Few questions regarding Television and 3D

mahiruha

Hi guys,
yesterday I got a Sony W950A television. Kind of forced to buy it as my old samsung LCD TV died day before yesterday and was not in a good health for a long time. The new TV looks fine and it has lot of settings which I have no clue about. Now regarding 3D I have few questions. I have never seen 3D so not sure what to expect. This TV has active 3D glasses does it mean I have to switch on the glasses before I can use them. The installation guy came with some videos in is usb stick and I find those images terrible to look at through the glasses. He told me those files are for passive 3D not suitable for active 3D viewing. Is this statement true? If somebody can enlighten me regarding this 3D stuff that will be really helpful. I got the 3D bundle offer with 3D blu ray player and 5 movies so I can try them. Couldn't try them yesterday as the bluray player was faulty but the guys have replaced it. If anybody can post standard picture settings that will also be helpful.
Thanks.

Just try a 3d bluray disc and try it out.
SBS full form is side by side I guess.
It means that there will actually be 2 images played juxtaposed which are little skewed w.r.t each other. A passive 3d glasses will do the trick of combining them to give a depth effect. Experts please correct me if I am wrong.
Since yours is a active 3d tv it wont work with them as they have a totally different mechanism to get the temporal 3d effect.

BTW without get much disturbed by 3d , how was the 2d ?
How much difference do you feel between your old sammy and this set w.r.t 2d?
Thanks.

Hello Dirac,
thanks for your reply. Well the 2D picture quality is very good. Normal SD channels are ok and HD channels look brilliant. I have noticed slight lip sync problem in star movies HD . Need to figure out how to fix it. I think it is not fare to compare with my samsung TV as it was a 2006 model and served me well . The TV produces lot of details with far superior contrast.

Thanks.

Hi guys,
yesterday I got a Sony W950A television. Kind of forced to buy it as my old samsung LCD TV died day before yesterday and was not in a good health for a long time. The new TV looks fine and it has lot of settings which I have no clue about. Now regarding 3D I have few questions. I have never seen 3D so not sure what to expect. This TV has active 3D glasses does it mean I have to switch on the glasses before I can use them. The installation guy came with some videos in is usb stick and I find those images terrible to look at through the glasses. He told me those files are for passive 3D not suitable for active 3D viewing. Is this statement true? If somebody can enlighten me regarding this 3D stuff that will be really helpful. I got the 3D bundle offer with 3D blu ray player and 5 movies so I can try them. Couldn't try them yesterday as the bluray player was faulty but the guys have replaced it. If anybody can post standard picture settings that will also be helpful.
Thanks.
There are three types of 3D sources:
  • Frame Packed 3D: This is available in original 3D BDs only. Google the term and you will understand what it is. Suffice to say that when an original 3D BD is played (via a 3D BD player), the TV will switch to 3D mode automatically.
  • Side-by-Side (SBS) 3D: This is common with downloaded content. When played on a 3D TV, the TV does not switch to 3D mode automatically. The content is shown as two half frames side by side, exactly dividing the screen. Each half frame is 1920x540 pixels. By pressing the 3D button on the remote, the TV switches to 3D mode and the two frames are combined to give a 3D image/picture.
  • There is a 3rd less used/popular model of 3d which is top-bottom. It is much similar to SBS except that there are two half frames at top and bottom, exactly dividing the screen. Each half frame is 960x1080 pixels. You need to press the 3D button on the remote, the TV switches to 3D mode and the two frames are combined to give a 3D picture.

This is as far as 3D source and presentation is concerned. Note that original blu-ray discs (BDs) use frame packed method only which is true 3D.

There is no such thing as 3D meant for passive 3D. Absolute crap statement by the person who told you so. 3D is 3D. It is the TV and panel technology that displays 3D in active mode or passive mode.

To watch 3D, you need 3D glasses ... ummm, except for one Sharp model (or Toshiba model? forget which) that produces glassless 3D. But we will talk about active and passive 3D with glasses only.

In active 3D, the glasses have active shutter technology that rapidly open and close shutters for each eye rapidly thus showing different image to each eye. The glasses have an electronic circuit to do this that is operated by a battery (rechargeable or button cell). The glasses have an ON/OFF switch and glasses must be switched ON to enable 3D viewing.

In passive 3D, the TV produces polarized half image that is shown to each eye by means of polarized, battery less glasses. There is nothing to switch on - simply wear them and you will see 3D when TV displays the 3D content.

There is huge imformation on the net about 3D, active vs. passive, how active 3D is Full HD 3D while passive is half-HD 3D, etc. Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages and you can read about them.

I hope that this is sufficient information to start with. Shoot a specific question and FMs will be glad to answer.

Hi JFK,
just a quick question regarding these active glasses from sony do they already come with the battery placed inside or I need to do it myself. I found a white transparent switch on top of the glass pressed it hoping to see it color change but nothing happens. So just wondering. The installation guys doesn't know much and I don't expect from them either :)
Thanks.

