First Time Buyer Bookshelf Speakers+Amplifier Recommendation Needed.

MycroftHolmes

Hello everyone,
I am an absolute new entrant in the Hi-fi Audio world and to say that I am flummoxed by choices and terminologies would be an understatement.
Nevertheless,
I have a budget of 30K to make an entry as of now. ( I can invest more but with keeping in mind the law of diminishing returns.)
I need recommendations for a set-up which can play via phone and laptop.
I will be initially playing my music via Apple Music and Flac files.
What are your suggestions guys especially w.r.t. to the amplifier.
Should I buy high-quality speakers like

Q Acoustics 3020
Wharfedale Diamond 220
Boston Acoustics A 26
Micca MB42X
and cheap amplifier like Lepy, SMSL etc.
I am utterly confused in the allocation of the available budget between amplifier and speaker and which ones to buy.
Any recommendations would be highly appreciated on both components.
I am also struggling to understand as to how to match speakers with correct amp

Please note that I intend to buy a stereo receiver or high-quality Integrated amplifier later on.
It is just that as of now, I wish to enjoy the high-quality sound by playing from my phone/mac. And I think that a good quality speakers and any amp should do the job. (or not?)

P.S. Would these low-cost amplifiers like Lepy etc work with any turntable that has built-in phono preamp?

Sorry, If my request doesn't make any sense. I am also struggling to understand how the hi-fi systems work.

Some Additional details that will help I guess:
I stay in Delhi.
My room size is 12x10 ft
My music tastes are so varied however
I would want the system to play Good vocals and Good Bass.
I listen to Mehndi Hasan and Very Old 60s Hindi Songs ( and others ghazals) which I particularly want to sound good.
I also listen to House and alternative and Jazz like Louis Armstrong etc as well
Please let me know if any other details are required.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you want to go so cheap and not be bothered about resale, I recommend something from Dayton Audio such as the B652 paired with their own DTA2.1 BT Digital Amplifier. Low cost & good sound. Do not expect big bass from this rig though.

The theory behind Speaker and amplifier matching is easy. If a speaker has a impedance rating of 6ohms, you ideally want to find a amplifier that supports 6 ohms. Some amplifiers will do 4,6 & 8 ohms. Not mandatory that you need to find one that does all. It is most common to find amplifiers that do 6 & 8 ohms. 4 ohms support is usually found in more expensive & higher quality components. You buy what you need for your speakers specifically. When it comes to power, it is also the same way. If the speaker specifications manual says minimum watts as 20, then your amplifier should have a figure that is equal or higher to this but should also not exceed the speakers maximum supported wattage. A speaker will be specified at 20-50 watts operating range and that means you try and find a amplifier in this range. Some speakers gave a broad range such as 50 - 300 watts. In this scenario, a amplifier than meets this criteria somewhere mid way (150 watt) would be ideal so you have some head room on power to play with.

Pay attention to the Sensitivity value on a speaker. A speaker with a Sensitivity value of 86db will be harder to wake up than one with 90db. A higher sensitivity speaker is preferred as it makes life easier for the amplifier. Then again, a speaker too high on sensitivity such as some JBL's and Klipsch that are 95db tend you sound harsh.

Yes; you can plug in a turntable to any amplifier provided it has a built in phono stage. Either on the amps end or turntable end.

A thing about diminishing returns. If this is something you care about, I'd say you double or triple the budget and get something so good that it stays with you for no less than 5 years minimum. I understand not all of us can do this. If you do have the dough, get something nice. You will not regret it. When you get into Hi Fi, don't ever think of returns cause there isn't any. You can protect your investments by buying something that lasts and keeps you happy for long. I'd take this approach and trash the whole idea of "monetary returns" for Hi Fi.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I am an absolute new entrant in the Hi-fi Audio world and to say that I am flummoxed by choices and terminologies would be an understatement.
Nevertheless,
I have a budget of 30K to make an entry as of now. ( I can invest more but with keeping in mind the law of diminishing returns.)

