Fans of Television Series

Cool well the synopsis did not impress me, but since Rajesh has vouched for it, I will give it a shot, Rajesh I think your choice of TV series has matched mine the most on this thread...

Watching Billions, I am at EP 07 and I am just Loving it, another great recommendation from you. I think Justified also you Suggested (or was that esantosh.. :))

The Expanse Season 2

I just finished the first eight episodes (5 to go).

I actually started watching the first season of 'The Expanse' on a Sunday afternoon. It was so interesting that I finished all episodes on the same day. But, I wasn't as enthusiastic as sam9s is. Firstly, the core plot of S1 was not something we haven't seen before (noir-esque search for a missing girl, infected ship). So, while I kept watching, it was interesting no doubt, but also felt vaguely familiar. Secondly, when it was all over, I was left feeling that it was all a 'setup for something greater'. Given the capacity of people to screw up even great shows, I wanted to see the second season before judging it.

So, here I am. Eight episodes in, the stakes are higher compared to the first season. The show has not only picked up pace, but there is more action, a little more depth to characters and better sets and special effects (if I remember correctly). If they keep this up till the end of this season, I will be tempted to increase my rating for the show.

I only hope that SyFy has enough money to finish this series and not hang it out to dry in the middle.

@sam9s,

I had written about Justified back in 2013. But, it was mentioned in this thread by someone else before that. IIRC, technobhatt was probably the first? or musicbee?

If I am not mistaken, you are the one who recommended it to @Rajesh Karia

Last edited:
Cool well the synopsis did not impress me, but since Rajesh has vouched for it, I will give it a shot, Rajesh I think your choice of TV series has matched mine the most on this thread...

Watching Billions, I am at EP 07 and I am just Loving it, another great recommendation from you. I think Justified also you Suggested (or was that esantosh.. :))
Billions is a hidden gem. So damn entertaining.. top notch acting and screenplay. You will love season 2 even more for sure..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

As they say dont judge the book by its cover. I had exactly the same predicament as yours until I watched the 1st 2 episodes. While burning ourselves with so many TV shows, i agree the hardest part is to settle into a new one. I am not a big fan of sifi or super hero stuff, give me a a human drama & I am game. MITJ deals with the entire spectrum of human emotion in an Urban city in a very subtle way, it draws a very beautiful canvas with all shades of colours. I confess that I have never heard a symphony orchestra or am a big fan of it, but this show really kept me engrossed during the beautifully played music rendition. Please watch it on Amazon Prime, the PQ & sound quality is so much better during streaming & gives an immersive experience.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Expanse Season 2

I actually started watching the first season of 'The Expanse' on a Sunday afternoon. It was so interesting that I finished all episodes on the same day. But, I wasn't as enthusiastic as sam9s is. Firstly, the core plot of S1 was not something we haven't seen before (noir-esque search for a missing girl, infected ship). So, while I kept watching, it was interesting no doubt, but also felt vaguely familiar. Secondly, when it was all over, I was left feeling that it was all a 'setup for something greater'. Given the capacity of people to screw up even great shows, I wanted to see the second season before judging it.

So, here I am. Eight episodes in, the stakes are higher compared to the first season. The show has not only picked up pace, but there is more action, a little more depth to characters and better sets and special effects (if I remember correctly). If they keep this up till the end of this season, I will be tempted to increase my rating for the show.

I only hope that SyFy has enough money to finish this series and not hang it out to dry in the middle.

@sam9s,

I had written about Justified back in 2013. But, it was mentioned in this thread by someone else before that. IIRC, technobhatt was probably the first? or musicbee?

If I am not mistaken, you are the one who recommended it to @Rajesh Karia

First Expanse, well yes I was really impressed by the show, see the sci fi shows usually follow a very linear approach, and Expanse is no different, but its all about presentation, writing, and performances, rest like effects and action comes later, Expanse had everything, really very well done, which is rare, especially in a true sci fi TV show. But you stuck to it till se02 latest episode ... that speaks in itself ...:)

Coming to justified,.... so I think it was you only who recommended it, as I can see the old posts you shared (I wonder how you manage to remember all this and dig out old posts..:)), that it was your review that had me added the show to my watch list, and now its in my all time top 5 TV series. ..:). I was in love with Timothy Olyphant and after Santa Clarita Diet, I am officially his fan.. :)

Last edited:
A. I confess that I have never heard a symphony orchestra or am a big fan of it, but this show really kept me engrossed during the beautifully played music rendition. Please watch it on Amazon Prime, the PQ & sound quality is so much better during streaming & gives an immersive experience.

