For the love of The Guitar - Your fav opening & whole song please ...

humblebee

OK its ... Pre-Saturday Night ... and I seem to have caught a fever.
While the guitar songs play endlessly on my system ...
I pose this ques so that all of us may discover even more nice guitar songs.

I'll go first:
Fav Guitar Opening - Metallica - Fade To Black. It has the power to bring me to my knees and make me set my ... tablet on fire ! (I'm no Jimmy Hendrix !)

Fav guitar play in complete song - Van Halen - Eruption - closest thing to my first orgasm. Waves of some needles move from my head to toe for the entire duration of the song.

Due to these special effects (on me) I listen to these songs on limited occasions so that the effect may not be dimmed !!!

Your move passion slave ...

Last edited:
Glad you like it.
For what it is worth, I consider Asturias by John Williams as the reference or benchmark for guitar work. Classical Spanish guitar though. But this guy is a machine - not one key out of place which is an incredible feat considering how complex the piece is.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDAHl54V0CU

Acoustic guitar -

Hindi movies........Neele Neele Ambar Pe from Kalakar

Western........many Marc Antony & Toni Braxton numbers, to name just a few

Cheers

A random few..

[This is one of the greatest guitar oriented songs I've ever heard..There's no live version of this song. The composer got ALS in his early 20s. This is the cover of this song..probably the best cover that exists. He nails it..technically and emotionally.]
Jason Becker - Altitudes (cover)

Van Halen - Spanish Fly

Dream Theater - Hollow Years (Live at Budokan)

Comus - Song to Comus

Testament - Return to Serenity

Steve Vai - For the Love of God (Live)

Jethro Tull- Mother Goose

Death - The Flesh And The Power It Holds

Yes - And You And I

Cynic - Textures

Last edited:
The Wonders - That Thing You Do!

Satisfaction-Rolling Stones

Sorrow - Pink Floyd (specially the piece when David Gilmour opens the guitar up in aftermath of lyrics. ONE WORD........AWESOME

Chehra hai ya Chand - Saagar

Start - Little Wing (Hendrix), Heartbreaker(LZ), Sweet child of mine (GNR) in that order
Whole Song - too many
End - Stariway to Heaven (LZ) and Comfortably Numb (PF). No other comes even close.

Did you say 'For the love of guitar' ?
Billy Gibbon's Gibson Les Paul Standard. Affectionately called "Pearly Gates". Appeared in every song of ZZ top. Turn up the volume and enjoy this. Have a happy weekend. :eek:hyeah:

Checking out these now.
Got little sleep at night and was sleepy whole day.
Wait ... its actually Sat Night now.
Oh well ... who wants to sleep ?
Such a wasteful activity as compared to this treasure hunt !

There are many many legendary guitar solos, openings and closings for me, but I would rank Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child ahead of Fade To Black for an opening.

I've been listening to Heavy Metal (to be precise, Glam Metal and the Big-4 of Thrash) through most part of my adult life.

From my childhood, I remember my first fascination with the electric guitar came when my dad used to play Johnny B. Good by Chuck Berry. What an opening that song had.

My fav glam solo is by George Lynch of Dokken on the track, Walk Away. Dave Gilmour on Comfortably Numb (The P.U.L.S.E version) and High Hopes was tremendous.

I liked Eddie Van Halen's Guitar solo on Hot for Teacher and of course, Slash's solo on Sweet Child of Mine is an all time classic. John Norum was a fantastic guitarist and most of the Europe tracks in the 1980s had his terrific guitar solos.

Here's a compilation which features some of my all time fav guitar solo performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4TJhBshGOw

Last edited:
Nice thread!

Been a guitar fan all my life. Got hooked on to guitar when I first heard the starting solo on Dire Straits 'money for nothing'. The drums at the beginning of that song is also great

Best,
APK.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back