Q Acoustics 3020
Wharfedale Diamond 220
Boston Acoustics A 26
Micca MB42X
since your budget is restricted... Try Crown Stereo amplifier (it has good reviews in amazon.com) ..you may get it for 10 to 20 k max.
People in this forum also using the same amplifier.

Speakers in your list are good choices , pick up any one as per your taste.

Alternatively you can check for powered speakers in this price range.
JBL Studio monitors (15k per pair) , you may pickup two

Last edited:
Look at Norge 1000 gold amplifier. Downside is no built-in DAC. Best deal for the price. Around 16k. Older music if not at good resolution, will sound crappy. Wharfedale would be my choice off the above list. Might have to stretch the budget a bit.

Within your mentioned budget you may get very good pre owned set which you can enjoy for longer periods without upgrade. Else go for Boston Acoustics A360 for about 15K and pre owned amplifier in remaining 15K. You need have patience till you get require components from our classified section. I have purchased Polk Subwoofer and Monitor Audio BXFX surround speakers and very much happy with purchase as have great quality with below reasonable rates.

Hello everyone,
Nevertheless,

Q Acoustics 3020
Wharfedale Diamond 220
Boston Acoustics A 26
Micca MB42X
I am utterly confused in the allocation of the available budget between amplifier and speaker and which ones to buy.
Any recommendations would be highly appreciated on both components.
I am also struggling to understand as to how to match speakers with correct amp

Please note that I intend to buy a stereo receiver or high-quality Integrated amplifier later on.
It is just that as of now, I wish to enjoy the high-quality sound by playing from my phone/mac. And I think that a good quality speakers and any amp should do the job. (or not?)

P.S. Would these low-cost amplifiers like Lepy etc work with any turntable that has built-in phono preamp?

Sorry, If my request doesn't make any sense. I am also struggling to understand how the hi-fi systems work.

Some Additional details that will help I guess:
I stay in Delhi.
My room size is 12x10 ft
My music tastes are so varied however
I would want the system to play Good vocals and Good Bass.
I listen to Mehndi Hasan and Very Old 60s Hindi Songs ( and others ghazals) which I particularly want to sound good.
I also listen to House and alternative and Jazz like Louis Armstrong etc as well
Please let me know if any other details are required.

Please take this piece of advise in bold below seriously. It is in your best interest.

Thanks in advance.
If you want to go so cheap and not be bothered about resale, I recommend something from Dayton Audio such as the B652 paired with their own DTA2.1 BT Digital Amplifier. Low cost & good sound. Do not expect big bass from this rig though.

The theory behind Speaker and amplifier matching is easy. If a speaker has a impedance rating of 6ohms, you ideally want to find a amplifier that supports 6 ohms. Some amplifiers will do 4,6 & 8 ohms. Not mandatory that you need to find one that does all. It is most common to find amplifiers that do 6 & 8 ohms. 4 ohms support is usually found in more expensive & higher quality components. You buy what you need for your speakers specifically. When it comes to power, it is also the same way. If the speaker specifications manual says minimum watts as 20, then your amplifier should have a figure that is equal or higher to this but should also not exceed the speakers maximum supported wattage. A speaker will be specified at 20-50 watts operating range and that means you try and find a amplifier in this range. Some speakers gave a broad range such as 50 - 300 watts. In this scenario, a amplifier than meets this criteria somewhere mid way (150 watt) would be ideal so you have some head room on power to play with.

Pay attention to the Sensitivity value on a speaker. A speaker with a Sensitivity value of 86db will be harder to wake up than one with 90db. A higher sensitivity speaker is preferred as it makes life easier for the amplifier. Then again, a speaker too high on sensitivity such as some JBL's and Klipsch that are 95db tend you sound harsh.

Yes; you can plug in a turntable to any amplifier provided it has a built in phono stage. Either on the amps end or turntable end.

