Floor-standers around Rs 1L Q900 Concept 40 XT6F XT8F B&W Elac

Develish

I am thinking of converting my bedroom (around 300 sq ft) current 5.1 system (Marantz 1504 + BA Soundware XS) to a 3.1 system since I do not watch too many movies.

I do like to listen to vocals like Adele, Celine Dion, etc., jazz and the occasional bollywood.

On a visit to ProFx in Bangalore, I heard the KEFQ900s via a Denon X3200W AVR, Adele and Celine Dion. I was just blown away by the depth and clarity of the vocals and this was 320K MP3. I am salivating at the thought of FLAC.

AA.
I am unable to find dealers where I can audition similar speakers. So I thought I will ask forum members if they have experience comparing the Q900s with the Q Acoustics Concept 40, the Tonnoy XT8F, or Elac or B&W.

Any suggestions where I can audition the speakers in Bangalore? Or do I close my eyes and buy the Q900s?

BB.
I am thinking of putting together a 3.1 system saving money on the centre speakers and sub-woofer by using Polk Audio. Is this a good way to go, or do I need to match the centre speakers to the floor standers?

CC.
The AVR. Seek recommendations for the speakers. Denon AVR X2200W or X3200W? or Marantz SR6010 or SR5010?

Thanks in advance.

Devesh

AA.
Any suggestions where I can audition the speakers in Bangalore?
Tannoys - you can audition them at Music Ranch (Jaya Nagar).
Elacs - There is a dealer in Rajaji Nagar. Dynox, I think. But, I do not recall if they have any stock other than entry level Elacs.

BB.
I am thinking of putting together a 3.1 system saving money on the centre speakers and sub-woofer by using Polk Audio. Is this a good way to go, or do I need to match the centre speakers to the floor standers?

Thanks in advance.

Devesh

Why a 3.1 for music listening? I would suggest a 2.0 or atmost a 2.1 for music. Center channel makes sense only if you are planning to upgrade to a 5.1 in future. Would be better to get Center and Surrounds then.

MaSh

Why a 3.1 for music listening? I would suggest a 2.0 or atmost a 2.1 for music. Center channel makes sense only if you are planning to upgrade to a 5.1 in future. Would be better to get Center and Surrounds then.

I am thinking of converting my bedroom (around 300 sq ft) current 5.1 system (Marantz 1504 + BA Soundware XS) to a 3.1 system since I do not watch too many movies.
:)

I do watch Hollywood movies and serials via TataSky HD, so would like the centre channel for speech. I do not care too much about the surround, at this point, and the existing Marantz system will move to the family room outside which has the main entertainment centre for the kids including Blu-ray, PS4, etc.

I would like to get a "primarily stereo" system with just a little home theatre capabilities.

Tannoys - you can audition them at Music Ranch (Jaya Nagar).
Elacs - There is a dealer in Rajaji Nagar. Dynox, I think. But, I do not recall if they have any stock other than entry level Elacs.
May I ask about dealers for B&W or Taga or any other make you recommend?

Also, I observed, ProFX seems to have an excessively high mark-up. Is this a phenomenon across all speciality HiFi audio dealers in Bangalore?

The Q900 are fantastic.Go ahead friend.Marantz 5010 would be my choice
Thanks for your PM.

I heard a set of Elacs at Modern World which are from before the Andrew Jones F5. I think they are B66 or B67 or something like that. I liked the sound too. But it was more German/European. Not so loud like Jamo. Very clean sounding, and much less bass. I like bass. :) :clapping:

:)

I do watch Hollywood movies and serials via TataSky HD, so would like the centre channel for speech. I do not care too much about the surround, at this point, and the existing Marantz system will move to the family room outside which has the main entertainment centre for the kids including Blu-ray, PS4, etc.

I would like to get a "primarily stereo" system with just a little home theatre capabilities.

If this system/room is primarily for music listening, my suggestion would be, ditch the "little home theater capabilities" and strike a compromise.
The money required for a capable AVR and center channel can be diverted towards a good Integrated Amp and DAC (if required).
KEFs do a pretty good job of centering content from movies too. Something to do with their Uni-Q approach I guess.

I have the R300 and don't miss much of center channel capabilities. If interested, come over for a real world "hear-in" at my place.

