For Music: DAC+DVD player ? OR DAC+CD player ?

sudhirbhosale

Only for music listening scenario. I have good original CD collection:
If I am going to connect DVD/CD player to DAC (already hav small FIIO DAC) via coaxial.

Scenario 1:
Buy good DVD player and connect to DAC - cost 4K for Pioneer

Scenario 2:
Buy good CD player (like Yamaha) and connect to DAC - cost 18K plus

My confusion / quesiton:
Then do I invest more on player since DAC do the signal processing which influence quality. Since coaxial is only signal pickup from CD then would it make any difference if it is by budget DVD player or expensive CD player.

Scenario 3:
And same question if I am playing mp3 in DVD / CD player and diverting to DAC via coaxial.

The reason is:
If I go for good CD player like Yamaha would cost 15K onward. And If I buy budget DVD player like Pioneer then cost 4K.
I already have FIIO DAC hence thinking connecting budget DVD player OR premium CD player make any big difference in sound quality?

Thanks

Scenario 3:
And same question if I am playing mp3 in DVD / CD player and diverting to DAC via coaxial.

My understanding is if you use a DVD/CD player to play mp3 content, the external DAC may not be able to recognise it. The DAC would expect a PCM stream encoded with S/PDIF or Toslink or USB, etc, depending on which interface(s) the DAC uses. Or are there DACs that recognise and decode mp3 stream?

My understanding is if you use a DVD/CD player to play mp3 content, the external DAC may not be able to recognise it. The DAC would expect a PCM stream encoded with S/PDIF or Toslink or USB, etc, depending on which interface(s) the DAC uses. Or are there DACs that recognise and decode mp3 stream?

As long as the DAC decodes it and outputs a PCM stream, it should be ok.

Regarding the question of DVD vs CD player, the quality of the transport and precision of the timing circuits matter. A DVD player probably has clocks which are primarily designed for both audio and video. These changeable frequency clocks will drift far more than a fixed frequency TXCO or similar used by a good cd player/transport. More info and scope readings here:

DVD Player Jitter Measurements

Yes,but the player will send MP3 as PCM.I use Toshiba BDp Bitsream to DAC,and DAC plays mp3 files.

you already have DAC and you need a "thing" to play your mp3 files..

and I am sure you already have laptop or PC with you, then why you are throwing money on CD or DVD player..

Rip CDs on PC/LAPTOP in the format(FLAC/WAV/MP3) and play it in foobar/Jriver, give USB output to your DAC and enjoy...no need to go for any other player.
Money saved can be used for buying better DAC..

As long as the DAC decodes it and outputs a PCM stream, it should be ok.

Regarding the question of DVD vs CD player, the quality of the transport and precision of the timing circuits matter. A DVD player probably has clocks which are primarily designed for both audio and video. These changeable frequency clocks will drift far more than a fixed frequency TXCO or similar used by a good cd player/transport. More info and scope readings here:

DVD Player Jitter Measurements

Would DVD player with twin lense pick up help to get required precision ? I mean there might be different circuits for two pickup processing...... just guess

Would DVD player with twin lense pick up help to get required precision ? I mean there might be different circuits for two pickup processing...... just guess

I'd really doubt it. They'd still use the same clock.

However after reading your first post, with a fiio dac, it doesn't matter whether you use a dvd player or cd player. Its and entry level dac and hence will be the bottleneck. Transport changes are much more audible on higher end dacs.

I use oppo BDP 83 to send SPDIF Co Axial to Anedio D1 DAC ( ESS 9018 based )

when compared to CD Player Marantz 5001, Co Axial out there is a big difference

the oppo 83 sounds much better, there are many variables in how the Digital output

is implemented in each player , which influences the sound even though the signal is

digital, the square waves become rounded, causing a change in sound quality

I'm sorry, but I think if you are playing mp3 tracks, it will make no difference to sound quality whether you use cdp or dvdp - format would be the weakest link.

OP has said that he has a good CD collection.

I'm sorry, but I think if you are playing mp3 tracks, it will make no difference to sound quality whether you use cdp or dvdp - format would be the weakest link.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back