Few noobish queries..

mekanik

Hi guys.. have been lurking around for a while but was not able to get conclusive answers to decide to go for what..

Basically I am planning a simple 2.1 setup for music and movies for 10x10 room.. So going for the following things though i cannot buy them all at the same time..
1. Speakers - buget is around 20k
2. A/V receiver -budget is around 30k -35k
3. 40"-43" TV

My setup :
Computer(source)->DAC-> HP.

Planning setup for music(50%), TV(40%- Football,movies and music), Movies(10%)
NAS/TV ->A/V network receiver-> Speakers/HP

The whole idea of getting a network receiver is for the multiple connectivity(TV/NAS/phone/tablet) and nothing else..

I looking for final 2.1 setup since I think 5.1 or more will be an overkill for my needs.. :eek:

Had almost finalised on Swan m200mkii, as it fits the bill & sound.. The connectivity is what is confusing esp from receiver to speakers..
Receivers have L/R/C and surround connections but speakers have a interconnectivity between L & R and one input on one unit.
1. So how does the connection work? or is it that these speakers are not meant to be paired with receivers? If so which speakers to look for under 20k budget(Including tax)?
2. is center connection for the sub woofer or are they different?
3. Is it possible to play 2.0 for music and 2.1 for movies without actually playing around with the connections once it is done?

appreciate any suggestions & solutions..

1. Receivers have L/R/C and surround connections but speakers have a interconnectivity between L & R and one input on one unit. So how does the connection work? or is it that these speakers are not meant to be paired with receivers? If so which speakers to look for under 20k budget(Including tax)?

What you are talking are powered computer speakers. These cannot be used with a receiver. Remember, the receiver sends powered output to the speakers. What you need are passive speakers that have L&R connections at the back.

2. is center connection for the sub woofer or are they different?

A center connection is for the center. All receivers and some amplifiers have a sub out that is to be sued for subs. Remember a sub out needs to be amplified. Must sub woofers have amplifiers built in.

3. Is it possible to play 2.0 for music and 2.1 for movies without actually playing around with the connections once it is done?

If you set up a 2.1 connection, and play a CD, what you will get is a 2.0 output only. If you use a DVD player with HDMI connection to the receiver, and play a DVD, you will get 2.1 output.

Cheers

Powered speakers can be used only if AVR has preouts which is hard to find these days in budget models.

Since your planning setup for music is 50% and also no plan to upgrade in future, you can go for stereo amplifier.
Marantz stereo amplifier + PSB alpha BS will suit your budget.

Since your planning setup for music is 50% and also no plan to upgrade in future, you can go for stereo amplifier.
Marantz stereo amplifier + PSB alpha BS will suit your budget.

But then I will lose out on video!! And one of my primary idea to get a receiver is to avoid too many equipments.. the idea might not sound very good to a audiophile.. but given my experience with devices I have/had and tried out,IMHO i don't think I will find too much of difference ..
Also i do plan on connecting my phone/console to TV , maybe through receiver.. i have not worked out the whole thing but I am still searching & researching to understand how the whole thing goes/i want it go..

Consider Onkyo TX 8050 & Yamaha R N 500 Network stereo receivers....But as you said you might loose video inputs....

In an AVR, you have the benefit of playing 2.0 -> 2.0/2.1 and 5.1 -> 2.1 for movies automatically....

You need to make the center & surround speaker settings to No... The AVR will redirect all that information to the front channels....Once you have done this setting, AVR automatically switches between 2.0 for music & 2.1 for movies....

But then I will lose out on video!! And one of my primary idea to get a receiver is to avoid too many equipments.. the idea might not sound very good to a audiophile.. but given my experience with devices I have/had and tried out,IMHO i don't think I will find too much of difference ..
Also i do plan on connecting my phone/console to TV , maybe through receiver.. i have not worked out the whole thing but I am still searching & researching to understand how the whole thing goes/i want it go..

Curious, what advantage are you hoping to get from a receiver?

If all you need the receiver to do is switch between sources, a $20 HDMI switch with a remote can do that for you. Most modern TVs have 3 HDMI inputs so even that may not be required. And they also come nowadays with optical digital out, so you could feed the audio output of your TV to your DAC or directly to your amp.

