Fostex 208 Sigma Open Baffles ;)

manniraj

A simple DIY open baffles that I made it today using my Fostex 208 sigma drivers brought from a FM couple of years back. I had some left over wood and spent couple of 100s to make them sing :).

No specific dimensions as such just the width of the wardrobe left over door and cut into 2 with the height to accommodate an Eminence Alpha 15" woofer in future ;). Still listening to them makes me feel why people who built open baffles swear by them. The only constraint for now is the room width and layout and especially my 2 yr old son :lol:

Here are some of the pictures.

4gndci.jpg

f2ubth.jpg

s5y2pl.jpg

2enrl3l.jpg

2lnbwk6.jpg

s5i5bs.jpg

73pkk9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Yogibear :)

Rear pictures I haven't taken but its just plain with the angled blocks holding the baffles in a slight backward position as those Fostex drivers are quite heavy. Also I saw some YouTube videos where some of the open baffles are slanted back to get the perfect throw of the sound similar to my Frugal Horns. They have a very lively/airy sound but a little shouty at times if the recording is bad especially new generation bollywood songs (I usually do not listen but my family) but the old songs with the vocals like Ghulam Ali ghazals and Eva Cassidy sound superb. Bass is missed on them but that is a given so need to pair with at least 15" woofers. Overall very happy as I just spent 200/- for the baffle cut outs (old wardrobe doors) and the drivers I already had them. For the first time I got a compliment from my better half that the singers are singing right in front of us :clapping: and this is a revelation with all my builds so far.

My chain includes heavily modded Win2012 R2 fanless PC + Audiophile Optimizer + Foobar+Asio -> Soekris R2R DAC -> BA3 preamp -> Aleph J power amp / AmpCampAmp modified to 6W*2. I am mighty pleased that all this is my own DIY effort including the Mogami interconnect/speaker cables ;)

I have a Pi3 + Allo Piano 2.1 DAC so planning to use my Jamo sub with this combination in 2.1 configuration and see how it turns out.

Good perspective for the Fostex driver. IMO the Fostex is more suitable for an BLH or TL loading due to its low Qtc. OB speakers require high Qtc for giving adequate bass.

Good perspective for the Fostex driver. IMO the Fostex is more suitable for an BLH or TL loading due to its low Qtc. OB speakers require high Qtc for giving adequate bass.

Thanks Hari, yes the original Fostex BLH is the one I am planning to do for these drivers. But just wanted to try out a open baffle and sure they did not disappoint but actually encouraged me to go this route but the space and a small kid stops me to use the open baffles.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back