Front On Wall Speakers

amahajan08

Hi,

Looking to set up my HT, 5.1.2.
Due to space constraints, I've had to reconsider replacing towers to On-wall for my front speakers. I had zeroed in on Dali Oberon 7s but have to cancel them due to some space issue. So given these towers without compromising much on sound quality which one would you guys recommend?

My options:
- Dali Opticon On Wall - They are steep, are they worth the price?
- DLS Flatbox - They come in two sizes: Large and XL and also have M series but not seen many reviews online or here but whatever I have read its good.
- Martin Logan Motion SLM On Wall Speaker
- KEF T301
- Monitor Audio Radius 225
- Definitive Technology Mythos XTR

I would love to hear from you guys on these. Or any other speakers that you'd like to recommend.

Other details of my set up are:
Surrounds: Dali Oberon On Walls
Center: DLS flatbox (if I go with DLS because you can use the speaker as a center) OR Dali Oberon Center
Atmos: Dali Alteco OR Polk RC60i
Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW610 OR Velodyne Impact 12
AVR: Denon AVR-X 3500 OR 3600
My seating position is approx 15 feet from the tv wall and its 11 feet wide

Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon!

Regards,
Anubhav

Hi Anubhav,

I have not heard the Dali Oberon on wall. But what if you have the Oberon 3 for fronts as wall mounted(you get good mounts on Amazon), Oberon Vokal for center & Oberon 1's as surrounds. I have the Oberon 1's for the fronts & surrounds & Vokal for center. They are nice sounding for their size but I don't mind experimenting with the Oberon 3's with their bigger 7 inch driver for the fronts. My seating is at approx 13ft length (Mlp), 11 ft height & width which is quite similar to yours..
If I am not mistaken the drivers & wattage of the Oberon on wall & Oberon 1 are the same with different cabinet sizes. The On wall may be more expensive than the Oberon 1 though.
For the atmos & the other speaker brands, FM's can chip in with their suggestions.

Regards,
Nitin

What is the depth of the on-wall speaker acceptable.
Many brands are having wall mountable bookshelf speakers, depth will be more compared to slim models.

If depth is not a problem, I recommend XTZ Cinema M6

If only slim models are acceptable, you can consider XTZ Spirit 2 and 95.22
You may also have a look at Sonodyne IWO Series

For Ceiling you can consider Polk RC80i or RC85i. Also have a look at Monoprice ceiling speakers, they have many models. Sonodyne 3380 ceiling also can be considered.

Velodyne is no more, you can consider SVS Sub or XTZ Sub or REL Sub. Have a look at PB2000 Pro of XTZ 12.17 Edge

Try to have Front Left/Right/Center from same brand/series. Preferably surrounds as well.

If depth is not a problem, suggest do an audition of Polk Rti A1s. I have thme wall mounted, and very happy with the sound quality.

Hi Anubhav,

I have not heard the Dali Oberon on wall. But what if you have the Oberon 3 for fronts as wall-mounted(you get good mounts on Amazon), Oberon Vokal for center & Oberon 1's as surrounds. I have the Oberon 1's for the fronts & surrounds & Vokal for center. They are nice sounding for their size but I don't mind experimenting with the Oberon 3's with their bigger 7-inch driver for the fronts. My seating is at approx 13ft length (Mlp), 11 ft height & width which is quite similar to yours..
If I am not mistaken the drivers & wattage of the Oberon on wall & Oberon 1 are the same with different cabinet sizes. The On wall may be more expensive than the Oberon 1 though.
For the atmos & the other speaker brands, FM's can chip in with their suggestions.

Regards,
Nitin

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for writing in.
Actually my seller did recommend me the set up with Oberon 3 as fronts but given the overall look of the On walls vs Bookshelf speakers, I was more inclined to buy something slimmer and appealing to look at. And you're correct Oberon 1 and On-wall are similar but given the slim profiles of the On walls, I'm leaning towards them. Attaching the image of the tv unit that I'm installing, perhaps would make it clear why I'm going for slimmer profile speakers.

If depth is not a problem, suggest do an audition of Polk Rti A1s. I have the wall-mounted, and very happy with the sound quality.

Hey Argho,

It kind of is. I have approx 5 inches. Attaching the image of the tv unit that I'm installing, the overhead cabinet above the tv has a 6-inch depth. Physically the speakers CAN protrude more than 6 inches but it would not look nice for on-wall speakers. If they were towers then that was a different thing, but since I have drawers at the bottom I can't place the towers on them coz they will be 1 ft from the floor hence will impact the listening experience if placed at that height, hence had to shift to On-walls.

Attachments

• Tv unit.JPG
    Tv unit.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 74
What is the depth of the on-wall speaker acceptable.
Many brands are having wall mountable bookshelf speakers, depth will be more compared to slim models.

If depth is not a problem, I recommend XTZ Cinema M6

If only slim models are acceptable, you can consider XTZ Spirit 2 and 95.22
You may also have a look at Sonodyne IWO Series

For Ceiling you can consider Polk RC80i or RC85i. Also have a look at Monoprice ceiling speakers, they have many models. Sonodyne 3380 ceiling also can be considered.

