Front Floorstanding speakers for Denon X1400H AVR?

swamytk

I am planning to add audio system to my Sony 55" LED TV. My objective is to build 3.1 over the period of time, starting with 2.0 now (no plan on 5.X/7.X for a rented house). Music & Movies are 50% each to stream through Nvidia shield. Hall size is 21' x 12'. Listening distance is 10'.

For future proof I consider 7.2 too if it comes at good price. I don't want to spend above Sub 30K for AVR. So I have narrowed down to Denon X1400H AVR which is available and affordable for me now. Another standby option is Marantz NR1509 which is cheaper than Denon (5.2 ch & a little lesser power than Denon).

With the budget of 25K to 35K for floor standing Front speaker pair, which one would you suggest? Definitely I don't want to go beyond 35K budget. I request you to suggest something available online. I am not a audiophile, I don't want to go out for demo now :) After using PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale 220 + Yamaha YST-315 Sub for a simple projector system, family is addicted to Audio nuances :D :cool: . So I am in bad need of this audio system for TV in this quarantine period. Kids/Wife don't prefer bookshelf in Hall, so strictly Floor standing only. Only new speakers, no plan to buy used one.

A few identified with online listed price:
1. Pioneer SP-FS52 - htstore - 29K, jamsticks - 34K
2. Wharfedale D330 - hifimart - 37K
3. Polk T50 - avstore 22.5K
4. NOT AVAILABLE - Onkyo SKF 4800
5. NO STOCK - Boston Acoustics A250 - hifimart 29K
6. NO STOCK - Mission MX3 - ooberpad 31K

Please add your suggestion.

Last edited:
I am researching for my IA+Speaker also. My shorlist includes Polk T50/Tannoy Eclipse. But I also saw very good reviews about Fyne Audio F302. Just thought of sharing this with you.
Also, I would love to know your experience with 5005+ BS. I am on quest to build my first HiFi system(IA+BS/FS)
ps- I have zero HiFi experience.

I am planning to add audio system to my Sony 55" LED TV. My objective is to build 3.1 over the period of time, starting with 2.0 now (no plan on 5.X/7.X for a rented house). Music & Movies are 50% each to stream through Nvidia shield. Hall size is 21' x 12'. Listening distance is 10'.

For future proof I consider 7.2 too if it comes at good price. I don't want to spend above Sub 30K for AVR. So I have narrowed down to Denon X1400H AVR which is available and affordable for me now. Another standby option is Marantz NR1509 which is cheaper than Denon (5.2 ch & a little lesser power than Denon).

With the budget of 25K to 35K for floor standing Front speaker pair, which one would you suggest? Definitely I don't want to go beyond 35K budget. I request you to suggest something available online. I am not a audiophile, I don't want to go out for demo now :) After using PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale 220 + Yamaha YST-315 Sub for a simple projector system, family is addicted to Audio nuances :D :cool: . So I am in bad need of this audio system for TV in this quarantine period. Kids/Wife don't prefer bookshelf in Hall, so strictly Floor standing only. Only new speakers, no plan to buy used one.

Of the 6, the Pioneer will sound neutral with limited Bass.
The Polk T50 surprised me when I heard them both in the showroom and my house. These speakers have one Tweeter and a Woofer. The remaining 2 woofers are passive radiators. These speakers are also neutral with decent bass, but wont play very low.
The Onkyo speakers will play loud with lot of bass.
The Bostons (based on my experience with the Bookshelf model A26) They have rolled off highs with good bass.

If Bass is not your concern and you prefer neutral speakers then Pioneer and Polk are your best bet. If you want a jack of both worlds then the Boston it is and If you prefer bass heavy speakers the go for the Onkyo.

Hope you have considered Sonodyne FS. Taga and Polk would also be a good choice on a budget. Wonder if the top end is going to be too hot with Denon and Polk though.

I am researching for my IA+Speaker also. My shorlist includes Polk T50/Tannoy Eclipse. But I also saw very good reviews about Fyne Audio F302. Just thought of sharing this with you.
Also, I would love to know your experience with 5005+ BS. I am on quest to build my first HiFi system(IA+BS/FS)
The highs are a touch hot on the fyne audio. Not in an overpowering way though. IMHO.

I am using PM5005 with Wharfedale Diamond 220 for last one year. It is damn good. All bands are good, bass is damn good for Music. I have added an Yamaha Sub YST-315 to watch movies with a projector.

It looks like I have a plan-B to move this Wharfedale 220 speaker to new AVR. The PM5005 does not give enough juice to fully utilize this damn good speaker.

Check out Tannoy Eclipse 2. I think it is available for great price and available at much lower to your budget. I have not auditioned it but in general Tannoy is very airy speakers with open highs and good bass in short very expressive. Perhaps find some reviews online or in youtube.

You may also consider Fyne Audio F302 - 37k (reach out to the admin at Hifimart for a discount. They will give you one than the price shown on the website)

Sonus 3155 - 41k.
Sonus 3165 - 55k.

Please note that the prices mentioned above are MRPs. You will surely get at least 20% discount. Maybe more.

Dropped floor standing requirement since planning to add Sub woofer soon. I have narrowed down to Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 Bookshelf and center C5.2. How it matches with Denon x1400H? @MaSh @liverpool_for_life

I have never used AVR. So I have a basic question. It is my understanding that AVR can be configured that it is connected with only 3.0 speakers. In the manual I see various 5.X and 7.X configurations only. Can we configure the system as 3.0 before running calibration?

Back