FM Reception-Relocation of Tuner

Saket

Hello FMs,

Presently my Pioneer SX-434 is parked near my room's window and I have got running 1 meter wire attached to tuner and the window grill acting as a good antenna. I get good results & receive all FM channels with stereo broadcasts in my area. Without this antenna, my Tuner is totally quiet.

I will be shifting to my new flat in a few days. I am planning to plant my Tuner in my drawing room along with my LCD and turntable. I am worried because my drawing room has no window or any such thing that can work as antenna for my tuner. Also, do not want long wires running around my room crawling towards the nearest window which is at least 30-35 feet away.
What i was thinking was to hook up the ground wire (the outside of the coaxial cable) of my TV cable network to my tuner. Will it work? Any more such ideas? I donot have an option of roof mounting antena as its a high-rise building and I am on the lower floors.

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited:
Saket, I m also going through the same problem. I recently shifted to a new house in the same colony. Earlier my Tuners-Harman kardon TU-911A (digital) & Sansui TU-317 ( Analog) were kept in my Living room and adjoing the window. So, I had no problem to carry antenna wire from antennae fitted on rooftop to my tuner , cos I was living in a single story building. I was getting 12-15 stations in that position. I live in karnal which is 125 km from delhi and I was getting all the delhi FM stations. But now I have to set up my system in lobby area and there is no window nearby. And its not possible to connect the antenna wire form outside the house . And Now my house is on G.F. and the there are 3 floors more, So its not easy for me to install any antennae on the Top Floor.Now what I m doing is to compromise with the small piece of wire as antenna. So, not enjoying the whole 12 to 15 stations as earlier. Now I m thinking of indoor antenna with signal booster. If you have any one in your knowledge, pls. share with me
Thanks
Ashutosh

Saket, I m also going through the same problem. I recently shifted to a new house in the same colony. Earlier my Tuners-Harman kardon TU-911A (digital) & Sansui TU-317 ( Analog) were kept in my Living room and adjoing the window. So, I had no problem to carry antenna wire from antennae fitted on rooftop to my tuner , cos I was living in a single story building. I was getting 12-15 stations in that position. I live in karnal which is 125 km from delhi and I was getting all the delhi FM stations. But now I have to set up my system in lobby area and there is no window nearby. And its not possible to connect the antenna wire form outside the house . And Now my house is on G.F. and the there are 3 floors more, So its not easy for me to install any antennae on the Top Floor.Now what I m doing is to compromise with the small piece of wire as antenna. So, not enjoying the whole 12 to 15 stations as earlier. Now I m thinking of indoor antenna with signal booster. If you have any one in your knowledge, pls. share with me
Thanks
Ashutosh

I think I will try using the ground wire of my cable TV wire as the first option. In case if it works, it will be better than an indoor antenna. My building is a 9 storey building & I am on 3rd floor...no chance of a roof antenna. Also not sure about the broadcasting directions...so will first try this option only. May be I can try it this evening. Will let you know of any breakthrough!

Regards,
Saket

G.F. ......... Girlfriend?? what is that?

Hahaha...Good one...I think he meant ground floor. Lets not imagine him shifting into his GFs house or worse; building his house on his GFs head!
(And Now my house is on G.F. )

PS: No offence meant to anyone.

Last edited:
BTW, Hemant, you are yourself a gadget enthusiast...why not share some views about this problem?

Saket

Last edited:
Earlier my Tuners-Harman kardon TU-911A (digital) & Sansui TU-317 ( Analog) were kept in my Living room and adjoing the window.

BTW, you have a very nice tuner...the Sansui.
I envy you, that you receive so many nice stations from Delhi. I have been in Delhi for about 3-4 years & really know what FM means to the office goers in metro, people travelling in buses, autorickshaws, that girl with her mobile playing some unknown Fm channel through her headset, & myself listening to it while cooking dinner for myself & until I felt asleep!! Good old memories of Delhi FM stations.
We have 6 FM channels in our city, Ranchi. BTW, can anyone confirm that is 92.7 Big FM broadcasted same across the country? I remember some Same RJs...

Last edited:
BTW, you have a very nice tuner...the Sansui.
I envy you, that you receive so many nice stations from Delhi. I have been in Delho for about 3-4 years & really know what FM means to the office goers in metro, people travelling in buses, autorickshaws, that girl with her mobile playing some unknown Fm channel through her headset, & myself listening to it while cooking dinner for myself & until I felt asleep!! Good old memories of Delhi FM stations.
We have 6 FM channels in our city, Ranchi. BTW, can anyone confirm that is 92.7 Big FM broadcasted same across the country? I remember some Same RJs...

Yes, I think Big FM broadcast throuout India at same frequence except one station which I receive In Karnal at 95 mhz. and it says 95 big fm. I think this one is somewhere from Punjab but dont know the city
Ashutosh

Thanks Omishra for the link but I would prefer something DIY types. (You see I'm broke now fabricating my new house!!)

& yes, Ashutosh & to all readers here: I found out that Big FM 92.7 is same throughout the country, currently covering 45 cities. Also it broadcasts in Singapore (that was a revelation to me!) and is the only private FM transmission in Jammu & Kashmir.

Courtesy: Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_FM_(Indian_radio_station)

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
OKay, finally I have moved to my new flat & installed my receiver. I am glad to tell you guys that without much hassle, I was able to get good reception in stereo with the cable TV ground connection! But later also added a ~15cm long solid aluminum wire which i have left hanging at the receiver's rear side. The reception is good & having no transmission issues so I am relaxed. Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion.

Regards,
Saket

Yes, Big FM is from the Reliance House and broadcasts from a number of locations across India on the same frequency. We have one here in Trivandrum as well.

Thanks for coming in Reuben, just wanted to make sure that if the broadcast is same (i mean the programs aired and not the frequency). Like at your location, in Trivendrum does it broadcasts any program specific to your region or its same all over India.

As per my knowledge, its probably the same. (or may be some time slot for regional programs??)

Regards,
Saket

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back