Hi JFK,
just a quick question regarding these active glasses from sony do they already come with the battery placed inside or I need to do it myself. I found a white transparent switch on top of the glass pressed it hoping to see it color change but nothing happens. So just wondering. The installation guys doesn't know much and I don't expect from them either :)
Thanks.
Are these glasses with rechrageable batter or coin/button cell? If the glasses are with rechargeable battery then you will see a mini-USB port and you will get an adpater/docking station for charging. For coin cell, there will be a compartment (at the nose bridge) to install the battery.

Usually, in the case of the latter, the coin cell is not pre-installed in the glasses. It is in a separate sealed plastic pouch. One needs to remove the battery from the pouch and install it in the glasses.

The semi-transparent white button is the ON/OFF button. When you press it once, it should blink green a couple of times and then the active shutter glasses are turned ON. When you press it again, it will blink red couple of times and will switch the glasses OFF. If nothing is happening, maybe the battery is not installed. Or if the glasses are rechargeable type, you need to charge them at the docking/charging station (supplied with the kit).

having read forums on w900a , glasses come with cell they are not rechargeable, congrats on your purchase w950a is the best offering from sony this year i am expecting mine tommorow morning , please share more details what size u got and at what price, i also took the 3d combo offer hopefully player would be free from any niggles , found these settings do give them a try
Sony KDL-55W900A 3D LCD HDTV Settings | Home Theater

Are these glasses with rechrageable batter or coin/button cell? If the glasses are with rechargeable battery then you will see a mini-USB port and you will get an adpater/docking station for charging. For coin cell, there will be a compartment (at the nose bridge) to install the battery.

Usually, in the case of the latter, the coin cell is not pre-installed in the glasses. It is in a separate sealed plastic pouch. One needs to remove the battery from the pouch and install it in the glasses.

The semi-transparent white button is the ON/OFF button. When you press it once, it should blink green a couple of times and then the active shutter glasses are turned ON. When you press it again, it will blink red couple of times and will switch the glasses OFF. If nothing is happening, maybe the battery is not installed. Or if the glasses are rechargeable type, you need to charge them at the docking/charging station (supplied with the kit).

Hi,
thanks for your reply. The installation guy just came and the 3D stuff worked and quite liked it. Its bit of strain on the brain but I guess with time it get adjusted. The glasses have inbuilt battery so I just need to press the button bit hard and the color changes to green and a message appears on the tv. It works flawlessly.

Thanks.

having read forums on w900a , glasses come with cell they are not rechargeable, congrats on your purchase w950a is the best offering from sony this year i am expecting mine tommorow morning , please share more details what size u got and at what price, i also took the 3d combo offer hopefully player would be free from any niggles , found these settings do give them a try
Sony KDL-55W900A 3D LCD HDTV Settings | Home Theater

Hi Shainz,
yes this TV is very new. Actually I wanted to get 40'' Hx 850 but it is out of stock. So Just found from one shop they have this 46" w950 A I just grabbed it. Didn't get a very good deal but I just needed a TV badly. Just got a Rs 3000 discount on MRP. I will be getting the extended 2 year warranty as I don't trust this products very much. I will try your suggested settings. Lets see how it goes. The best thing about this tv is it looks very nice itself. Best of luck for your tv delivery tomorrow.
thanks.

Artificial 3D, whether active or passive, is strainful to the eyes. And in that, Active 3D is "more painful" than passive 3D. It remains to the individual what "more painful" means.

Hi Shainz,
yes this TV is very new. Actually I wanted to get 40'' Hx 850 but it is out of stock. So Just found from one shop they have this 46" w950 A I just grabbed it. Didn't get a very good deal but I just needed a TV badly. Just got a Rs 3000 discount on MRP. I will be getting the extended 2 year warranty as I don't trust this products very much. I will try your suggested settings. Lets see how it goes. The best thing about this tv is it looks very nice itself. Best of luck for your tv delivery tomorrow.
thanks.
Sony does not do much bargains. At most you could have knocked off another 2K.

Hi,
I am facing a peculiar problem with my remote. As my bluray player is also sony like the TV whenever I am playing bluray the TV remote is working to control the bluray player with very minimal TV controlling functionality. For example I can no longer enter in the TV menu to change different picture and sound settings. Pressing the option button takes me to the bluray player option.How to solve this issue?

Thanks.

Well found a solution. We just need to turn off the Bravia sync setting which comes under connected external device menu.
Thanks.

Hi guys,
any idea how to connect laptop to the W950 tv by wifi direct mode. I have enabled the wifi direct in my TV which makes TV behaves like a access point. Now my laptop can connect to that access point. So the connection has established but I am not too sure how to stream something from laptop to TV. E.g if I am watching something in vlc media player in laptop can I see it in TV via this wifi direct mode. Tvs are getting really complicated these days. :)

Thanks.

Hello Anubis,
thanks for suggestions. I have already done those steps and watched the videos but it wasn't clear to me how send stuffs to TV from non sony media players. Looks like in this link they have shown it with windows media player .

How to send contents and playback to TV from computer? : FAQ : Sony Asia Pacific

I am not sure if it actually works or what is the working methodology for VLC player. Will try it out at home.

Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back