Cheers,
Raghu

As of now, I have auditioned the Elac B77, B78, B&W 683S2, KEF Q700, Q900.

The 683's are the best. Nice, open, very clear, a touch breezy (which I like), and gives the bass the Q900s are missing. The KEFs are almost as good as the 683s. But the operative word is, almost. The B78s are also good, but definitely a slight step below the KEFs and B&Ws.

Trying to get an audition with the Revolutions through Kripa. Or do FMs recommend to skip it?

If I go for the KEFs, then most definitely will need a sub-woofer for the bass. If not KEF, may be something smaller? Any suggestions for a good small VFM sub-woof? Also which AVR will you opt for for a 3.1 or 2.1 system (expand to 3.1 later)? from the choices below.

If I opt for the 683s, the question arises; will a Marantz 5010 AVR be enough for the 683s or will I need a 7010 or do I listen to the dealer who said I need an Anthem AVR (Rs 2.5L ouch!!!)

Or do I opt for a Denon X3200 or X4200?

Or do I wait for 15 days and get an Onkyo RZ800 or RZ900? Onkyo launches new-look TX-RZ800 and TX-RZ900 AV receivers | What Hi-Fi?

I prefer to listen to guitar jazz, pop vocals (but on the softer side Celine Dion, Adele, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Sinatra, etc) and classical instrumental. ***and I prefer to listen to on a softer volume*** sort of like meditation music which helps me come back to planet earth just before crashing off to sleep.

Suggestions please friends.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Among all that you have mentioned and I heard all of them barring the one ELAC. To me the Q900 were good only for certain kind of music as it lacked the lower Octave quite a lot. The 683 great but again has quality issues,over time you will see the tweeters have doped in,or as if some kid has thumbed them,the bass though has mass but lacks the speed and may sound tubby. The Q acoustics great soundstage and imaging but too larger than life sound it tries to project and that is where the problem lies,you can't be something you are not,theres physics ,small cabinet syndrome will kick in and make it sound artificial at a certain point of time. So .... yes it's the Tannoy all the way especially the XT8F,it has it all though not accurate but does not try to do something it cannot and hence does everything right. It's entertaining,detailed has a great soundstage and the bass. Get them if you can. The other speaker in that range that's excellent are the Dynaudio Emit 30 Cabasse Java Wharfedale Jade 5 and one of the Ushers ...can't remember the model,i believe it's the N 63.... something. These are all personal opinion do audition.

As of now, I have auditioned the Elac B77, B78, B&W 683S2, KEF Q700, Q900.

The 683's are the best. Nice, open, very clear, a touch breezy (which I like), and gives the bass the Q900s are missing. The KEFs are almost as good as the 683s. But the operative word is, almost. The B78s are also good, but definitely a slight step below the KEFs and B&Ws.

Trying to get an audition with the Revolutions through Kripa. Or do FMs recommend to skip it?

If I go for the KEFs, then most definitely will need a sub-woofer for the bass. If not KEF, may be something smaller? Any suggestions for a good small VFM sub-woof? Also which AVR will you opt for for a 3.1 or 2.1 system (expand to 3.1 later)? from the choices below.

If I opt for the 683s, the question arises; will a Marantz 5010 AVR be enough for the 683s or will I need a 7010 or do I listen to the dealer who said I need an Anthem AVR (Rs 2.5L ouch!!!)

Or do I opt for a Denon X3200 or X4200?

Or do I wait for 15 days and get an Onkyo RZ800 or RZ900? Onkyo launches new-look TX-RZ800 and TX-RZ900 AV receivers | What Hi-Fi?

I prefer to listen to guitar jazz, pop vocals (but on the softer side Celine Dion, Adele, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Sinatra, etc) and classical instrumental. ***and I prefer to listen to on a softer volume*** sort of like meditation music which helps me come back to planet earth just before crashing off to sleep.

Suggestions please friends.

Thanks in advance.

Everyone has diff opinion.I like what u may not.So buy what feels good to youe ears.NOT WHAT OTHERS LIKE

I have heard 683 being driven byb70 watt pm8005.Looks like 5010 will do but go for 7010 if u have budget

Everyone has diff opinion.I like what u may not.So buy what feels good to youe ears.NOT WHAT OTHERS LIKE
Very sensible advice.

