Full HD, 3D 40 to 43 inch Plasma TV

himanshurajan

Hello Members,

I am new to this forum. I am planning to purchase a PLASMA tv only. My requirements are as below:

1. Full HD
2. 3d TV
3. The space is kind of a constraint so I am looking for TV from 40 to 43 inches size.
4. It will be great if it has SMART features. (Not Mandatory).

I have looked for many models but have found Panasonic is the best. I do have narrowed few.

1. P42ST30D: With Neoplasma panel the picture quality is amazing. The dealer in Ahmedabad is offering at Rs. 60000 (With 2 3d glasses) and for Rs. 50000 without glasses.

2. P42UT50D: This doesn't have neoplasma panel but has other great features. The price quoted by dealer is Rs. 62000 with 2 3d glasses.

I really need help of owners of the TV and also the experienced members of this forum.

I am open about other brand plasma also. I will need help in deciding on one plasma. My budget is not much but at max I can stretch till Rs. 75000.

Looking forward for your views.

Regards,
Himanshu Rajan

I just purchased LG 42PA520. So i don't have any reviews on it yet:)
But it is semi hd, no 3D, no smart (out of your scope:lol:)

Check, if you can get 42UT30D (i got a quote of 50K with 2 3D glasses, 1 rice cooker worth 2k), it suits your requirement.

As budget permits then better to go for 42ST50D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

No my budget is not that much to go for 42ST50D. Now, I am really confused which one to choose.

P42ST30D
P42UT30D
P42UT50D.

Is neo plasma panel make a much difference in viewing experience?

Please guys help.

Thanks in advance.

No my budget is not that much to go for 42ST50D. Now, I am really confused which one to choose.

P42ST30D
P42UT30D
P42UT50D.

Is neo plasma panel make a much difference in viewing experience?

Please guys help.

Thanks in advance.

Very tough choice between P42ST30D vs P42UT50D. Both should perform more or less the same from layman's point of view. Though I do not have any real chance of comparing them side-by-side, I will prefer P42UT50D for these theoretical reasons (I stress - only on theory).

1. Panasonic re-designed their 2012 Plasma panels to offer more brigthness and less power consumption. Going by this theory, P42UT50D looks to be better.
2. 42UT50D performance is almost on par with the 42ST50D all apects of PQ. Of course 42ST50D would look better in a brighter room, but in darker rooms, I do not see any difference. This is not a theory, but I witnessed the same through my own eyes with both ST50 and UT50 having the same picture settings. Now the theory part comes - ST50 has significant improvements over ST30 and so I assume UT50 might also be better than ST30 (mainly in darker rooms).
3. Going by the measurements of a reputed calibrator, UT50 produces more deeper black levels than ST30, Again, the measurements of both ST30 and UT50 were taken by the same calibrator and by using the same methodology. ST30 was measured in 2011 and UT50 was done in 2012. Again, this is a very theoretical point.

So my preference would be UT50.
To your question of neo-plasma panel viewing experience, there should be some improvements, but may not be seen by a normal viewer. ST50/ST30 comes with neo-plasma, but UT50 doesn't have that, but you can see UT50 doing on par with ST50 in darker rooms. THe only thing that a normal viewer might see is the Anti-reflection screen on the neo-plasma panels. In that context, ST50 black levels might still look inky-black even in brighter rooms when compared to UT50. In darker rooms, they both look similar.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your reply. Now I am clear which one I am going for and it is P42UT50D.

Just one more thing. I am offered this one for Rs. 62000 with 2 3d glasses here in Ahmedabad. Anyone have idea about current price? Am I getting a good deal? or Shall I wait till Christmas or New Year?

Thank a ton again.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Now I am clear which one I am going for and it is P42UT50D.

Just one more thing. I am offered this one for Rs. 62000 with 2 3d glasses here in Ahmedabad. Anyone have idea about current price? Am I getting a good deal? or Shall I wait till Christmas or New Year?

Thank a ton again.

My advice - dont go for 42 inch mate, a 50 inch is about 33% bigger than 42 inch and u would have to sit very near to the 42 inch TV to get the detail of the bluray or hddvd movies. A 50 inch should be minimum even it costs a 10k more.

I dont have a problem of budget for 50 inch tv but the as I told earlier the space is kind of a constraint. Will it make much difference watching bluray movies on 50 inch plasma than 42 inch plasma?

Others views?

I dont have a problem of budget for 50 inch tv but the as I told earlier the space is kind of a constraint. Will it make much difference watching bluray movies on 50 inch plasma than 42 inch plasma?

Others views?

Even a 42 inch will perform the same way as a 50 inch, but you might miss HD details with 42 inch if you are sitting very far away from the screen. If you sit closely, then you would see the HD details, but sitting so closely is not recommended for your eyes.
A simple rule. For 42 inch, if your sitting position is not more than 8 to 10 feet away from the TV, then 42 inch would suffice. If the total distance is greater thn that, then 50 inch would be the better option.

Ya The distance is around 8 to 10 feet only so not a problem and the final one is 42 inch it is.

Thanks a lot guys. This forum really helped me in finalising the tv. Now just need to check for better offer.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back