A thing about diminishing returns. If this is something you care about, I'd say you double or triple the budget and get something so good that it stays with you for no less than 5 years minimum. I understand not all of us can do this. If you do have the dough, get something nice. You will not regret it. When you get into Hi Fi, don't ever think of returns cause there isn't any. You can protect your investments by buying something that lasts and keeps you happy for long. I'd take this approach and trash the whole idea of "monetary returns" for Hi Fi.

This is some really good advise given in context to our hobby in general. I wish more people realise this at the earliest.

I have an almost unused pair of Boston Acoustics BA26 and NAD D3020.
Will be just above your budget.
PM if interested we can discuss .

Suggest you consider the above option as something that will last with you for a while, plus you will learn to enjoy & appreciate such a set up more than what you have planned at the moment.

I have a budget of 30K

My room size is 12x10 ft

I would suggest you to consider the likes of SMSL Q5 Pro (or) the slightly more powerful FX Audio D802 / 200E models on aliexpress for abt 12K max, imported to India..

And for the remaining budget of 18 ~ 20K, you can consider a Taga 5.0 Floorstander speaker package.. You can use the FS with the above amps and it should be comfortable drive them (or) Taga Harmony Platinum BS speakers B-40 which should be in your budget..

I have used SMSL Q5 Pro with Klipsch RP 160M BS in 14 x 11 ft room and was good enough.. Also using the same SMSL Q5 Pro with Taga Harmony Platinum S90SL speakers on my desktop, and am happy with it..

As far as the connectivity, i have connected them with PC, Laptop thru micro USB and connected to my mobile (Nexus 6 with OTG cable).. Works fine..

I haven't used vinyl, so unaware of the connectivity.. You can consider an other phono amp from aliexpress and connect it thru AUX to SMSL Q5 Pro / FX Audio digital amplifiers.. These small amplifiers wouldn't take much space..

Wow! What a vibrant community. I am speechless.
Anyway, million thanks to everyone who replied.

@sandeepmohan Thank you so much for the detailed advice and now it makes a lot of sense. You just made my day by clearing the most confusing part of my problem.
As far as "diminishing returns" is concerned I actually didn't mean it by monetary value or resale value. I never sell any of my music devices/CDs/iPods or etc. I cherish them too much out of nostalgia.
I actually meant that if I invest twice my budget let us say 50-60 K. Would the resulting set-up sound twice the better of 'Set up done under 25-30K'? Or the improvement would be like 10-20%.

@edjamesx Thanks I will check out crown amplifiers. You just gave me the most useful idea to start I guess i.e. powered speakers. I have listed a couple of Powered speakers options below along with other combinations as I could think within my budget (or a bit above). Please have a look and pass along your valuable feedback. Also, you can also suggest me other good powered speakers in the same range.

@tapmal5 My heart skipped a beat when I saw that combo. But it seems a bit over my budget (+ I was hoping to buy things off Amazon as I got some Gift cards to utilize.) Nevertheless, I could attempt to convince my head around this deal. Thanks again!

@tuff Norge Gold doesn't leave much budget for speakers. But thanks, will try and find more abt it. Wharfedales are really awesome.

@blackscorpio and @rpmahale Thanks but I guess patience is not required now as I have already got few offers/listings and will have a look at them. It is just that I have this shallow and unreal inhibition about preowned stuff but your wise words are working to dispel them.

@drkrack I will PM you in a bit. And @JayaRaa mentions, this seems really enticing.

