For Music : High end Computer Speaker or Entry level Studio Monitor Speakers?

Hi,
I want to listen to my mp3s(mostly 320 Kbps) which are stored on my PC and iPhone with maximum sound quality. I have 30K budget for that.I shortlised some high end computer speakers, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 BT and Edifier S350DB are my final choice. I never get a chance to audition studio monitors or bookshelf speakers. So I don’t know how they sound.people are saying they are way better than the computer speakers in general. Can someone help me to chose the correct stereo speakers for me ?. My listening preference are simple I need pronounced high(treble) and sharp lows(bass). I don’t bother about mids much( may be I used to listen computer speakers).Above mentioned computer speakers are pretty pricy ( 22K to 28K).shuld I go with them or these studio monitors can make really big difference over those computer speakers?

Visit diyaudiocart. Com

Bibin Bibin from kochi side

There is a Dayton full range speaker

You may explore

Manoj. I believe you should seriously consider the JBL LSR305 (LSR308 if you want more bass). Comes well within your budget. I checked them out here in Bangalore and the imaging was fantastic. The music was very well defined and dispersed. I listen to a lot of songs with good mid-range and the same was really good as well. The only botheration for me was that I'm not a big fan of 'highs', but I think you like pronounced 'highs' - JBLs have them.

Check out more info here: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305

It's a shame that the MKII versions of these speakers are not in India yet. However, like in most cases, you really have to listen in precisely to decipher the difference between previous and MKii versions.

You may need a DAC. Came across a review on headphonezone from someone that connected Schiit Fulla2 DAC to his LSR305 and how the sound got transformed for good. But take all reviews with a pinch of salt :)

You can also try Swans D1080IV (approx. 14 k), they are quite good for music. Both bass and treble are quite enjoyable. I have Sabaj DA2 dac which I bought from Aliexpress (approx. 4k), sounds very good with that.

You can also try Swans D1080IV (approx. 14 k), they are quite good for music. Both bass and treble are quite enjoyable. I have Sabaj DA2 dac which I bought from Aliexpress (approx. 4k), sounds very good with that.
Thanks for the reply, How can I add a active sub later to this setup. And is DAC that important?

This DAC also has an pre amplifier chip, if you play from you mobile you will get low volume from speakers because analogue output from mobiles is not powerful enough. Adding dac in chain will make volume higher, add tightness and weight to bass and make vocals sound more natural. For music listening these speakers have adequate bass if you add a dac/preamp in chain. For thundering bass of movies you can add something like minidsp later.

Just grab those KRK listed on the For Sale, great speakers and exactly to your budget I think.

Manoj. I believe you should seriously consider the JBL LSR305 (LSR308 if you want more bass). Comes well within your budget. I checked them out here in Bangalore and the imaging was fantastic. The music was very well defined and dispersed. I listen to a lot of songs with good mid-range and the same was really good as well. The only botheration for me was that I'm not a big fan of 'highs', but I think you like pronounced 'highs' - JBLs have them.

Check out more info here: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305

It's a shame that the MKII versions of these speakers are not in India yet. However, like in most cases, you really have to listen in precisely to decipher the difference between previous and MKii versions.

You may need a DAC. Came across a review on headphonezone from someone that connected Schiit Fulla2 DAC to his LSR305 and how the sound got transformed for good. But take all reviews with a pinch of salt :)
I hear about Swan M200MKlll+, it’s got pretty decent reviews. Heard of them?

Hi,
I want to listen to my mp3s(mostly 320 Kbps) which are stored on my PC and iPhone with maximum sound quality. I have 30K budget for that.I shortlised some high end computer speakers, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 BT and Edifier S350DB are my final choice. I never get a chance to audition studio monitors or bookshelf speakers. So I don’t know how they sound.people are saying they are way better than the computer speakers in general. Can someone help me to chose the correct stereo speakers for me ?. My listening preference are simple I need pronounced high(treble) and sharp lows(bass). I don’t bother about mids much( may be I used to listen computer speakers).Above mentioned computer speakers are pretty pricy ( 22K to 28K).shuld I go with them or these studio monitors can make really big difference over those computer speakers?
Studio monitors are meant for studios and not meant for listening to music at home.

Computer speakers are generally near field speakers meant for listening to music sitting right in front of your computer and near to the speakers.
Computer speakers lack the throw for listening to music away from the speakers, as computer speakers are designed for near field listening, sitting right in front of the computer.

If you listen to music away from the speakers, i.e. say a feet away from the speakers, which is the normal method in hifi setups, or still further away, then you need hifi speakers, whether it be bookshelf or floor standers. With hifi speakers you can listen to music away from the speakers and as well as in a somewhat near field position,

Last edited:
Studio monitors are meant for studios and not meant for listening to music at home.

Computer speakers are generally near field speakers meant for listening to music sitting right in front of your computer and near to the speakers.
Computer speakers lack the throw for listening to music away from the speakers, as computer speakers are designed for near field listening, sitting right in front of the computer.

If you listen to music away from the speakers, i.e. say a feet away from the speakers, which is the normal method in hifi setups, or still further away, then you need hifi speakers, whether it be bookshelf or floor standers. With hifi speakers you can listen to music away from the speakers and as well as in a somewhat near field position,
Thanks for the explanation

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back