Velodyne is no more, you can consider SVS Sub or XTZ Sub or REL Sub. Have a look at PB2000 Pro of XTZ 12.17 Edge

Try to have Front Left/Right/Center from same brand/series. Preferably surrounds as well.
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response and for taking the time out to send these recommendations.

Cant have depth more than 4.5 - 5 inches. Attaching an image of the tv unit I'm getting, the speakers will be mounted on either side of the tv. The overhead cabinet above the tv has a 6-inch depth. Physically the speakers CAN protrude more than 6 inches but it would not look nice for on-wall speakers. For ceiling speakers also, cant have more than 6.5" in diameter, hence the consideration for Dali Alteco speakers that can be mounted on the wall, there is SVS prime elevation too that is has a similar shape like the Altecos but I think I dont need such powerful speakers for Atoms.

Rest, I'll check the other speakers you've mentioned. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• Tv unit.JPG
    Tv unit.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 16
Hi did u audition the JamoD500 LCR.
Am using them,they protrude 3.5 inches frm the wall and r thx select spec.

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for writing in.
Actually my seller did recommend me the set up with Oberon 3 as fronts but given the overall look of the On walls vs Bookshelf speakers, I was more inclined to buy something slimmer and appealing to look at. And you're correct Oberon 1 and On-wall are similar but given the slim profiles of the On walls, I'm leaning towards them. Attaching the image of the tv unit that I'm installing, perhaps would make it clear why I'm going for slimmer profile speakers.

Hi Anubhav,

You are most welcome. The Oberon 3's will definitely have a much bigger & powerful sound as compared to the On Wall & the Oberon 1. But since depth of the speakers are an issue then I guess On wall may look good. But I would suggest hearing the On wall vs Oberon 1 as the oberon 1's are also very compact. You can also check the On wall reviews in Amazon if there are happy customers.
As HTuser has mentioned, the XTZ's are also very good. Pls hear them if there is a dealer in Delhi.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Hi Anubhav,

You are most welcome. The Oberon 3's will definitely have a much bigger & powerful sound as compared to the On Wall & the Oberon 1. But since depth of the speakers are an issue then I guess On wall may look good. But I would suggest hearing the On wall vs Oberon 1 as the oberon 1's are also very compact. You can also check the On wall reviews in Amazon if there are happy customers.
As HTuser has mentioned, the XTZ's are also very good. Pls hear them if there is a dealer in Delhi.

Regards,
Nitin
Sure! Once the lockdown eases there's plenty I need to listen to!

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your inputs.

Although my heart belonged to Dali to begin with, I decided to audition the XTZs. Although I didn’t get to hear the Spirit series that I’ve decided to go for but read rave reviews about them. I’ve come to know they are more musical than the 99 series.
And for me music:movies :: 30%:70% hence going with the Spirits. I could only listen to XTZ’s 95.44 towers and the 95.24 bookshelves. Also got test the mighty 12.17edge subwoofer and man was that impressive!!
The Opticon On-walls were my only options for Dali and they were pushing my budget out of the park so to say. I researched a lot and everywhere I read only good things about the XTZs when they were pitched in front of Dalis.
Hence, after a lot of contemplation, I decided to take the plunge and go for the following:

Spirit 2 - Rear surrounds
Spirit 6 - Front LR
Spirit 8 - Center
XTZ 12.17 edge - Subwoofer

I’m thinking of taking the Marantz SR5014 for them.
Your thoughts, if I were to add like Atmos later? Would the 5014 work or should I get something more powerful?

XTZ speakers and subwoofers are good.

I believe Spirit 6 is Center speaker (not suitable as Front LR).
You may consider Spirit 11 Towers for Front.

I would suggest Marantz 6014 AV Receiver, it is 9.2 and capable of processing 11.2. With external stereo amp you can make a 11.2 setup (like 7.2.4) in future. Some of the other additional benefits in 6014 are
IMAX Enhanced Support
Gold Plated Terminals
Clock Jitter reducer
MultEQ XT32 (5014 got MultiEQ XT only)
HDMI Out for Zone 2
Subwoofer Outputs are independent, helps in subwoofer calibration

Hence if possible proceed for 6014

You may think of adding a powerful Amp like XPA3 for the Left, Center, Right speakers
or
ICEPowered XTZ Edge A2-300 Amp for Left/Right - This is a very good stereo Amp. 150W RMS

XTZ speakers and subwoofers are good.

I believe Spirit 6 is Center speaker (not suitable as Front LR).
You may consider Spirit 11 Towers for Front.

I would suggest Marantz 6014 AV Receiver, it is 9.2 and capable of processing 11.2. With external stereo amp you can make a 11.2 setup (like 7.2.4) in future. Some of the other additional benefits in 6014 are
IMAX Enhanced Support
Gold Plated Terminals
Clock Jitter reducer
MultEQ XT32 (5014 got MultiEQ XT only)
HDMI Out for Zone 2
Subwoofer Outputs are independent, helps in subwoofer calibration

Hence if possible proceed for 6014

You may think of adding a powerful Amp like XPA3 for the Left, Center, Right speakers
or
ICEPowered XTZ Edge A2-300 Amp for Left/Right - This is a very good stereo Amp. 150W RMS
thanks for the advice!!