@elangoas Thanks. Just a quick question "Are Floorstanding speakers better than Bookshelves?" I have never looked at Floorstandings as they look a bit intimidating and also take more space. However, these two are also facile issues and can be ignored. I would love your suggestions on good floor standing speakers in the given range. (20-30K)

I had made the list before going through the above replies so I am still putting these here. You kind souls shall shower your suggestions on the below as well:

Micca OriGain Compact Stereo Integrated Amplifier+ Passive Bookshelves (for 15-20K)
OR
SMSL 18+ Passive BookShelves (for 15-20K)
OR
Marantz PM5005 + Passive Bookshelves (of 10-15K Range) [I am overshooting my budget here]
OR
Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5+Passive Speakers

OR Why not just get powered speakers

Micca PB42X Powered Bookshelf Speakers With 4-Inch Carbon Fiber ( 20K)
OR
Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf Monitor Speakers - Pair [They really seem to attract me but I haven't auditioned them yet and seem perfect budget fit]
{I would really love if someone could especially give me some ideas on this speaker}

I aim to run this set-up roughly for a year before upgrading.

Thanks a ton once again everyone!

Any reason why you want to upgrade in a year's time? I have gone through SMSL amplifier & AVR route but don't think they can engage you as seriously as a proper stereo amplifier. Since you are in New Delhi, you can visit a few FMs set up to experience serious setups. Virenji's Lyrita audio is always there for you to experience high sensitive speakers.
I do not know how comfortable you are with the used equipment but they give great value for money.
30K-35K budget would probably help you get the speakers and amplifiers. You must look at the entire setup as a system. To have an engaging setup after you get past the initial awe, you need to invest in decent cables (speaker cables, audio interconnect cables) and speaker stands (if you go for bookshelf).
I am listing a couple of the mistakes that I made being frugal:
1. Tried off the shelf Rs.48 per meter initially. Then moved on to electric cables. LAN cables. Transformer winding cables. PTFE cables. Each spend was less than Rs.500-Rs.700 but then in aggregate spent around 3.5K. After these I bought professionally made speaker cables for Rs2.5K in the forum(used ones). Darn! they killed all my experiments. As an afterthought, I could have spent the money on good interconnects.
2. I built DIY stand to stick to my budget but I saw the value of isolation and sturdiness, that good stands offer. It improves the bass so much. Two points that I want to make here: importance of good stands for bookshelves and DIY challenges. I do not intend to demean DIY efforts but if you are not good enough, it is money gone down the drain.

Listening to well setup systems at FM residence is the starting point. This would be a great eye opener. Please do keep some budgets for cables & stands as well.

Any reason why you want to upgrade in a year's time? I have gone through SMSL amplifier & AVR route but don't think they can engage you as seriously as a proper stereo amplifier. Since you are in New Delhi, you can visit a few FMs set up to experience serious setups. Virenji's Lyrita audio is always there for you to experience high sensitive speakers.
I do not know how comfortable you are with the used equipment but they give great value for money.
30K-35K budget would probably help you get the speakers and amplifiers. You must look at the entire setup as a system. To have an engaging setup after you get past the initial awe, you need to invest in decent cables (speaker cables, audio interconnect cables) and speaker stands (if you go for bookshelf).
I am listing a couple of the mistakes that I made being frugal:
1. Tried off the shelf Rs.48 per meter initially. Then moved on to electric cables. LAN cables. Transformer winding cables. PTFE cables. Each spend was less than Rs.500-Rs.700 but then in aggregate spent around 3.5K. After these I bought professionally made speaker cables for Rs2.5K in the forum(used ones). Darn! they killed all my experiments. As an afterthought, I could have spent the money on good interconnects.
2. I built DIY stand to stick to my budget but I saw the value of isolation and sturdiness, that good stands offer. It improves the bass so much. Two points that I want to make here: importance of good stands for bookshelves and DIY challenges. I do not intend to demean DIY efforts but if you are not good enough, it is money gone down the drain.

Listening to well setup systems at FM residence is the starting point. This would be a great eye opener. Please do keep some budgets for cables & stands as well.

Thank you so much @arunkvivek I am just so thankful that I landed on this forum.
No specific reason to upgrade. I just meant that only after 1 year I would think about anything else if at all.
That cable is something I never thought about.
Would I need to buy cables other than the one supplied by Speaker Manufacturer/ Amplifier Manufacturer?

