"Friends" Season DVDs freezing badly

just4kix

I have the entire 10 seasons of the sitcom Friends on DVD. As far I am concerned, this is my prized possesion that I like to watch often - especially if I feel bored or even depressed. To me, each episode of Friends has a feel good factor that I can't easily attribute. Well, there are many who hate the sitcom, but that is a different matter.

Of late, I have found that almost all the 40 discs are stuttering or freezing badly. Some get stuck at the main menu itself and player says invalid disc or ERR. I tried the discs in Sony BDP, Panasonic BDP, Pioneer DVDP, desktop DVD drive, laptop DVD drive, etc. All NADA. I tried cleaning by various methods, plain water, mild soap, alcohol - no luck. The discs themselves show hardly any scratches or smudges. Funnily enough, only the Friends DVDs are giving a problem. My much older DVDs are working fine. The DVD of The Hunt for Red October is badly scratched but works fine.

I like the series so much that I even thought of buying the entire set of blu-ray. But I came to know that the BD set covers broadcast espisodes only while the DVDs contain all the episodes with extended version - each episode is at least 5 minutes longer than the broadcast version of 22 minutes. Hence I gave up on that idea.

I feel very frustrated. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have the entire 10 seasons of the sitcom Friends on DVD. As far I am concerned, this is my prized possesion that I like to watch often - especially if I feel bored or even depressed. To me, each episode of Friends has a feel good factor that I can't easily attribute. Well, there are many who hate the sitcom, but that is a different matter.

Of late, I have found that almost all the 40 discs are stuttering or freezing badly. Some get stuck at the main menu itself and player says invalid disc or ERR. I tried the discs in Sony BDP, Panasonic BDP, Pioneer DVDP, desktop DVD drive, laptop DVD drive, etc. All NADA. I tried cleaning by various methods, plain water, mild soap, alcohol - no luck. The discs themselves show hardly any scratches or smudges. Funnily enough, only the Friends DVDs are giving a problem. My much older DVDs are working fine. The DVD of The Hunt for Red October is badly scratched but works fine.

I like the series so much that I even thought of buying the entire set of blu-ray. But I came to know that the BD set covers broadcast espisodes only while the DVDs contain all the episodes with extended version - each episode is at least 5 minutes longer than the broadcast version of 22 minutes. Hence I gave up on that idea.

That sucks. Here's what I did when I ran into a few problem DVD's that wouldn't play/skipped :

1. Checked whether there were any circumferential (circular) scratches as opposed to radial scratches. The circular ones are very difficult if not impossible for error correction to overcome whereas the radial scratches are easily corrected for.

2. Verified whether the DVD's play on a PC / some one else's BD/DVDP? Also checked if ISO rips of the DVD's play on a PC.

3. Tried ripping the problem DVD's as ISO and burning them to a DVD-R (not RW) and then attempted to play the burnt DVD.

Failing everything else and with a working ISO/rip, I just mounted the ISO's as a virtual drive and streamed via DLNA or streamed the ripped folder via DLNA.

Thank you.

I am unable to rip the DVDs now and create ISO. As I said, the DVDs freeze on the PC also. Almost all DVDs freeze at the half way mark. This tells me that laser is unable to do a layer change read. DVDs have started freezing/stuttering progressively. Earlier only a couple or more were problematic - now almost all are. I have almost given up all hope. Maybe some months later, I will buy the entire set again (DVD). Amazon has come up with two seasons in one pack (4 discs per season, 8 discs per pack) for $19.99. My original purchases costed me $34.99 + US Sales Tax per season.

If I buy the package again, the first thing I will do is to rip the DVDs to a hard-disk.

Why don't you try to make MKV files from DVDs instead of creating ISO...and then you can play those MKVs from a hard drive or USB connected to your player.
Just try if it works... creating ISO is again like copying the entire disc as it is, along with the boot code, but MKV would skip this portion and rest everything will be retained without any quality loss.

@manzb, the DVDs have to be read in the reader first ... as I said in the first post, the discs are failing in computer drives also.

I hope, and sure, WB again release FRIENDS bluray extended version in near future to make further money. So it is better wait instead of buying DVDs again. just my 2cents.

And I find buying dvd/bd, then spending time in doing mkv/iso yourself is meaningless. :)

I hope, and sure, WB again release FRIENDS bluray extended version in near future to make further money. So it is better wait instead of buying DVDs again. just my 2cents.

