First Experience

Bidya

Hello Friends,

I belong to Odisha. Before I had been to this forum, I was just thinking the Turntable and Vinyls to be very old media for music. Also thinking its days are over and might not be used by anyone leaving very few. One day when I was scrolling through different sections of this forum, I saw this section of Phono/Turntables. Out of curiosity started to go through the different discussions and got an idea that Vinyls are still in use by many and it is considered to be the best source of analog music than Cassettes, CDs and MP3s. So, to experience whether the sound from Vinlys are really better than others forms, I decided to get a TT and Vinyls. Where I reside, few people had LPs and TTs. I know , they are not using those anymore. After a little pursue, got around 100 LPs in very bad condition having termite mud on those. Tried to clean those but thought it might not be good to play. Then got around 60 LPs, having thick layer of dirt, but those were in good condition. With a little effort of cleaning, they become shiny. Recently, got some 270 LPs from another person. A working TT I could not find here, therefore posted my requirement in the Want to Buy section of this forum. Within no time received few offers and finally settled with Mr.Shafic of Mumbai, a respectable member of this forum. He arranged a Philips 242 TT. It is in very good condition and running well. Then, a Phonostage was required as I dont have a Stereo Amplifier, its a Samsung Hometheatre Setup. I got the phonostage from another forum member Mr.Saheb11123 from Calcutta.

After having all those gears, I played the first LP Qurbani : Laila o Laila on the TT. I was surprised with the clear voice of the singer. I would say I had never experienced such clean vocals on any music system though I had heard the song several times earlier. Out of excitement played several LPs. Every time I felt that the vocals are more live than any other form such as Cassettes n CDs. Then played one of my favourite song which is in my language (Odia), I was mesmerized by its sound. The song is a classic evergreen old song (Mo priya tharu from Sindura Bindu, if any Odia member is here, he can only know). Vocals r clean and open. Then played a LP of Odia Bhajans, it gave me a feeling that as if the singers are singing just in front of me. I just immersed in those songs. I never had such a pleasant feeling listening music at home. It is really satisfying.

Having said all those, I must say Vinyls are way better than what I had heard earlier. Though my system is not dedicated stereo system for music, still the sound of it is very satisfying. Thank you Mr.Shafic and Mr.Saheb11123 for helping me to get the set up and the pleasing experience of music too. Also, I would thank forum members Mr.Reubensm, Mr.Shuv and Mr.Frend2001 who were part of my search for TT and Phonostage.

Thank you all.

Welcome to vinyls!! Hope 'young padwans' like you will carry on the legacy of vinyls to the new generation.
Regds.

So Happy that you are enjoying your music.

Your experience is so much like my first impression of vinyls.

Welcome to the "Club"

The world of vinyl is very satisfying and the philips 242 is a very good turntable. Purists will advise you to use a dedicated stereo or mono setup for your LP listening but I would advise to take it one step at a time. Rather than going by online reviews and suggestions, my take is that you should keep enjoying your music on the HT system and think of an upgrade when you hear something else which sounds better to your ears. Happy listening!!

Thank u all for your encouraging comments. The HT setup is not great but it is not so bad either. What I was enjoying earlier was on this set up, so the experience I have shared is same music on the same set up with a big difference now. I am blown by its vocal clarity and musical details. Last evening I was listening "Intaqaum", there are two solo songs by "Lata Mangeshkar", the piercing ultra clean sweet voice is just marvelous to realize the power of Vinyls.

An interesting thing to share. After getting the news of my new system, few of my friends came to see it and all of them were appreciating the sound. In future I will go for a stereo setup but at present will remain with this setup, which I think is good, if not better.

Regards.

also, the key to sustainable of enjoyable record listening is to keep your records clean and properly stored, also keep your stylus clean and tracking properly

Welcome Bidya to the world of analog :clapping:

I second Reubensm on the setup, the start is the most important factor. Once you are used to the pains & gains of cleaning and listening to vinyls, you can upgrade based to your liking to different sounds/frequencies and most importantly, budget.

Cheers

Yes, you will be experiencing what many of us have experienced over the years. It's different and captivating if you use the correct combination of Turntable, phono stage and matching system and most important, good clean records.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back