I will start right after Billions , and yes would watch on AP only, I only D/L if the show is not available on any streaming service ....... and BTW, I know you are not into sci-fi or superhero stuff, but when you have human drama correctly portrayed as a superhero, with great writing and action you end up with something like DareDevil ...:)

Give it a shot you might like it (if you already havent seen it) ..... Honorary mention to HEROES SEASON 1 only ...rest were just garbage, Human Drama with super heroes.

Expanse had everything, really very well done, which is rare, especially in a true sci fi TV show

They have renewed for a third season. But there are six books in the series. If I had lot of money to spare, I'd fund Syfy if they could not finish the series :)

What I like about Expanse are the little science bits (just like Justified used to throw intelligent conversations around). There's an episode in S2 where a character explains the collapse of complex systems due to cascading effects from a breakdown. Very well done! That is a simple way to explain the interconnectedness of systems. It reminded me of this article.

(I wonder how you manage to remember all this and dig out old posts..:))

I don't know. I think it is because I spend an awful lot of time to write even the simplest of posts :eek:. But, if you ask me what I had for lunch barely 20 mins later, I won't remember.

The Expanse Season 2

I watched the 1st season with great interest. Lapped it up over a weekend. Have been waiting for the season to finish so i can reserve another weekend for binge watching season 2.

IPL is currently interfering with my TV series time. MITJ / Billions are on my next to watch list.

Billions - Season 1 Brilliant just one word for it, and entertaining as well. The first few episodes are very tech oriented with quite a few, stock market and Hedge fund tech talk, which I could not fully understand, had to wiki a few things, but then after like 3-4 episodes, the tone is set and the actual cat and mouse game takes the fourth gear and it's a pleasure ride from there on, until the ultra-climactic, super explosive last episode. LOVED IT... :). Highly Looking fw to Season 2. ... 7.5/10 for this one

Re: Brit/Europeon/Nordic TV series?

Any latest europeon/nordic TV series?

Watched 'Trapped' recently. It's kinda slow moving series but with great visuals of iceland. Worth watching once.

Sam, Season 2 of Billions is airing right now: Episode 8 as of today, I think. You could probably wait for a couple of weeks and then start watching it all.

^^ Yes I know, I checked it and I could see 7 ep aired down the line and as I usually/always do I will wait for the entire season to complete...:)

Last edited:
So finished the balance 2 seasons of Mozart in the Jungle. Thoroughly enjoyed the caravan of New York symphony travelling to Mexico in Season 2. The story shifts momentarily to Italy in Season 3 & surprise surprise, Monica Bellucci features in the Italian sojourn, simply amazing performance on her part.

The soul of the show is Rodrigo played by Gael Garcia Bernal of The Motorcycle Diaries & Amores Perros fame. His nahive & saint like mannerisms is brilliant. The other 2 mentions would be Hailey(Lola Kirke) & Thomas(Malcom McDowell) both add a lot of flare to the show.

Overall it is a very well written show with great catchy dialogues. The show makes a impact because its a journey into a different world, into the lives of orchestra players, their trials & tribulations. In the end loved the OBOE.

8/10.

Last edited:
If you like science fiction or are even open to the idea of a well told story set in the near/medium future, do check out The Expanse. It is extremely well made, has a great story line, has great suspense and action and plot lines. Just immensely enjoyable.

And the science fiction bit is mostly the setting. Ultimately, the story is about political intrigue, back-room plotting and machinations, power struggles, and action. But if you are indeed a space buff, one thing that sets The Expanse apart from most other science fiction TV series is that a lot of the space physics they have shown is "real" (except for the hypothetical drives and what-not).

Season 2 is currently airing in SyFy network but Season 1 is available on Amazon Prime.

Seems like The Expanse has lots of good reviews amongst the folks out here, definitely putting it on the watch list & give it a try.

Yes for sci fi fans, this is a must, plus it has everything, political intrigue (as pointed by asliarun), investigation, mystery and great action, add to that ultimate CGI and set designing, its not to be missed by any standard .....:)

It looks like I'll be queuing up "The Expanse" too! Pretty consistent positive reviews here!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back