And I find buying dvd/bd, then spending time in doing mkv/iso yourself is meaningless. :)
From what I read all over the internet, Warner Bros. say that the blu-ray release of Friends was created from the 35mm film. The 35mm footage contained the original broadcast release. The extended shots were added from the digital camera version which was primarily in SD at that time. Remember that the last episode of Friends was broadcast in June 2004 and there was no HD then. Anyway. As per Warner, they are unable to remaster and upconvert the camera content (extra footage) to 1080p. Since they did not wish to downgrade the blu-ray content to 98% 1080p and 2% upconverted, they chose to stick to broadcast version only for the BD release. It is fairly unlikely that the extended version will see the light of the day. :(

I feel that the excuse is very lame as many old TV serials were release in true HD. Paramount faced a lot of problem with Star Trek - The Next Generation but they managed the BD release finally. But we are digressing from the main topic. :)

If it's the layer change that's the problem, don't know if the software listed below will help. On the other hand if it's just some areas of the DVD gone bad you could try, if you haven't already, some of these utilities on the PC to see if they are able to skip past the problem areas and extract the data to the extent possible.

Download Bad CD / DVD Reader
Abyssal Recovery Free Download
CD/DVD recovery software - Zip Recovery Toolbox - freeware
Tolerant-Copier Freeware: fehlerhafte Dateien kopieren
Roadkil.Net - Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier Program Download

From what I read all over the internet, Warner Bros. say that the blu-ray release of Friends was created from the 35mm film. The 35mm footage contained the original broadcast release. The extended shots were added from the digital camera version which was primarily in SD at that time. Remember that the last episode of Friends was broadcast in June 2004 and there was no HD then. Anyway. As per Warner, they are unable to remaster and upconvert the camera content (extra footage) to 1080p. Since they did not wish to downgrade the blu-ray content to 98% 1080p and 2% upconverted, they chose to stick to broadcast version only for the BD release. It is fairly unlikely that the extended version will see the light of the day. :(

I feel that the excuse is very lame as many old TV serials were release in true HD. Paramount faced a lot of problem with Star Trek - The Next Generation but they managed the BD release finally. But we are digressing from the main topic. :)
oh :( I was just anticipating as they used to do these practices, exmpl- harry potter

Then I guess only choice remained to buy DVDs again and or rip them/copy to platinum disc of moserbaer and keep original ones intact.

If it's the layer change that's the problem, don't know if the software listed below will help. On the other hand if it's just some areas of the DVD gone bad you could try, if you haven't already, some of these utilities on the PC to see if they are able to skip past the problem areas and extract the data to the extent possible.

Download Bad CD / DVD Reader
Abyssal Recovery Free Download
CD/DVD recovery software - Zip Recovery Toolbox - freeware
Tolerant-Copier Freeware: fehlerhafte Dateien kopieren
Roadkil.Net - Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier Program Download
There is a two fold problem. Some discs are unreadable and then they are also copy protected. So raw read and blind copy method does not seem to work. I even thought of downloading - considering that I have already purchased the originals, I thought that download for me is OK as I am not really pirating (???). But it seems that the available material is XVid/AVI format (about 275 mb per episode) and I don't want that.

So I have decided to buy again. Luckily the price is much reduced now. Two seasons in one box (4 discs per season, 8 discs per box) is available at $19.99.

There is a two fold problem. Some discs are unreadable and then they are also copy protected. So raw read and blind copy method does not seem to work. I even thought of downloading - considering that I have already purchased the originals, I thought that download for me is OK as I am not really pirating (???). But it seems that the available material is XVid/AVI format (about 275 mb per episode) and I don't want that.

So I have decided to buy again. Luckily the price is much reduced now. Two seasons in one box (4 discs per season, 8 discs per box) is available at $19.99.

I think considering the trouble you got despite purchasing the show on DVD, you should now watch Friends in HD without paying again.
Just like many others, I too have a self philosophy that I pay for the content which I like. I won't buy a movie or show until I convince myself that it's worth paying from my end.
Don't worry, it's not a sin to download such old TV shows as the makers and studios have already earned a lot. You're just making the show and makers popular by watching their old content once again.

I just sent you a PM, check that and after a little effort and patience, you will get Friends in HD with DD-5.1 sound.

Last edited:
There is a two fold problem. Some discs are unreadable and then they are also copy protected. So raw read and blind copy method does not seem to work.