I also ask because I too am thinking of this strategy. In my case, all I really need is a $100 Roku (or any other media player) that plays everything from streaming video and audio to video/audio from a USB source. This feeds into my TV whose audio out goes into a stereo amp and finally into speakers. Cable set top box goes into another HDMI into the TV (with a switch if needed) and the TV controls what is playing. Gaming console could be another input to the TV, I guess.

Consider Onkyo TX 8050 & Yamaha R N 500 Network stereo receivers....But as you said you might loose video inputs....

In an AVR, you have the benefit of playing 2.0 -> 2.0/2.1 and 5.1 -> 2.1 for movies automatically....

You need to make the center & surround speaker settings to No... The AVR will redirect all that information to the front channels....Once you have done this setting, AVR automatically switches between 2.0 for music & 2.1 for movies....

So latter part that you mentioned that it switches automatically, is possible only in AVR not in a stereo receiver?

Curious, what advantage are you hoping to get from a receiver?

If all you need the receiver to do is switch between sources, a $20 HDMI switch with a remote can do that for you. Most modern TVs have 3 HDMI inputs so even that may not be required. And they also come nowadays with optical digital out, so you could feed the audio output of your TV to your DAC or directly to your amp.

I also ask because I too am thinking of this strategy. In my case, all I really need is a $100 Roku (or any other media player) that plays everything from streaming video and audio to video/audio from a USB source. This feeds into my TV whose audio out goes into a stereo amp and finally into speakers. Cable set top box goes into another HDMI into the TV (with a switch if needed) and the TV controls what is playing. Gaming console could be another input to the TV, I guess.

Like i said before i want to avoid too many equipments.. I was also thinking of a HDMI switcher , which i own(brandless) but then again too many cables.. Also if the AVR has transcoding functionality it would be awesome for movies too..
Not very sure on the prices but if a entry level AVR cost as much as entry level stereo receiver why not go for the AVR? I think stereo receiver might have better components than a AVR but then will "I" benefit, as mentioned before I really don't think I will find a difference.. I say this b'coz i have done some blind tests with flac and mp3 of 320 bitrate file and I have to really concentrate to find the difference and doubt I will notice it on a daily basis.. This test was with headphones..

But my mistake was thinking that powered speakers will work with AVR and checked only powered speakers.. now I am looking for passive speakers & a possibility to run it without the AVR for atleast couple of months with the PC.. Since i cannot buy all the devices at a time..
But i am glad that you guys helped me out before making a blunder.. :p

So latter part that you mentioned that it switches automatically, is possible only in AVR not in a stereo receiver?

The switch happens only in AVR as it is handles multi-channel audio... With a stereo receiver it doesn't happen as it is fed with only 2 channels of information (2.0)...

Let me explain with example...Let us assume you have a movie which has 5.1 information. Now when this is fed to AVR configured with 2.1, the .1 signal is untouched and the remaining 5 channels of information is shared between the front 2 speakers...

Now with the same signal being fed to stereo receiver, 5.1 is down mixed to 2.0 in your source player & then presented to your stereo receiver as 2.0.. You can either choose play them in 2.0 mode (or) 2.1 Mode using the external crossover on the sub-woofer....

The switch happens only in AVR as it is handles multi-channel audio... With a stereo receiver it doesn't happen as it is fed with only 2 channels of information (2.0)...

Let me explain with example...Let us assume you have a movie which has 5.1 information. Now when this is fed to AVR configured with 2.1, the .1 signal is untouched and the remaining 5 channels of information is shared between the front 2 speakers...

Now with the same signal being fed to stereo receiver, 5.1 is down mixed to 2.0 in your source player & then presented to your stereo receiver as 2.0.. You can either choose play them in 2.0 mode (or) 2.1 Mode using the external crossover on the sub-woofer....

Do you mean in AVR .1 signal is lost?

So narrowed down to following speakers
KEF Q100(way out of my budget but i like the reviews, might just wait and save up for it)
Boston Acoustics A 26
Q Acoustics 2020I

now coming to receiver .. how do i choose it?
for eq. KEF Q100 states : Amplifier requirements 10 - 100W and
Yamaha R-N500 speaks about Minimum RMS Output Power, Maximum Power 8 ohm, Dynamic Power/Channel. so which do i check for? should i check for anything else other these?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back