From my current setup, what could be the next upgrade under 50 to 70k??

Naveenbnc

Hello All, I am asking this question for learning purpose, and to know what other options are out there.

I have nearly made up my mind to upgrade to 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos and DtsX. Budget is 50 to 70k. But I will take a few months time to study properly and go for it.

Now the question is,
Going for Dolby atmos is one route.
Apart from that, what other upgrade ideas are there in a budget of 50 to 70k??

My current setup is as follows:
yamaha yht196 AVR+Taga tav606SE 5.0+One Active sub.
(I have extra 4 satellite speakers and 1Centre speaker from Yht196 unused now)

Please give suggestion on different upgrade ideas. It helps me and others who are looking for upgrade from their setups like yht196 etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Only if you play atmos supported videos, it will be useful.

Atmos is only available on bluray dvds . Your tv set top box wont support atmos.

Atmos is useful only if you purchase a bluray dvd player and will buy use bluray dvds

Highly unlikely you can do atmos with that budget since you need a new avr as well. Atmos speakers are overpriced in india I feel. There are up firing speakers and ceiling mount ones. Ceiling mounts are the only ones that work according to audioholics.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

For Atmos.. you will need an Atmos compatible avr.. that will cost around 50k.
You will need a blueray player. Again this will cost around 10K.
Blueray Disk to play Atmos content will be an ongoing investment and then Atmos speakers.. options are
1. Buy upfiring Dolby enable speakers
2. You can use your existing speakers and see how they sound
3. Ceiling speakers : will only be feasible if you have a dedicated media room

Even after having an Atmos setup, you can play non Atmos content and avrs do a descent job in upmixing the usual content to Atmos ,by using Dolby surround sound mode in the avr.

Upfiring speakers also work perfectly if they are setup correctly.. I am using upfiring Atmos speakers in my Atmos setup and pretty satisfied with it..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi pjgowtham and harpreetz,

Thankyou verymuch for the valuable suggestions. Earlier i did not focus on limitations in atmos setup. Thankyou for warning me.

The budget 50-70k i said is for avr alone.

How ever, my dout was,... if we forget about atmos, what "other" upgrade ideas can be done to my current setup in 50-70k

Regards,
Naveen

Why can't you try a good stereo amp and see the how those floor stands are working, if you are interested in spending time on listening to stereo.
I feel it is a good upgrade.
When I had entry level denon1610 with wharfedale floor stands, the sound was thin. Then I have connected these speakers with my friends entry-level Marantz pm5004 and the sound was quite authentic. Everything got changed.
So in my opinion you can give a chance to good used or new integrated amp and feel the difference.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Sree.... this is surely worth a try !!!:)
For a change, apart from branded ones....
I am getting a DIY 250W sterio amp made by our group member Aniket.
He is very helpfull. I am eagerly waiting for it :eek:hyeah:

Good call. I hope great listening experience a head. Meanwhile think about to get a good source as well.
Look at the used CD or Blu-ray player(pioneer , Marantz... )

Avoid going with the commercial ones which are available at less than 10k range.(Sony, LG, Samsung ....)

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

BRAT88..
this vsx832 is quite intresting. They say that 3.1.2 is "virtually" expanded to 5.1.2 to create virtual surround field.

I have no clue how effective or realistic this will be...particularly without surround speakers. But if it really works, its a great idea in a budget.

Has any one used this avr??? How is its atmos performance???

Vsx 932 on the other hand is 7.2 with 5.1 atmos. You can even do vertical bi amping on that I think?

BRAT88..
this vsx832 is quite intresting. They say that 3.1.2 is "virtually" expanded to 5.1.2 to create virtual surround field.

I have no clue how effective or realistic this will be...particularly without surround speakers. But if it really works, its a great idea in a budget.

Has any one used this avr??? How is its atmos performance???

In my own experience, Pioneer's "Extended Stereo" feature wherein it extrapolates the 2.1 to 5.1 or 5.1 to 7.1 giving relevant frequency signals to the corresponding speakers if one of the Best. Gives a thrilling experience at times even if the source content is not sensu stricto in higher sound formats.

gowtham & pranjandas, thank you very much for the inputs...
VSX832 is in ebay...may be they will charge import duty.
VSX932 is in Hifimart with 21% off on the price...

I wouldn't keep my hopes on virtual sounds. Virtual surrounds are usually not very pleasing.

BTW Netflix 4 screen Ultra plan gives audio in Dolby Atmos. So content is not an issue as long as you are willing to pay 850 a month. Do note that not all content will have atmos.

BTW Netflix 4 screen Ultra plan gives audio in Dolby Atmos. So content is not an issue as long as you are willing to pay 850 a month. Do note that not all content will have atmos.
Very selective titles, not all

I wouldn't keep my hopes on virtual sounds. Virtual surrounds are usually not very pleasing.

Hmm... that's something to be taught about... And I am guessing virtual sounds also depend on room size, shape etc..
But if I go for atmos, I will go with speakers only. I wont go with virtual idea..

I have a full 7.2 set up, the maximum my Pioneer VSX 1131 can support--FL, FR, C, SL, SR, BSL, BSR, HL, HR (9 Speakers in total) + 2 Subwoofer, HL & HR configured in the middle of the ceiling, Back surrounds in the rear ceiling positions.

When the source is Dolby Atmos/DTS-X, the discreet object based sound formats, the surround effect is natural. For example suppose a scene where a helicopter is flying it appears as if the helicopter is hovering overhead. There is no virtual sound.

Now when the source is just a 5.1 DD, the Extended Stereo besides playing the standard 5.1 surround sound, also sends surround signals to Middle height speakers and back surrounds. Complimenting each other, the overall surround effect is more satisfactory than a simple 5.1 surround effect. There is no virtual sound.

Back