Fiio X3 with epic new firmware 3.0

Cherian

Those who considered the Fiio X3 and were not impressed, may want to check out the dramatic improvement in sound with the recently released fw 3.0.

There is also a moddable new UI and improved MP3 handling capabilities, but it's the the sound improvement that is stunning, both through headphones and line out.

Some reviewers have rated it as "90% of X5"

Those who considered the Fiio X3 and were not impressed, may want to check out the dramatic improvement in sound with the recently released fw 3.0.

There is also a moddable new UI and improved MP3 handling capabilities, but it's the the sound improvement that is stunning, both through headphones and line out.

Some reviewers have rated it as "90% of X5"

Thanks a ton Cherian. Will upgrade mine right away and post feedback.

Edit: I also want to use the Line out. How do I connect the line out from the Fiio to my Denon 1707. What kind of cable do I need. I am attaching a picture of the 1707's rear.

Attachments

• 1707.jpg
    1707.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Thanks a ton Cherian. Will upgrade mine right away and post feedback.

Edit: I also want to use the Line out. How do I connect the line out from the Fiio to my Denon 1707. What kind of cable do I need. I am attaching a picture of the 1707's rear.

Hi John,

I use a cable with a stereo pin at one end and two RCA jacks at the other that goes into my amp. Cost me about 400 bucks at Chroma.

You can also choose an alternate mode: Use a coaxial cable to connect to your receiver, in which case you'll be using the DAC of the Denon. Maybe fun to test both and choosing the best output?

Hope you enjoy the new sound as much as I did!

Did you guys do the 3.0 update? How does it sound to you?

It took me a couple of days to get used to the new sound. The word that jumps to mind is 'Holographic soundstage' (taken from a headfi reviewer). Front-back positioning in addition to the earlier left-right.

Yes I just did the update yesterday. I am not a heavy user of the X3, so I can just say that it sounds better than before - but not exactly what the improvements are

Am SO enjoying listening to the Fiio X3 now (listening to it as I am writing this), that I HAD to come back to this post and say how good the Fiio X3 has become

There is an beautiful richness to playback, which is coloured, but oh so nicely. The same headphones (Klipsch Image Ones) now sound even more fantastic

When using line out to my car stereo, I cant increase volume to more than 4 (out of 30)
Even there, the richness in the sound is very evident. My car stereo has never sounded so good before

To be honest, initially I was quite disappointed with the X3 - it wasnt measurably better than an ipod. But with the new firmware, it is finally quality audio

However the other major drawback still remains. Navigating through lot of music remains maddening. I have a 64 GB memory card and all my MP3s on it.
Any other firmware coming up which can fix navigation :) ??

AFIK only minor fixes coming up in the next round - like the album cover cropping that occurs in 3.0 and browsing by artist-album. You could also try the 2.14 beta that's still available for a different sound sig (but with occasional freezing issues).

Thank you Cherian! Your post saved me money.. a lot if it...! Just purchased the X3 (over X5 and AK100) and it's on the way!

I just got my ATH M50 today. I have a FiioE6 connected to my Galaxy S4. I fel something missing. Is it the burn in period or should I go for a X3 or any other player or a DAC+AMP like Fiio E17 or E18

... Is it the burn in period or should I go for a X3 or any other player or a DAC+AMP like Fiio E17 or E18

I would give it at least a week of heavy usage to settle in before making a call.

Don't know about the E6, but my M50 sounds well-fed and full-bodied from the X3. It's narrow sound stage balances out the X3's somewhat stretched-out one. YMMW.

How does it connect to the network and play back files that are stored on a NAS? If not does it connect to an external HDD? Copying onto a storage card and playing back will be a problem.

X3 can be used as an external DAC - you can connect it to your NAS if its routed through a computer. Even external HDDs are possible through USB OTG cables, but the external HDD needs to be self-powered.

X3 can be used as an external DAC - you can connect it to your NAS if its routed through a computer. Even external HDDs are possible through USB OTG cables, but the external HDD needs to be self-powered.

AFAIK, the X3 does not support USB OTG. I'm not sure, but I think the X5 does.

BTW the Fiio X1 will be released in a few days at $100. It is the same DAP, but without UBD DAC function.

