First time HT buyer and looking for decision making help, based on investment vs short term cost factor.

Hi,

So I almost bought the Yamaha 1840 but then went through multiple forums where they mentioned it's not advisable (due to passive sw, lack of DTS-MA/Dolby TruHD support). I went to audition the 1840s and didn't find the passive to be such a problem (clearly a beginner but I guess I'm fine with this at this point since it's upgradeable later). But the major point was the HD decoders (especially the lossless ones) missing.

Do you guys think I'm trying to be in 2 boats by going for a Yamaha setup (vs my earlier researched typical Sony, htib) yet only going for the cheapest 1840 version? I'm just confused about how much should one invest in something like this and how different would a Dolby digital be vs a Dolby TruHD/DTS MA.

I can even look at a avr plus speakers separately (instead of the 1840 type complete system) but don't want to go beyond a certain budget, especially since I don't know how much more value will a beginner get from spending more money on a system.

Thanks in advance and sorry if the post is a bit long/confusing. It's actually my current state of mind right now to close this purchase.

The more features you want the more your budget should be.
Do you really want all these features?
Will your content be mostly in the special formats?
If yes then go for the AVR and separate speakers. This option gives you a lot of flexibility.

Found a useful link of various formats available out there:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-...ound-sound-guide-different-formats-explained/
Thanks for the reply. I actually went for the Yamaha 3072 after realizing the need for an active sub. Also, in my case, I'd have a lot of HD uncompressed audio content via my ps4 and so chose the HD audio decoders as the second reason to get the 3072 vs the 1840.

Hopefully, the receiver has enough to last a long time with the right speaker upgrades.

Well since you have already got the AVR, you can now look for decent pair of Bookshelf speakers for starters and then slowly add the other ones when budget permits....

If you are going to upgrade in a while later, you are better of purchasing pre owned speakers and using them for sometime. There are a lot being sold in the Classifieds section of HFV and also seen some good brands over OLX where some of them are barely used for a year and still have warranty.......you might want to grab those soon.....

Thanks for the reply. I actually went for the Yamaha 3072 after realizing the need for an active sub. Also, in my case, I'd have a lot of HD uncompressed audio content via my ps4 and so chose the HD audio decoders as the second reason to get the 3072 vs the 1840.

Hopefully, the receiver has enough to last a long time with the right speaker upgrades.
Have you picked the YHT 3072 or HTR 3072

Good that you purchased YHT 3072. It is more future proof than 1840 as it supports Dolby vision too. When it comes to True HD and DTS HD MA, yht 1840 cannot decode them. But, it has a 24 bit DAC and therefore, it can still play 24 bit pcm signals. Some bluray players, Android boxes can decode HD codecs and send it to the AVR as pcm inputs.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back