Frequency Range on Speakers

kamalgaur

#3 - Frequency Range on Speakers

Now my research tells me that speakers should be able to cover the frequency range of 20 Hz to 20000 Hz (20 KHz).
Hence, I'm surprised to see not only floor-standing speakers, but even subwoofers that don't go all the way down to 20 Hz.
Can someone help me understand why it would make sense to buy speakers/subs that don't cover the entire 20 Hz to 20 KHz range?

Last edited:
Hi

Humans can hear supposedly from 20hz till 20khz....

There are speaker brands who claim that the speakers can perform much much more than the stated freq a human being can hear....

Simple logic is to go for speakers which sound good to you in performance, budget and tech specs.....audition with your music as you will be playing your content on it once you purchase it....

Ensure you cover almost all freq within the given spectrum for a good performance.

Can someone help me understand why it would make sense to buy speakers/subs that don't cover the entire 20 Hz to 20 KHz range?
I presume we are talking about stereo system for home use and not multichannel home theater. For speakers that produces 20hz to 20khz with same sound pressure level, linearity and deep extension (20hz) is troublesome to achieve. I guess (I could be wrong) they would require number of different size drivers. Probably 3 to 4. For low frequency we have to move lots of air so we need large cone and high excursion. But then transient response, Linearity, Distortion would be compromised. After that good crossover design is needed. Can't bypass laws of physics. There are some good articles on Lenard Audio Website. Probably more on other website. However there is hardly any music content at 20hz in average music content. We loose high frequency hearing as we age. So my personal best compromise would be 50hz/60 hz to 18khz, linear response, low distortion, two drivers, active system. I am just learning may be speaker experts would chime in.
Regards.

there are a lot of good speakers out there that does cover the entire spectrum and go down to 20hz. but esp entry level speakers dont worry about going so low since theres not much music below 50hz. you will hardly hear much sounds between 20-50hz. not saying it doesnt exist but its minimal. and to achieve going down to 20hz theres a lot more money spent on r&d and the actual driver itself

many hiend standmounters cover from 50hz only because going down more than that will produce boomy bass only.even the floor stnders are the same.only solution is to use a good subwoofer.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back