Do you have a company or a specific suggestion for such cables and connectors?

The hifimart package deal is the one to go for.
Ever heard of wasting money by buying too cheap? Anything below these isnt really hifi.
Add an audioquest beetle to get bt plus usb connectivity. Will also connect with your satellite tv box by optical cable so that u have better tv sound. Add this ltr when u have money.

I have q acoustics 2020i and marantz pm5004.

Also too less power in amp can damage spkrs.

May be Boston Acoustics A26 is the cheapest speaker available in market which can give run to a speakers costing twice. It's little laid back but have very good musical performances and stronger bass. With Marantz PM5005, it may pair very well and can make a great combo. Interconnect and speakers cables do make a difference, it always advisable to wait, collect funds and go for better components because " Mahanga pachataye eka bar our Sasta pachataye bar bar" make your budget and list out what can have within that else wait increase fund else you keep on piling audio components . Audition is the key for any successful set up either stereo or HT. Audition that system which you can't afford so you will came to know what you want and also audition those system which you don't want so you will came to know what you don't want. Even though you are on budget , list out components and start audition. This is also one of the memorable experience and need to share with FM.

Based on my journey, at this time, I will not say 'what to buy' but instead would seriously advise not to buy any bookshelf :) (with due respect to all current bookshelves owners).

@elangoas Thanks. Just a quick question "Are Floorstanding speakers better than Bookshelves?" I have never looked at Floorstandings as they look a bit intimidating and also take more space. However, these two are also facile issues and can be ignored. I would love your suggestions on good floor standing speakers in the given range. (20-30K)

No way to say until both the speakers are placed in the same position and measured.. But yes, FS will do little more bass than a BS..

For FS in a 20 - 30K, i have suggested the Taga models above, which should be within your budget.. TAV series 5.0 speaker package..

OR Why not just get powered speakers

With powered speaker, there are some disadvantages compared to SMSL / FX Audio products..

- They don't come with multiple digital inputs (Co-ax, optical, USB, AUX).. They come with Aux inputs, which forces you to consider an external DAC (Additional cost)..
- Most powered speakers are for near-field listening, and may not produce the max SPL of standalone systems..
- Spreading the speakers on the front wall and power cables of necessary length will provide you limited options..
- When you wish to upgrade to a hi-fi set-up, you would pushed to sell of the entire system..
- Volume control is at the speaker, so you always have to reach for them.. With SMSL or other amps, you get handy remote..

IMO, Powered systems are best for nearfield desktop applications.. When you have inexpensive amplifier like SMSL and wish to upgrade, you can always upgrade with the same speakers you have..

So, choose your system based on future update bug..

Thank you so much @arunkvivek I am just so thankful that I landed on this forum.
No specific reason to upgrade. I just meant that only after 1 year I would think about anything else if at all.
That cable is something I never thought about.
Would I need to buy cables other than the one supplied by Speaker Manufacturer/ Amplifier Manufacturer?

Do you have a company or a specific suggestion for such cables and connectors?
Upgrade itch is dangerous thing in this hobby. You would be dragged into accumulating multiple gears as you progress in your journey.
Speaker cables are grandma's recipe. Looks like simple recipe but adds magic.
The speakers and amplifiers are not bundled with interconnects and speaker cables. You would have to buy them separately. The amplifiers come with power cables to plug to your switchboard.
I am no expert with cable recommendation but there is a lot of information on the forum.
A budget of 5-7k for cables and 6-10k for stands would give you a far better experience.
Hifimart portal has all necessary equipments/ accessories. But, visiting a showroom will help you estimate spends on accessories. Make sure you carry a pen drive with the songs when you visit. Make sure you note the price of items, revise your budget and run it past WAF. Getting them along would help you stay grounded to realities of financial priority.

Back