Floorstanding recommendations under 1L

harshalbid271

Hello HiFiers, looking for recommendations for floorstanding speakers - with primary use case being music.

I currently own a pair of Epos K1 bookshelves, and unfortunately I'm locked down in a different city. I quite like the K1s, but I'm looking to get a pair of floorstandings for the living room in my parents house. My folks have a nice TV hooked up, but no speaker system. Not quite looking to go for a surround setup.

In my situation, auditioning speakers is not going to be an option for a while now, so I'm turning to the experience of folks here to help me make a decision. I started out by looking at inexpensive options such as pioneer andrew jones, or polk audio t50, but the more I've been exploring, the more I feel inclined to buy a nice set that I can feel happy with for the next 5-10 years.

Most recently I set my eyes on Dali Oberon 5. The living room itself if about 200 sqft, but with only 2 walls, it's open to the rest of the house, which would be about 1000-1500 sqft of open area. I'm not really keen on adding a subwoofer, the more minimal the setup the better since the TV area isn't quite designed to accommodate any equipment (for a while I even entertained getting powered floorstandings). Do you think Oberon 5 should be powerful enough to provide a good listening experience for the described space, or should I be looking at Oberon 7 instead?

Also if you might have any other speaker suggestions, I'm all ears (!!).

Cheers!

Oberon 7 should come easily in that budget . Lindon Heritage, Paradigm Premier 700f, XTZ Spirit 11 & KEF Q750 are contenders too.

I figure Oberon 7 would fall within this budget, but I was wondering if the size of the listening room and the size of the open space makes it necessary to step up to Oberon 7 from 5.

I do like the sound of KEFs, Q750 won't stay within the budget though, will it? I think I'll have to go with Q550 to stay in budget?

Oberon 7 is good but Oberon 5 should suffice for you. Since this would be a stereo setup, invest that amount in a better amp instead.

If you wish to keep a simple setup, go with bookshelves that provide decent bass. Since it is for your parents, I don't see a need for chest-thumping sub 35Hz!

Can't go wrong with the below ones:
Wharfedale Evo 4.2, Elac Debut B6.2, KEF Q350, QAcoustics 3030i, NHT C3, Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Pair them with a Marantz or Denon stereo amp, and you're good to go.

If you wish to keep a simple setup, go with bookshelves that provide decent bass. Since it is for your parents, I don't see a need for chest-thumping sub 35Hz!

Can't go wrong with the below ones:
Wharfedale Evo 4.2, Elac Debut B6.2, KEF Q350, QAcoustics 3030i, NHT C3, Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Pair them with a Marantz or Denon stereo amp, and you're good to go.

Well I have been wanting to get a nice pair of floorstanders, just that my living arrangement in Bangalore doesn't quite permit it. I have been using a pair of nice bookshelves for about 5 years now, and want to get something with a bigger sound. Plus bookshelves would mean having to buy stands as well. So might as well just spend a little more and go for the floorstanders that I've been wanting.

Also, I'm gonna be here through the lockdown, and will be a frequent visitor in the future too. So it's not only for the parents :D

Oberon 7 is good but Oberon 5 should suffice for you. Since this would be a stereo setup, invest that amount in a better amp instead.

Thanks! I do like this idea.

It's just that when I realised how small oberon 5s are, it made me wonder if it's suitable for a living room with open walls.

Hello HiFiers, looking for recommendations for floorstanding speakers - with primary use case being music.

I currently own a pair of Epos K1 bookshelves, and unfortunately I'm locked down in a different city. I quite like the K1s, but I'm looking to get a pair of floorstandings for the living room in my parents house. My folks have a nice TV hooked up, but no speaker system. Not quite looking to go for a surround setup.

In my situation, auditioning speakers is not going to be an option for a while now, so I'm turning to the experience of folks here to help me make a decision. I started out by looking at inexpensive options such as pioneer andrew jones, or polk audio t50, but the more I've been exploring, the more I feel inclined to buy a nice set that I can feel happy with for the next 5-10 years.

Most recently I set my eyes on Dali Oberon 5. The living room itself if about 200 sqft, but with only 2 walls, it's open to the rest of the house, which would be about 1000-1500 sqft of open area. I'm not really keen on adding a subwoofer, the more minimal the setup the better since the TV area isn't quite designed to accommodate any equipment (for a while I even entertained getting powered floorstandings). Do you think Oberon 5 should be powerful enough to provide a good listening experience for the described space, or should I be looking at Oberon 7 instead?

Also if you might have any other speaker suggestions, I'm all ears (!!).

Cheers!

I don't think a bookshelf would be able to fill the space you have. I have a Dali Oberon 5 and I would recommend it for sure if you like a detailed, slightly bright, airy sound. I would not however recommend partnering Dali with a very bright amps or source. Oberon 7 might be a slight overkill for this space and I felt that Oberon 7 was not as balanced as Oberon 5. Also take a look at QAcoustics 3050i..It's really rich, warm and ideal for a large listening space.

XTZ Spirit 11 will be a good option, they are slightly better than KEF Q550, SVS Prime Towers etc.

For your room size and towers to fill the room without subwoofer, ideal will be speakers like SVS Ultra Towers with Emotiva XPA2 kind of Amp.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back