a sturdy wooden frame. Nylon rope cris-crossed accross the wooden frame prevents the fibre wool from falling down due to gravity.

The enitre structure is wrapped in jute cloth ( just Rs 60 per meter) and it gives the entire setup a very nice look ( IMHO).

I have similarly treated about 60% of my walls.

The treatment has (IMHO) done WONDERS.... My relatively small room ( about 14 ft long x 11 feet wide ) accomodates LARGE Speakers ( Stereo Set up) drivven by amps delivering upto 400 Watts per channel into the speakers.

Huge Bass, and really loud SPLs, without obvious room resonance....

Hello,
That is great. False Ceilings can lend a definitive look. Feel to your rooms & help you create a unique ambiance. Thanks for posting this post
Thanks
Zarajohn@

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back