Share the love, tell us your opinion when it arrives :D

It has been a little over a month now since the X3 arrived and has been in everyday use. I did have a few 'starting' problems, initially with loading the new firmware (3.0) and then formatting a 64GB-C10 Sandisk microSDHC card to FAT32. After six or seven aborted tries, it finally formatted all 64GB of it.

Intial trials were with MP3 tracks (320/44.1) and a Sennheiser PX100-II, immediately I found it startlingly good. More dynamics, cleaner highs, tighter bass, more space between instruments, wider and deeper sound-stage, etc. etc. Then the older Sennheiser HD320 came out of the 'audio-bin' for a try. The sound got more mature (?) but sounded a bit laid-back. FLAC tracks were only just marginally better than MP3, but still extremely good. I know for a fact that the PX-100-II is a bit bass heavy that can add to listening fatigue, and on the other hand, the HD320 just too smooth and a little laid-back. Perhaps a better pair of cans was in order to get the best out of the X3, I thought. Ta-Da...! Sennheiser HD558 arrived and (after some 20 hours of burn-in) things started to move in the right direction - dynamics, stage, imaging, more of everything and fatigue-free. FLAC format of "Jazz At The Pawnshop" (FIM) was now running day-in and day-out and I am beginning to hear things that I could hear only on my turntable, valve preamp and class A power amp.

Now I desperately needed to know what 24/196 would sound like (I am still very much an analogue guy, and not much into digital gizmo). So, I downloaded the following tracks from HDTracks:

Bill Evans "Waltz for Debbie - Take 1" - OJC Records 192/24 (I have the original LP and a CD version).
Sara K "Brick House" from Album "Hobo" - Chesky Records 96/24 (I have the Chesky CD).
Vienna Phily - Beethoven Symphony 5 in C minor Op.67 "Allegro" - Deutsche Gramaphone 84/24 (I have the CD).

Then I loaded these same tracks at mp3 (at 320/44.1KHz) and FLAC from my CDs.

After three days of trials and travails, frankly, I don't know what all this big fuss being made about 24bit/192KHz resolution recordings? I made out very little in terms of sonic advantage here over FLAC or even mp3 at 320/44.1. Sometimes I didn't know which was which. Don't get me wrong, 24/192 tracks do sound brilliant, but not by that kind of leaps and bounds over FLAC or mp3. To me, 24/192 seems more like a rip-off or an alternate thought, perhaps you need a real high-end pair of headphones, say in the region of $500+ to 'hear' the benefits of 24/192 audio tracks. If you ask me, I think FLAC (though compressed, but lossless) is the best way to go with the X3. FLAC does take up a bit more than twice the space on the memory card as mp3/320/44, it is still a big saving in disc space over other uncompressed/lossless formats.

Another accidental discovery I made, using the same source material from CD ripped at 320/44.1 resolution, mp3 tracks ripped using LAME encoder (on Nero 8) sounds marginally cleaner than those ripped using FhG (Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft) encoder (on Nero 10). The optical drive on the PC is a constant. And I'm not sure if my brain cells are playing games with me.

What do I think? The user interface is still a mess on the X3, but one gets used to it over time, I guess. A touch screen would have been nice and easier to navigate. All those shortcomings are overcome by the sheer sound quality - leaning towards warmer (valve-like) than colder (digital) sound signature.

Thanks again for your advice, I saved the cost difference between AK100-II and the X3, and I don't think you can get a better deal than that as far as sound quality to cost ratio goes. I will recommend it to anyone who takes his/her music seriously.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed review and am really glad you liked it.
I also used to combine it with the HD 558 and was very happy with the combo.
And as usual, greed got to me and pushed me to get a HE-400. That was another major leap upwards. Now I'm thirsting for more amplification. Ah...

Also the unofficial 3.2 firmware is out and its said to have a brighter tone.

Also the unofficial 3.2 firmware is out and its said to have a brighter tone.

Agh! Hope you volunteer to be the "guinea pig" to try out V3.2 and let everyone know what it is up to. Could they have overcooked it? Come to think of it, yes, the treble (esp. cymbals in a drum kit) sounds a bit receded with V3.0, nevertheless, I still like its warm tone for fatigue free long term listening. I have switched the HD558's original 3m cable to a 1.2m supplied by Sennheiser, but that makes no difference, other than convenience. I may not be tempted to take the head-amp route right now. Perhaps the answer lies in a cable upgrade - something from Cardas, Siltech or Alpha Design.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back