Over the weekend, did an audition once again of the B&W 683 S2, KEF Q900s, and Elac B78s, and even the Jamo C95. It has been a learning experience, thanks to the forum members who have guided me.

I have finally selected the KEFQ900s.

The 683s are good, but I felt the Q900s are very close and are 25% lower price.

The B78s are great for someone looking for more of the European style purity.

**But my revelations are the Jamo C95s**. AWESOME for the money (around 60K list), and lovely for people listening primarily to vocals. Lovely open soundstage. Almost gave a built in surround sound effect. Good bass. Their weakness is the higher notes of the strings, which sounded a little muffled compared to the Q900s and 683s. That lost it for me, considering I listen to a lot of Marc Antoine, Armik, Fourplay, etc.

Now comes the debate. I listed to the KEF Q600C (Rs 44K list), Q200C (Rs 32K list), and Polk TSx 250C (Rs 20K list) for the centre speaker. Since I do not do much TV, and very little Blu Ray, I am leaning towards the Polk. They sounded just fine for verbal. Have the same 6.5in drivers as the Q600C, and are less than half the price.

I propose using the saved money to plough in to a Polk DSW Pro 500 sub-woofer (the KEF Q400s were a let down). Hopefully come out paying a little over 2L for the whole system including the AVR.

On the AVR side, Marantz 5010 or a Denon X3200W.

Please share your thoughts and oblige.

Did you get a chance to hear the R300. Same price as Q900.
3-way in a small package. But a kick ass speaker.
Just a thought.
Cheers,
Raghu

Very sensible advice.

Over the weekend, did an audition once again of the B&W 683 S2, KEF Q900s, and Elac B78s, and even the Jamo C95. It has been a learning experience, thanks to the forum members who have guided me.

I have finally selected the KEFQ900s.

The 683s are good, but I felt the Q900s are very close and are 25% lower price.

The B78s are great for someone looking for more of the European style purity.

**But my revelations are the Jamo C95s**. AWESOME for the money (around 60K list), and lovely for people listening primarily to vocals. Lovely open soundstage. Almost gave a built in surround sound effect. Good bass. Their weakness is the higher notes of the strings, which sounded a little muffled compared to the Q900s and 683s. That lost it for me, considering I listen to a lot of Marc Antoine, Armik, Fourplay, etc.

Now comes the debate. I listed to the KEF Q600C (Rs 44K list), Q200C (Rs 32K list), and Polk TSx 250C (Rs 20K list) for the centre speaker. Since I do not do much TV, and very little Blu Ray, I am leaning towards the Polk. They sounded just fine for verbal. Have the same 6.5in drivers as the Q600C, and are less than half the price.

I propose using the saved money to plough in to a Polk DSW Pro 500 sub-woofer (the KEF Q400s were a let down). Hopefully come out paying a little over 2L for the whole system including the AVR.

On the AVR side, Marantz 5010 or a Denon X3200W.

Please share your thoughts and oblige.
Good Choice!
KEF 900 is an awesome speaker.I would go for the SR5010.

Marantz 5010 & Denon 3200 have exactly Same specs and Denon costs a lil higher plus Marantz is always recommended for Music.

I am looking for something similar @Bangalore. Thank you for all the info. I agree that the prices in ProFX are way off the charts.

You can audition Dynaudio and Genelec at "the Audio Video People" at Infantry road. The Audio Video People |.

I am looking for a stereo setup and found the Dynaaudio Emit M10 and M20 pretty good. Found these much better than KEF's are profx.
"the Audio Video People" also sell marantz and you can audition them there. I was suggested to drive the above speakers using a 5010 as well.

You can also look at Genelec. They are active speakers and really great, but a liittle expensive and hence beyond my price point.

I have a budget of around 1L and will follow this thread for your inputs as well :).

/Amit

Did you get a chance to hear the R300. Same price as Q900.
3-way in a small package. But a kick ass speaker.
Agree Raghu. In fact the R300 is a 3 way while the Q900 is a 2.5 way.

The sound on the R300 was more pure, but the Q900s had a bigger and more expansive sound-stage. The R300 will definitely need a sub-woofer to complement them while the Q900 have enough of ooomphf. :licklips:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back