You are right about that. The utilities I linked earlier will choke on the DRM if present on video DVD's. They work with data DVD's or non-DRM'd video DVD's although that is not what you need.

There still might be a way to get at DRM'd damaged DVD's. See post 1, 2, 5 on this thread from another forum for freeware that just might be worth a try:

tip... How to rip a partly-damaged movie DVD

A bunch more search results from videohelp.com if you've got the time:

copying a damaged dvd site:forum.videohelp.com - Google Search

So, I decided to buy the discs again. I found that on Amazon.in, each season was available for Rs. 1065 + a gift of coffee mug with "Friends" logo inscribed. I thought the price was OK and went ahead to order two seasons (1 & 2). The package (sold by Pritam music) arrived well in time and all that.

Unfortunately ...

1. The US version of the season set is on 4 DVDs with 6 episodes on each disc + extra featurettes, etc. The Indian version is 6 DVDs with 4 episodes on each disc, no extras.
  2. The US DVDs are all with extended footage. I could not confirm this with the Indian version. It was not written anywhere. I believe that Indian version is standard broadcast version because the as with the broadcast the title song is more fast paced than the original.
  3. The quality of transfer is EXTREMELY POOR. I could see pixels sitting 10 feet away. Going close to the TV, there was huge pixellation all around.
  4. Indian version had gaudy/over saturated colours.
  5. 4 episodes per disc (and probably non-extended ones) means that disc was not even dual layer/8.5 GB.
  6. Overall, I was totally unsatisfied with the quality.

I returned the package back to Amazon (along with the free coffee mugs). Let me see, how long it takes for the refund to be processed.

^ it's a horror. that's why i can't dare to buy from india. neither have courage to order from amazon.com for the $ rate.

FRIENDS all the seasons are available for 5999/- at Snapdeal

Friends: The Complete Series Collection (English)[DVD] - Buy TV Shows @ Snapdeal.com

Otherwise each season are being sold at 779/- except for season 6,9 & 10 which are priced at 909. I think it is a good price if you have already decided to buy the series again.

Another option to get the entire series from Ebay-US at $80 including shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Friends-The...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item338480cc2c

There is an additional option to buy the entire series from a China supplier for $60 including shipping to India

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRIENDS-The...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac7f31f0c

Last edited:
FRIENDS all the seasons are available for 5999/- at Snapdeal

Friends: The Complete Series Collection (English)[DVD] - Buy TV Shows @ Snapdeal.com

Otherwise each season are being sold at 779/- except for season 6,9 & 10 which are priced at 909. I think it is a good price if you have already decided to buy the series again.
As I mentioned, I am not trusting the quality of Indian version. So Snapdeal is off. Price is one consideration but higher consideration is to quality. The Indian version quality was so bad that 700 MB XVid look better.

Another option to get the entire series from Ebay-US at $80 including shipping

Friends The Complete Series Collection DVD 2006 40 Disc Set 012569832688 | eBay
The discs of seasons 3, 7, 8, 9, 10 and intact. I have ripped them to HDD just in case the original discs go bad. So I don't need those seasons. Amazon.com has two seasons in one pack for $19.99 ... this with free shipping over $125 may work out cheaper...

Amazon.com: Friends: The Complete First & Second Seasons: Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer: Movies & TV
Amazon.com: Friends: The Complete Third & Fourth Seasons: Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer: Movies & TV
Amazon.com: Friends: The Complete Fifth & Sixth Seasons: Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer: Movies & TV

There is an additional option to buy the entire series from a China supplier for $60 including shipping to India

Friends The Complete Series Collection 1 10 on DVD Season 1 10 | eBay
Don't know how good is the Chinese option.

Last edited:
It seems Warner / New Line / HBO DVDs manufactured between the years of August 15, 2006 and May 13, 2008 have a high failure rate (it mostly affects multi disc sets and box sets with dual layer discs) as the discs slowly rot due to manufacturing defects at a plant in Olyphant, Pennsylvania with the code stamp IFPI facility codes 2U** around the center hole. It starts with discs freezing at the layer change before eventually rendering the the entire disc unplayable. Here is a thread detailing the issue: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ad-watch-to-make-sure-they-still-play.351260/

I've bought the whole collection twice now and one is brand new and won't play some, both have came from Walmart, and can't find and recommendations for a better quality set elsewhere

Having the same problem changed players bought a second set and still doing it very disappointed and have wasted a fair amount of time and money on this, stop buying it through Walmart
I guess

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back