Finally received approval from.... bought a 75inch LG TV - 75UN8000

argho

Well - it took a lot of effort to convince my wife that it was time to upgrade from our 65 inch TV to a 75 inch.
Finally got approval :)

I have been using a Sony 65 inch for the last 2 years, and have been very happy with it.
However, the price diff between a Sony 75 inch X80H (Rs 2.18 lacs) and the LG 75 inch UN80 (Rs 1.65 lacs) was just too much to ignore.

Not a fan of WebOS and the LG remote which keeps showing a mouse pointer and menus popping up.

Luckily, since I have an Nvidia Shield connected via an AV Receiver, I need to use the TV only as a display panel. So dont need to touch the remote.

I must say am very happy with the picture quality.

The "Standard" setting in LG (unlike Sony) has garish colours and is too bright.
But changing picture setting to "Cinema" changes to realistic colours , skin tones and brightness.

Feeling quite thrilled iwth the giant screen.

But have to say, any content below 1080p now looks too soft / not sharp.
On the 65 inch, even 720p looked fine.

Or is the Sony upscaling better ? Dont know.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 8.46.47 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 8.46.47 PM.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 286
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 9.58.03 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 9.58.03 AM.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 283
Congrats man the tv looks quite bright and nice in the pictures attached.how is the picture quality and can you share your experience on night time movie watching? Currenlty sailing on the same boat. Looking for a good 75 inch tv. Did you enquire about samsung tu8000 75 inch? How is the experience going forward from 65 to 75 inch?

Movie watching at night is fine, in a room with normal light.

I needed a TV with wide viewing angles, that works fine in a room which is well lit.
Both the Sony X80H and the LG UN80 fit the bill.

On the Samsung TU8000, what I gather from reviews is that it is a better performer in a dark room, and has narrower viewing angles.
Honestly was not able to go and see it in a showroom.

The challenge with buying a 75 inch, is that you have to depend on reviews.
Even very large showrooms will have maybe one or two models on display.

Moving from 65 to 75 - have to say the change is not as dramatic as moving form 50 to 65.

The problem with TVs, is that one gets used to the size very quickly :)

<snip>
Very true. Enjoy your new TV with family!!

When we changed from 29" CRT to 42" plasma, after a couple of weeks it seemed small.
When we got 55" OLED (after seeing 65" in showroom), the effect was immediate.
Within a day or two all at home were convinced 65" would have been better.

Cheers,
Raghu

I needed a TV with wide viewing angles, that works fine in a room which is well lit.

On the Samsung TU8000, what I gather from reviews is that it is a better performer in a dark room, and has narrower viewing angles.

Moving from 65 to 75 - have to say the change is not as dramatic as moving form 50 to 65.

Yeah correctly said about the tv size and that is the reason prioritizing picture quality vs size for the same money is quite a tough task. Not many of the showrooms have 75 inch displays but the trend is changing and after a few years 75 will become new 65. Btw both x80h and un80 are good tvs especially with dolby vision which the samsung does not have. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy the tv :)

Most of the phones these days have 4k recording. See if you can put the phone close to TV to cover the whole screen, ensure the phone is stable and that should do.

Do you see any noticeable pic difference between your old 65in Sony and this new LG? BTW which sony was it?

Maybe it's time for a projector :). Did you also consider some of the newer short-throw ones?

For netflix and bluray - I can't watch on tv anymore. Once you go to a 100" plus projector screen, can't go back!

Maybe it's time for a projector :). Did you also consider some of the newer short-throw ones?

For netflix and bluray - I can't watch on tv anymore. Once you go to a 100" plus projector screen, can't go back!

I have a Wemax UST laser projector and a 100 inch screen.

In my TV pics you can see the screen behind the TV.

Once in a while, we move the TV and watch on the projector.

In my opinion, for daily viewing , a TV is better. Lights can stay on etc.

Am now thinking of selling the projector.
The 75 inch is just too big and heavy to move.