I’ll look into the 6014. Also, I checked with the AD, the spirit 6 can be used as an LCR. They are only 5.6 inches in depth and hence their small profile is ideal for wall placement.
Also, my concerns were around the reflection from my tv unit back and counter top. They are made of stone if you see in the picture I shared earlier. Would that be a problem?

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your inputs.

Although my heart belonged to Dali to begin with, I decided to audition the XTZs. Although I didn’t get to hear the Spirit series that I’ve decided to go for but read rave reviews about them. I’ve come to know they are more musical than the 99 series.
And for me music:movies :: 30%:70% hence going with the Spirits. I could only listen to XTZ’s 95.44 towers and the 95.24 bookshelves. Also got test the mighty 12.17edge subwoofer and man was that impressive!!
The Opticon On-walls were my only options for Dali and they were pushing my budget out of the park so to say. I researched a lot and everywhere I read only good things about the XTZs when they were pitched in front of Dalis.
Hence, after a lot of contemplation, I decided to take the plunge and go for the following:

Spirit 2 - Rear surrounds
Spirit 6 - Front LR
Spirit 8 - Center
XTZ 12.17 edge - Subwoofer

I’m thinking of taking the Marantz SR5014 for them.
Your thoughts, if I were to add like Atmos later? Would the 5014 work or should I get something more powerful?
Xtz is an excellent choice. They are excellent VFM products and will perform equally good to some speakers that cost way more expensive. Why not go for matching LCR? The spirit 8 center is actually a LCR and can be wall mounted.

I would’ve loved to have the spirit 8 as the LCR but they are like 12 inches in depth. I wanted slightly slim speakers to match the overall aesthetics of the tv unit hence decided on the 6. Since my seating position would be approx 15 feet from the tv unit (image attached)
I thought I’ll take a more powerful center channel for the throw and place it horizontal on the counter. (Image attached)

Also I checked on different forum about a user who set up a spirit 6 LCR and loving it. He chose it over Dalis and didn’t regret it. (Image attached)

Attachments

• C2B654F0-E8F2-40C8-8642-ED8B8B9B3CCC.jpeg
    C2B654F0-E8F2-40C8-8642-ED8B8B9B3CCC.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 42
  • CAA59A48-716D-4AC5-8EE5-23A8C23E928A.jpeg
    CAA59A48-716D-4AC5-8EE5-23A8C23E928A.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 53
  • F6410D29-3426-4D49-BC22-3E49F257C7F3.jpeg
    F6410D29-3426-4D49-BC22-3E49F257C7F3.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 54
I would’ve loved to have the spirit 8 as the LCR but they are like 12 inches in depth. I wanted slightly slim speakers to match the overall aesthetics of the tv unit hence decided on the 6. Since my seating position would be approx 15 feet from the tv unit (image attached)
I thought I’ll take a more powerful center channel for the throw and place it horizontal on the counter. (Image attached)

Also I checked on different forum about a user who set up a spirit 6 LCR and loving it. He chose it over Dalis and didn’t regret it. (Image attached)
Ok if you have decided fine go ahead. Have you auditioned the spirit 6? And also in the 3rd image are all the speakers spirit 6?

Ok if you have decided fine go ahead. Have you auditioned the spirit 6? And also in the 3rd image are all the speakers spirit 6?

Yes sir. They are all Spirit 6.
And I’ve heard the spirit 6 but only as a center. :(
I’ve also written to XTZ to see what they have to suggest on using the spirit 6s as LR channels.

Yes sir. They are all Spirit 6.
And I’ve heard the spirit 6 but only as a center. :(
Ok that is enough for u to judge if it can be good enough. Personally i am a huge fan of xtz. Quality brand and quality performance. One thing to consider is your seating distance which is quite long so hope you checked the spirit 6 at that distance. When speakers are close you don’t need much power but to produce the same amount of SPL just a feet away it needs almost twice the power. Sensitivity rating is at 86 dB Which is ok.

thanks for the advice!!

I’ll look into the 6014. Also, I checked with the AD, the spirit 6 can be used as an LCR. They are only 5.6 inches in depth and hence their small profile is ideal for wall placement.
Also, my concerns were around the reflection from my tv unit back and counter top. They are made of stone if you see in the picture I shared earlier. Would that be a problem?

ok.

Spirit 6 can be mounted vertically as well. Since it is slim model, will fit well for your requirement.

Try to avoid mounting L/R close to the TV unit horizontal plane, if it is close there will be reflection from there.

The Center Spirit 8 you can keep close to the edge of the table so that there won't be reflection for that as well.

You need not consider XPA3 for Spirit 6, since the RMS wattage max is 125W. Possibly you can add XTZ Edge A2-300.
You can start with Marantz 6014 AVR, can add the Amp later (if you feel there is a need)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back