FM tuner with digital or Coaxial output

TD150

Hello Friends,

I am planning to use seperate DAC for listening to FM Radio.

Would like to know which FM radio tuner has digital or coaxial output options and available in Mumbai.

Thanks.

Hello Friends,

I am planning to use seperate DAC for listening to FM Radio.

Would like to know which FM radio tuner has digital or coaxial output options and available in Mumbai.

Thanks.

I doubt you get a FM radio with digital outputs as the FM is always a 2 channel audio. I have a Grace Digital internet radio which has digital outs but the digital outs is for only for the media playback like SD/USB sources as this player is all in one player including the internet/fm radio,SD,USB media player. I tried to use the digital out of the player for local FM stations but there is no output :lol:

AM/FM Radio is an all analog process. Where does the digital output come into the picture?

If you are talking about satellite radio, then yes there are some which have digital outputs. Unfortunately no service provider exists in India for satellite radio.

@TD150: the final output of an FM receiver is just L and R analog audio. If an ADC is introduced, it introduces another step of signal processing. Eventually, you will run it through a DAC, which is another processing. Neither of these steps are essential. Simply plug in the analog output of your tuner to the line input of your amp.

I had checked on net about Marantz ST7001 FM Tuner (sadly the model is discarded), which has digital & coaxial output. There are other brands also with such outputs.

I intent to use a cheap FM Tuner which can recieve signals and attach a seperate DAC to decode them.

Buying cheap Tuner in Mumbai would make sense rather than importing it.

Regards,

Why would you want to convert the analogue signal into digital and back to analogue?

Your query did however remind me of my beloved Sanyo world-space receiver which had a digital out and I used to use an external DAC with that. Now that was another story.

I intent to use a cheap FM Tuner which can recieve signals and attach a seperate DAC to decode them.
Regards,

As already mentioned by other FMs, why would you want to use the built-in ADC of the "cheap" tuner to convert analogue to digital (that is assuming such a product is available) and then convert it back to analogue using a "good" DAC? You wont gain anything in terms of SQ.

I had checked on net about Marantz ST7001 FM Tuner (sadly the model is discarded), which has digital & coaxial output. There are other brands also with such outputs.

Buying cheap Tuner in Mumbai would make sense rather than importing it.

Regards,

ST7001 is a satellite tuner for sirius/xm which are digital streams. Neither of these services (which are paid btw) exist in india. I'm pretty much 100% sure that it can't output am/fm signal via coaxial digital out in it.

I was under misconception that the FM Tuners recieve digital signals and hence thought of using a good DAC to convert it to analogue.

Thanks guys for all the gyan.

sending... what i mean is the tuner can be connected via bluetooth to my bluetooth receiving amplifier so that I will be able to hear music thru the speakers which are connected to the amplifier.

If I guess, the whole intention was to avoid interference by using a RCA and use Digital for interconnecting - same thing I used to wish we have between Head unit and External AMp in Cars,so that instead 3-pairs of costly RCA, we have a single high quality optical/Coaxial cable which is both noise free and cheaper(overall).

But why to go for cheap Tuner when you can get very decent Tuners from gone by era for a reasonable price ? I think there must be many available on the Buy/Steel section of this forum or otherwise advertised in public domain :
fm tuner

The problem with these used tuners is that they don't have the required sensitivity. In addition the alignment has been lost, the tuned frequency is drifting. Further the skilled technicians with the required gear are not available easily, this is the reason why so many tuners from Sansui/Akai/Technic are available cheaply in the used market. I am saying this from my personal bitter experience.
Even if you get a brand new tuner, unless you live within 30 Km radius of the transmitting tower you wont get clear stereo signal. For that you will have to build your own Yagi antenna as you can not get the same in the market.

The problem with these used tuners is that they don't have the required sensitivity. In addition the alignment has been lost, the tuned frequency is drifting. Further the skilled technicians with the required gear are not available easily, this is the reason why so many tuners from Sansui/Akai/Technic are available cheaply in the used market. I am saying this from my personal bitter experience.
Even if you get a brand new tuner, unless you live within 30 Km radius of the transmitting tower you wont get clear stereo signal. For that you will have to build your own Yagi antenna as you can not get the same in the market.

This is the exact reason why me, a few other forum members and couple of my friends are still searching for good tuners even though many are available in the used market. Alignment is the scary part !

This is the exact reason why me, a few other forum members and couple of my friends are still searching for good tuners even though many are available in the used market. Alignment is the scary part !

I am quite lucky in this matter. I have a Vintage Sansui Analogue Tuner. There is not even single issue regarding sensitivity/ selectivity/alignment. In fact it is so sensitive that I can listen at my home in Karnal all FM stations of Delhi without any special antenna. And I am located appx. 135 km. from Delhi. I am enjoying listening this Tuner for the last 8-10 years. I have tried so many Tuners but no one beat this Vintage Monster in any aspect.

I am quite lucky in this matter. I have a Vintage Sansui Analogue Tuner. There is not even single issue regarding sensitivity/ selectivity/alignment. In fact it is so sensitive that I can listen at my home in Karnal all FM stations of Delhi without any special antenna. And I am located appx. 135 km. from Delhi. I am enjoying listening this Tuner for the last 8-10 years. I have tried so many Tuners but no one beat this Vintage Monster in any aspect.

I think I remember something about your tuner.
Was it the one you were planning to sell to buy the still higher Sansui model or is it that higher model which you finally bought ?

I think I remember something about your tuner.
Was it the one you were planning to sell to buy the still higher Sansui model or is it that higher model which you finally bought ?

Yes. it is the one which I decided to sell sometime back. A person outside the forum was selling his Sansui Tuner TU-9900 and I was planning to upgrade. He was asking 15k for this Tuner. I thouhgt it could be negotiated and to be finalised at 12k. But he refused to sell below 15k and later on cancelled his idea to sell. So i m enjoying my Sansui TU-317 Analog Tuner

Besides satellite radio (Worldspace - rest in peace) and internet radio (Squeezebox - rest in peace), there's also DAB or Digital Audio Broadcast radio. I was surprised to find out how popular this is in Europe.

Unfortunately though, India seems to be thoroughly bypassed in all of this.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back