Well - it took a lot of effort to convince my wife that it was time to upgrade from our 65 inch TV to a 75 inch.
Finally got approval :)

I have been using a Sony 65 inch for the last 2 years, and have been very happy with it.
However, the price diff between a Sony 75 inch X80H (Rs 2.18 lacs) and the LG 75 inch UN80 (Rs 1.65 lacs) was just too much to ignore.

Not a fan of WebOS and the LG remote which keeps showing a mouse pointer and menus popping up.

Luckily, since I have an Nvidia Shield connected via an AV Receiver, I need to use the TV only as a display panel. So dont need to touch the remote.

I must say am very happy with the picture quality.

The "Standard" setting in LG (unlike Sony) has garish colours and is too bright.
But changing picture setting to "Cinema" changes to realistic colours , skin tones and brightness.

Feeling quite thrilled iwth the giant screen.

But have to say, any content below 1080p now looks too soft / not sharp.
On the 65 inch, even 720p looked fine.

Or is the Sony upscaling better ? Dont know.
Can you please tell me from where did you purchase the nvidia shield tv ??... I'm using the same tv and is it still required to buy nvidia shield ?

Adding to this can I buy Apple tv box or fire stick 4k ? ...can you please respond
I got the Nvidia Shield from the US. I have been using Nvidia Shield for many years, and really like the interface and the performance.

Its not neccesary to buy one. The LG is a Smart TV and has all the apps - Netflix, YouTube etc.
I just prefer the Android TV interface of the Shield.

Apple TV 4k is available in India, and the hardware and performance is as good as the Nvidia Shield.

The only difference is that the Kodi App is not available on the Apple TV platform.
I use Kodi to play movies stored on a NAS.

If you do not have such a requirement, then Apple TV will do just fine.

Fire Stick 4K is also a good, much cheaper alternative.

Another option is the Airtel DTH box, which is a pretty good media player.

My suggestion is to try the LG TV native apps first, and then buy a separate media player box only if you are unsatisfied.

I got the Nvidia Shield from the US. I have been using Nvidia Shield for many years, and really like the interface and the performance.

Its not neccesary to buy one. The LG is a Smart TV and has all the apps - Netflix, YouTube etc.
I just prefer the Android TV interface of the Shield.

Apple TV 4k is available in India, and the hardware and performance is as good as the Nvidia Shield.

The only difference is that the Kodi App is not available on the Apple TV platform.
I use Kodi to play movies stored on a NAS.

If you do not have such a requirement, then Apple TV will do just fine.

Fire Stick 4K is also a good, much cheaper alternative.

Another option is the Airtel DTH box, which is a pretty good media player.

My suggestion is to try the LG TV native apps first, and then buy a separate media player box only if you are unsatisfied.
Thank you for the suggestion ... I've one more query . Does this tv lg 55un8000pta supports hdr10+ or Dolby vision ...May I know what is the difference between them because lg mentioned that tv has hdr10 pro and I'm not sure what that means by the way which format provides best picture quality. I've set the picture mode to cinema and the picture looks dull tried to make some changes but it didn't work

I have a Wemax UST laser projector and a 100 inch screen.

In my TV pics you can see the screen behind the TV.

Once in a while, we move the TV and watch on the projector.

In my opinion, for daily viewing , a TV is better. Lights can stay on etc.

Am now thinking of selling the projector.
The 75 inch is just too big and heavy to move.
Out of the topic question, how do you switch between projector ? As I see TV is right in front of your screen.

Thank you for the suggestion ... I've one more query . Does this tv lg 55un8000pta supports hdr10+ or Dolby vision ...May I know what is the difference between them because lg mentioned that tv has hdr10 pro and I'm not sure what that means by the way which format provides best picture quality. I've set the picture mode to cinema and the picture looks dull tried to make some changes but it didn't work
Apologies - that is beyond my level of knowledge.

You will need to seek information from others.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back