Floorstanders without Sub vs. Bookshelves with Sub?

dannyarcher

Hi all,
After doing some rounds in the city to audition a few setups, I have a question:

Should I go with Floorstanders minus a sub or go with Bookshelves with a sub-woofer?
Primary use-case: 75% Movies, OTT, gaming | 25% Music
Room size: 12 * 18ft, living room.

The speakers in consideration are: Q3050i vs Q3020i as fronts in a 5 channel setup.
The difference is about 20k, given that I have to buy stands to mount the bookshelves. While I do understand the value of a sub-woofer in a dedicated home-theater setup, does a living room warrant one?

If I go the bookshelves route, I'm willing to spend ~30k for a good sub-woofer if it significantly impacts the presentation (While I do like bass, don't enjoy too much of it)

Request your advice in this matter.
Thank you.

Hi Danny,

In case if you are going for bookshelves with the Q3020i, you will definitely need a subwoofer as the bookshelves will lack in bass for the room.
Regards.

If you have to pick between floorstanders or bookshelves+sub, imo and already pointed out by FMs, floorstanders are the way to go, since you will use the system mostly for movies. Movies typically have good low frequencies that will be better reproduced by floorstanders priced the same as bookshelf.

Subwoofers, 1 or 2, you can always add later. Floorstanders + Dual subs would be a nice combo for movies.
While I do like bass, don't enjoy too much of it
Adding sub/subs is not proportional to more/too much of bass. Even if you add two subs, you still can fine tune, position properly, to get the bass that you like. Subs though provide low frequency extension, they also contribute to the mids.

I have an 8inch sealed sub, and I tell you that the bass isn't punchy or chest pounding. I always power the sub, just for the mids to sound fuller with some weight. Without the sub, the same tracks sound thin, which I don't like after installing the sub.

Last edited:
Hi all,
After doing some rounds in the city to audition a few setups, I have a question:

Should I go with Floorstanders minus a sub or go with Bookshelves with a sub-woofer?
Primary use-case: 75% Movies, OTT, gaming | 25% Music
Room size: 12 * 18ft, living room.

The speakers in consideration are: Q3050i vs Q3020i as fronts in a 5 channel setup.
The difference is about 20k, given that I have to buy stands to mount the bookshelves. While I do understand the value of a sub-woofer in a dedicated home-theater setup, does a living room warrant one?

If I go the bookshelves route, I'm willing to spend ~30k for a good sub-woofer if it significantly impacts the presentation (While I do like bass, don't enjoy too much of it)

Request your advice in this matter.
Thank you.
Bookshelf + subwoofer ( properly equalised bass using a subwoofer with peq feature)
Equalising low frequencies is a must..
Even for music..
I listen music with my sub equalised and now I cannot listen music without the sub coz I don't just hear the music, I feel it too!! ;)
However subwoofer integration needs a lot of practice and skill..

Good luck.
:)

Last edited:
Hi Danny,

In case if you are going for bookshelves with the Q3020i, you will definitely need a subwoofer as the bookshelves will lack in bass for the room.
Regards.
Yes, Nithin. That is the plan -- if I intend to go with the bookshelves, I'll definitely go for a sub. (something like Polk HTS 10 or a used sub)

General rule of thumb: The sub(s) need to be more bad ass than the FS or BS, else the sub will not be prominent and will just get lost and TBH, I dont think the polk sub with BS is really going to cut it for a cracking movie experience.

It's your living room, no one's going to stop you from plonking a sub here and there. If you want to keep things tidy, then BS and sub. You are better off letting the avr handle the bass management. Since most of your listening is movies, do focus on the best centre ch your money can buy now and worry about the LR later.

Last edited:
If you have to pick between floorstanders or bookshelves+sub, imo and already pointed out by FMs, floorstanders are the way to go, since you will use the system mostly for movies. Movies typically have good low frequencies that will be better reproduced by floorstanders priced the same as bookshelf.

Subwoofers, 1 or 2, you can always add later. Floorstanders + Dual subs would be a nice combo for movies.

Adding sub/subs is not proportional to more/too much of bass. Even if you add two subs, you still can fine tune, position properly, to get the bass that you like. Subs though provide low frequency extension, they also contribute to the mids.

I have an 8inch sealed sub, and I tell you that the bass isn't punchy or chest pounding. I always power the sub, just for the mids to sound fuller with some weight. Without the sub, the same tracks sound thin, which I don't like after installing the sub.
Thanks for the reply, Robin.
Need a bit of clarification -- If sub-woofers provide extension to the low and mid-frequencies, and for movies -- if most of the sound comes from the centre channel, is it still wise to go for the floorstanders? (I'm still a novice in these matters, don't mind.)

Bookshelf + subwoofer ( properly equalised bass using a subwoofer with peq feature)
Equalising low frequencies is a must..
Even for music..
I listen music with my sub equalised and now I cannot listen music without the sub coz I don't just hear the music, I feel it too!! ;)
However subwoofer integration needs a lot of practice and skill..

Good luck.
:)
I'll keep this point of EQ in mind. Thanks, Prateek.

As you have mentioned movies are your priority than bookshelf speaker with subwoofer is the best option to explore. In this way you can divert the heavy low end load ( from front channels also) to subwoofer. Now your amplifier have more power to deliver which improves the headroom which is in turns improve the movies dynamics.
If you move with floorstanding speakers only ( without subwoofer) you will miss .1 information from movies sound. Movies will sound anamic and unexciting. In this case you can divert .1 information in to front speakers which will further increase the load on amplifier section which will reduce headroom and dynamics. This will results more heat generation from amplifier and reduce the life of avr. Presently with limited budget with full throttle movie experience bookshelf speaker with subwoofer is a wise option and later on introduce floor standing speakers to front channels .

For 75% movies, you absolutely need a sub. No way around that.
Then it's the Q3050i with a sub. Look at BIC. Around 40k but probably worth the extra money.
Or wait till something comes up for sale.
Option 2 is to look for used FS and sub.

Which sub do you have ?

As you have mentioned movies are your priority than bookshelf speaker with subwoofer is the best option to explore. In this way you can divert the heavy low end load ( from front channels also) to subwoofer. Now your amplifier have more power to deliver which improves the headroom which is in turns improve the movies dynamics.
If you move with floorstanding speakers only ( without subwoofer) you will miss .1 information from movies sound. Movies will sound anamic and unexciting. In this case you can divert .1 information in to front speakers which will further increase the load on amplifier section which will reduce headroom and dynamics. This will results more heat generation from amplifier and reduce the life of avr. Presently with limited budget with full throttle movie experience bookshelf speaker with subwoofer is a wise option and later on introduce floor standing speakers to front channels .
Thank you for laying out this in detail. This makes a lot of sense.

For 75% movies, you absolutely need a sub. No way around that.
Then it's the Q3050i with a sub. Look at BIC. Around 40k but probably worth the extra money.
Or wait till something comes up for sale.
Option 2 is to look for used FS and sub.
Thanks. Reg. BIC, I see that they have F12 for 40k - Is that the one you're referring to? Will keep an eye out in the Classifieds section.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back