First Hi-end audio setup-Suggestions Requested

Bloom@83

Banned
Banned
Hello

This is my first post in this wonderful community.Although I became a member today,I have been referencing the forum quite a lot for the past few days for getting member reviews.

Anyway,not to digress-I plan to get my first hi end audio gear -stereo setup- for only listening to music. Video is absolutely a non-priority.
The room size is approximately 16ft X 10ft and my listening distance would not be more than 7ft.

Now I stay in Kolkata & have a budget of 60-70K.

I listen to classic rock and jazz only.No heavy duty stuff for me.
My priorities are open soundstage and good imaging.Loudness or heavy bass is secondary,though important.
I do not plan to buy a TT right now but the provision for upgrade should be there via a Phono Jack in the Amp.

With these in mind (my location ,budget ) - can you wise folks please suggest the best possible combination of

a) Speakers (obviously)
b) Integrated Amps
c) CD Player

I have a few options in mind but would like to hear from you experts first.

Many thanks

You should start with correct speakers. That is the most decisive thing in a audio chain. Checkout few Speakers from different showroom in Kolkata like Harmony Audio, SKS Traders, Promises Inst. etc and see what type of sound signature you like or looking for. Few that could come in your budgets are -
1. Mordant Short Aviano 1/2
2. Monitor Audio BX 1/2
3. PSB Alpha B1
4. Wharfedale Diamond 121/122

If you are open to used item, then you can checkout B&W as well.

There are few excellent old threads on Stereo hunting in Kolkata and other parts of the country. Do search and read them in "What should I buy" section. Happy hunting.

Hi Koushik

Thanks for your reply.I know about Harmonie Audio and ProFx.Will check out SKS and Promises .

What I had in mind were the KEF Q300 bookshelves which cost around 43K a pair at ProFx .i have two doubts in mind regarding this :

1.Whether a better pair of speakers (with better clarity ,soundstage and imaging) are available at this price bracket.
2.Which amps will drive it best?On this point I have a lot of confusion.Some are saying the Denon PMA 520 will drive it smooth,some are saying it won't .So what's the criteria based on which one can correctly say an integrated amp can correctly drive a pair of speakers?

Any other suggestions for Amps would be most welcome as well ,other than Denon.Heard Marantz Amps are great but availability is a problem in Kolkata.

thanks.

you can buy amps thru hifimart
availbility should not be a problem there

a good speaker is important though

unfortunately none of the budget speakers are very good
Yes in their own right in theri budget they may justify them sleves

but overall im not a great fan
today all the manufactures have moved up
their best or better sounding speakers are placed a level higher than their entry levels

if you are looking at 43k budget for speakers
i would get the Dentons instead or maybe snag a deal on Quad 11 or 12's if i could

Thank you.
If anybody would be kind enough to say whether Marantz PM 5004 Would be good enough to drive the Q300 it would be great.

Just look on Usher speakers 601V its superb speakers value for money.Try to buy good amp to drive these speakers check yamaha as500.Dont go for starting model of any brand not soo good very less powered.May be a used amplifier will be a good option.

Bloom@83,

I heard KEF Q100 & Q300 at Profx and I liked Q100 more but I belief Q300 is also good speaker as it was new and wasn't properly break-in. OTH, Q100 was properly burnt-in demo speaker for long lying there. After break-in, Q300 should sound as good with little more extended bass than Q100.

I didn't suggest you Kef Q300 as I thought it should be out of your budget. If you can go for Kef Q300 it is good but as Magma suggested, I would say the same, try out Quad 11L classic, focal, Epos etc.

Marantz PM5004 should do the job but not in great way as, purely going by specs, I see Marantz is rated 35W @ 8 ohms with THD: 0.05%
The THD of this Amp is bit higher than one would like so driving a moderately sensitive (87dB) speakers with full throttle will not give desirable result and could put the tweeter at risk. Look for amp that will atleast do 60W @ 8ohms with slight better THD than this.

Harmonie and SKS is actually great for 2Ch audio. Check them both. There are few new showroom in Kolkata that I came to know but I forgot their name. Others from Kolkata may confirm.

As it is just beginning phase of hunting, don't rush to a decision. Take your time. It is not uncommon that people's preference takes complete 180 degree turn after listening to different systems. Try to reach out to other FMs in Kolkata. Some of them, I know, are all out of India right now, otherwise I would have suggested you to go to their house to have a listen.

Bloom@83,

Marantz PM5004 should do the job but not in great way as, purely going by specs, I see Marantz is rated 35W @ 8 ohms with THD: 0.05%
The THD of this Amp is bit higher than one would like so driving a moderately sensitive (87dB) speakers with full throttle will not give desirable result and could put the tweeter at risk. Look for amp that will atleast do 60W @ 8ohms with slight better THD than this.

Harmonie and SKS is actually great for 2Ch audio. Check them both. There are few new showroom in Kolkata that I came to know but I forgot their name. Others from Kolkata may confirm.

Hi Koushik

Thanks for the great reply. This is precisely the kind of analytic answers I was looking for.
I know it's asking a lot, but if you could just explain in bit more details what are the primary specs(like THD you mentioned) I should look out for in an Amp for the Q300, that would really help me make my decisions easier. Like how much watts per channel shouldit ddeliver for optimum loudness without fatigue or damage to speaker internals, what should the THD be for Q100,and other specs like these, it would be great education for me. After understandingthe basics it wwould be a matter of choosing one amp over the other on listening preference and sound signature.

Thanks in advance

Thanks.

Please dont go to the theoretical aspect.If you are looking for new setup like new speakers and amplifier there is only one solution that is trust your Eyer simple theory not complicated its just simple as it is.

1. Shortlist the speaker and amp first if not available check available models.
2. Search for available dealers near to you
3. Carry your favorite cd track with you
4. Do audition all available speakers and amps within your budget with your cd.

Thats it simple :)

Bloom@83,

Ideally, one should get an Amp which is equal or slightly higher powered than the power handling capability of the speaker at the same nominal impedance that of speaker. This will ensure speaker can be played loud enough using that Amp without distortion and/or clipping. But that is ideally.

There are different type of Amp design. Amp with high output current need not follow the above rule but they are expensive, like, good tube Amps or Class A amps. Quad's proprietary current-dumping technology is another example. Hence my power hungry B&W is quite efficiently driven by 50W/ch Quad 306 (THD < 0.003%)
Spec is only a starting point, you should actually listen to it before deciding anything.

If possible try to get a demo of Marantz PM5004 with KEF Q300 or Q100. Who knows may be it play it beautifully at moderate volume. Powering it effectively and pairing well with the sound signature is completely different thing.

You have to start at some point. Get the speaker first that you like and then carry the speaker to the different audition room to check out the perfect Amp for it.

Understood. Thanks for the great guidance everyone, specially Koushik.
It would be great if you could suggest names of more shops other than PROFX, Harmonie Audio, SKS, Promises Instruments in Kolkata. I am not really confident about buying Amps and Players online andwant to test first hand as many ccombinations possible.

So names of shops in Kolkata would be very helpful.

Thanks again Koushik. The Spendors are way out of my budget sadly... :)
Tomorrow I will be auditioning the Q300 and 100 both on Denon PMA 720 at ProFX... And hopefullythe Q Acoustics concept 20 with a Marantz at Harmonie. Heard the Concept 20s are great but they require some insanely expensive stands. Need to check out.
Any tips for auditioning speakers would be most welcome.

Sir,
Any tips during auditioning? I am taking my choice collection of tracks on CDs.
Also, would it be possible to play flac files on these setups?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back