FlexiGray or ProGray

bikram_singh

I want to buy a projector screen material for a dedicated HT room from Carl's place. It will be a dedicated room so controlling ambient light will not be an issue. I want to create a fixed-screen which will be hung permanently on a wall. For which I am planning to make a screen using one of the following two screen materials, and 3" Black Felt Tape, and a wooden frame.

The screen will be used indoors and the screen material I'd buy will be fixed on a sturdy wooden frame. Please let me know which one of the following will meet my need?

FlexiGray Projector Screen Material

ProGray Projector Screen Raw Material

Will ProGray go will render itself useful for tensioning on the wooden frame? OR should I opt for FlexiGray, which is not stiff and allows tensioning? It is stretchy as written on the website. Will I be able to use ProGray to create fixed frame tensioned screen?

Please suggest.
Thanks

Hello Bikram,

With the specifications you had mentioned even Blackout cloth is sufficient. I had also used the same and the picture is fantastic.

Stretching the cloth is not a problem with any of the screen cloths mentioned on the carl's website. I also did not use felt tape as the frame iteself was painted balck.

I had posted in the site if it is of any help to you.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/44720-buiding-home-theatre-scratch-4.html

Hello Bikram,

With the specifications you had mentioned even Blackout cloth is sufficient. I had also used the same and the picture is fantastic.

Stretching the cloth is not a problem with any of the screen cloths mentioned on the carl's website. I also did not use felt tape as the frame iteself was painted balck.

I had posted in the site if it is of any help to you.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/44720-buiding-home-theatre-scratch-4.html

Thanks for your response!

Initially I also thought of using blackout cloth, but then I decided to go with any of the above two depending on what forum members suggest here.

@rdksrk2013 - which side of the blackout cloth you are projecting into? I can see a rubberish side and a cloth side, both being white

Congrats Bikram,
Could you please let us know the details?
Which screen you used? I think it is Flexigrey screen.
How did you attach it to wooden frame?
Did you use any glue or used velcro?
If velcro, how did you apply it on screen? Stitched?

I have Flexigrey screen and planning for wooden frame.
Looking for suggestions.

Congrats Bikram,
Could you please let us know the details?
Which screen you used? I think it is Flexigrey screen.
How did you attach it to wooden frame?
Did you use any glue or used velcro?
If velcro, how did you apply it on screen? Stitched?

I have Flexigrey screen and planning for wooden frame.
Looking for suggestions.

I've used FlexiGray which I bought from Carl's Place and then sought help of carpenters to fix it on a frame. I got the screen stretched and stapled on a wooden frame. You can easily find a stapler to do the job. The size of the screen is 135" and its 16:9.

I've used FlexiGray which I bought from Carl's Place and then sought help of carpenters to fix it on a frame. I got the screen stretched and stapled on a wooden frame. You can easily find a stapler to do the job. The size of the screen is 135" and its 16:9.

Thanks a lot Bikram. I am exactly looking for such an option. I too have FlexiGray screen from Carl's place. But its 41*71.
Can you please give details of the wooden frame and stapler used?

What is stapler called, if i want to buy myself? Didn't it damage the cloth? please give closer screenshot of your frame, so that i can look how you stapled :)

My carpenter doesn't know about that.

He said he will get take wood 2inch thick, for 4 sides, and in between one vertical wooden bar. And i ordered one velcro tape, coming this week to glue it to wooden frame, and other one stitch to screen. But its tedious job, i am not confident on it.

Please share your details, might be PM me, if not here :)

Thanks,
cmarella

Thanks a lot Bikram. I am exactly looking for such an option. I too have FlexiGray screen from Carl's place. But its 41*71.

What is stapler called, if i want to buy myself? Didn't it damage the cloth? please give closer screenshot of your frame, so that i can look how you stapled :)

He said he will get take wood 2inch thick, for 4 sides, and in between one vertical wooden bar. And i ordered one velcro tape, coming this week to glue it to wooden frame, and other one stitch to screen. But its tedious job, i am not confident on it.

Thanks,
cmarella

You use 2-3" wide and aroun 1" thick wood on all four sides and one vertical and horizontal woods of same dimensions vertically and horizontally in the middle. Fix the corners by using wood pieces (triangular).

Fortunately, I took pictures on each stage of development, so I've the bare-bone skeleton of the frame. See the attachment.

And you can google for carpenter stapler or carpenter staple gun to find one such gun if you do not get it in a hardware store in your town. It surely will be available in your city. Look around for hardware stores or stores that sells power tools like motorized saw, drilling machines, etc. BTW, I've attached an image of carpenter stapler. Mine one looks exactly like this.

Attachments

• 2014-11-14 18.07.11.jpg
    2014-11-14 18.07.11.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 87
  • max-staplers-tg-a-400x400-imad85z9fg5q4wnd.jpg
    max-staplers-tg-a-400x400-imad85z9fg5q4wnd.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 85

Thanks,
cmarella

As other fm mentioned search at hardware shops.
Ask for heavy duty staple gun.
Heavy Duty Staple Gun from Stanley India

I followed the following.
[url]http://www.projector-screen-material.co.uk/tools/building-a-fixed-screen

Also refer http://www.carlofet.com/build-your-own-projector-screen

I mentioned mine in
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/58768-building-fixed-frame-100-screen.html

[/url]

Last edited:
Back