FM booster or extender

blackscorpio

Ok, recently I had laid down dipole antenna on the terrace and ran into my flat. Now it works fine as long as the wire is really connected to the tuner.

I have FM on boombox & another ipod dock. The question is how do I extend the FM signal from the dipole I already have. I can't lay down wire to all 3 points in home so I am looking for some device or some idea to extend the signal to cover my entire home.

Does something like this work:
https://www.amazon.in/Generic-16dBi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MAN46CD8KXCW5BK22F8W

Thank you for your time.

If are looking for gadgets then there are plenty. But please below for the analogy I am trying to explain.
There is well and you need water.
1. If there is water in the well then you can take it out from the well and probably use it.
2. If water in the well is polluted then you can still fetch it out but cannot use it.
3. if you put pump then it must near water source. If water is present then it will be useful. Whatever quality of water you input, that same will be at the output.

Same thing applies here -
1. If the gadget (receiver) is receiving signal then it will catch it. Hence internal antenna of FM receivers fail indoors because it does not get signal itself. We live inside concrete walls and ceiling. Hence signal cannot penetrate those obstacles. So outdoor antenna is required for optimal quality.
2. If we get signal indoor then still there are lot of noise generator in-house in the form of different electronics. They all interfere with already weak signal. Hence quality of signal is not there. So each equipment/receiver needs that good signal fed to it through antenna input points.

Using RF amplifier or inline LNA in absence of signal just pumps in own noise and harmonics, or amplifies environment noise, nothing else. Receivers may show full range signal but nothing useful gained. It helps only if you have good input and that you either want to divide in many receivers or recover wire losses. Then you amplify the good signal from sourced antenna, amplify and feed to multiple receivers. Otherwise no signal input to any amplifier no output from that too.

Sometime antenna receives good signal but wire and distribution loses it. Hence we add amplifier near signal source itself to boost it till we get into our receiver. That's perfectly okay.

So proper antenna, proper place of antenna and proper distribution is must.
antenna for house hold receivers are -
1. Wire loop antenna (indoor/ window attached)
2. Simple dipole means 2 x 2.5 ft 10mm diameter aluminum pipes joined over wooden piece and taken signal across joint.
3. Yagi antenna
4. DIY for all above. ;p

Last edited:
If are looking for gadgets then there are plenty. But please below for the analogy I am trying to explain.
1. If there is water in the well then you can take it out from the well and probably use it.
2. If water in the well is polluted then you can still fetch it out but cannot use it.
3. if you put pump then it must near water source. If water is present then it will be useful. Whatever quality of water you input, that same will be at the output.

1. If the gadget (receiver) is receiving signal then it will catch it. Hence internal antenna of FM receivers fail indoors because it does not get signal itself. We live inside concrete walls and ceiling. Hence signal cannot penetrate those obstacles. So outdoor antenna is required for optimal quality.
2. If we get signal indoor then still there are lot of noise generator in-house in the form of different electronics. They all interfere with already weak signal. Hence quality of signal is not there. So each equipment/receiver needs that good signal fed to it through antenna input points.

Using RF amplifier or inline LNA in absence of signal just pumps in own noise and harmonics, or amplifies environment noise, nothing else. Receivers may show full range signal but nothing useful gained. It helps only if you have good input and that you either want to divide in many receivers or recover wire losses. Then you amplify the good signal from sourced antenna, amplify and feed to multiple receivers. Otherwise no signal input to any amplifier no output from that too.

Sometime antenna receives good signal but wire and distribution loses it. Hence we add amplifier near signal source itself to boost it till we get into our receiver. That's perfectly okay.

2. Simple dipole means 2 x 2.5 ft 10mm diameter aluminum pipes joined over wooden piece and taken signal across joint.
3. Yagi antenna
4. DIY for all above. ;p

Thank you so much for a beautiful way of explanation. Nice way to say what I am getting into. Appreciate your time.

Believe me I tried using "Parts Express FM Dipole Antenna with 300 Ohm Twin Leads ", lay it out inside the home & outside the window. Reception in my home is very poor, no reception with the antenna that came with the AVR or other radios. Even the mobile phone reception also not good. That's the reason, I had to put the dipole on the terrace of the 5 floor building & ran the DTH cable into my home. I had used a 300ohm to 75ohm balun at the terrace, as I don't have the twin lead wire. I guess the signal coming into my home is good, as it is coming through the shielded 75ohm DTH cable.

If it needs a better antenna on the top, like a Yagi, I am all in for doing one. As it happens the reception is very poor in the home, how do I solve it?

3. Yagi antenna
4. DIY for all above. ;p

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back