Full Range Drivers for Open-Baffle

sydney

Looking to build an open-baffle speaker for bedroom desktop application to be used along with a Topping PA-3 amplifier. Any pointers around which drivers to use, cost (I want to keep it as low cost as possible) and availability in India.

Also got a suggestion for Lii Audio drivers (from another forum member). However they are having issues shipping from China
I also bought that and i will be testing it next week in open baffle.. Not a small one, slightly bigger telefunken baflle. It has good reviews and not expensive.

I have two pairs of Philips 8" Full range speakers.
Cheap n best.
I got it from you only and it is very good.

Before you make a decision , OB needs space and for bass you have to have drivers above 12 inch or multiple drivers . As yogiji suggests Faital is good for OB . Other options are hi q drivers you will get some in local market for 400 to 600 don't expect any high quality but it's a good starting driver to experience ob . You may have to eq them otherwise they may sound harsh . There is a brand called award which has a 3 inch driver which cost 200 and the sound good in OB considering the price .

Before you make a decision , OB needs space and for bass you have to have drivers above 12 inch or multiple drivers . As yogiji suggests Faital is good for OB . Other options are hi q drivers you will get some in local market for 400 to 600 don't expect any high quality but it's a good starting driver to experience ob . You may have to eq them otherwise they may sound harsh . There is a brand called award which has a 3 inch driver which cost 200 and the sound good in OB considering the price .
So i would not need a lot of bass (no sub or big woofer drivers) it would mostly be for low volume/background listening. Do you think its a bad idea to have OB for tabletop speakers (to be precise they would sit on top of a piano).

Did u get the Lii audio
Yes i did. 6"

May be you try some vintage oval isphone drivers in ebay and it will sound damn good in smaller OB combined with 6" woofer with 2" tweeter.. It may not look not so big and it can accommodate like a desktop speaker. The sound is so realistic.

So i would not need a lot of bass (no sub or big woofer drivers) it would mostly be for low volume/background listening. Do you think its a bad idea to have OB for tabletop speakers (to be precise they would sit on top of a piano).
In small rooms OB may not be a better idea , may be a hybrid with a OB full range covering mid and high with a sealed or ported woofer . One issue is you have to have a crossover for such build . Making an optimal crossover for the particular drivers and box is not a easy task

I think only because of @yogibear findings they have become an whole professional in making FR drivers.. All credits to him. Now that could see $999 full range drivers :p :p Plus $3000 built speakers...

Amused to read on their website now stating, “can be played by low power tube amps” !

F6 was an inexpensive driver built for car use. I loved its specs and cone and had completely different ideas. Got gifted a pair and immediately placed them in Open Baffle and played through Tube 45 SE. Shared my observations with all. Even measured TSP which were way different than listed and were just fit for OB.

The creator of F6 and owner of Lii Audio was baffled at my findings. Saw a big opportunity And then started creating his whole OB specific drivers.

And now it’s on their website that F6 is NOT just a car driver. It’s still the best VFM FR for OB despite its poor chassis.
Did you get any finder fee? :)

Lii audio f6 is a great option, alternatively, you can look at Tang Band W8 1808. Really good driver for open baffle or back loaded horns.

Looking to build an open-baffle speaker for bedroom desktop application to be used along with a Topping PA-3 amplifier. Any pointers around which drivers to use, cost (I want to keep it as low cost as possible) and availability in India.
How low in frequency do you plan to go down with this open baffle?

No very low, moderate bass is OK Please note currently I have shelved the project as the money got spent elsewhere :)

With constant backing from a forum member @var1681 (he vouches for Lii Audio Silver but due to import restriction unable to source currently) and to beat lockdown boredom tried my lucky at a very low cost open-baffle.
Drivers used Visaton (Ordered from RS Components for ~5K) | Speaker terminals from MX Electronics | Old speaker wires between driver and Terminals | Speaker to Amp high-end speaker banana terminated wires from my main system | Flat boards (hardboard from Vinyl record packing from Revolver club) and a bit of carpentry & soldering skills........and then a final product. Total work around 3 hrs and then 1 hour of cleaning the dust.

My main rig is an AudioNote which is like 10 times the total of of the amp+dac+spkrs. Sound wise open baffles are so natural in vocal and instruments however lack the bass (low-end) factor. Could compensate this with subs but since this is a bedroom setup can live with it. Now during office hours this has become my main listening rig and as the days progress im beginning to like what I hear. May be can do some imporvement of the flatboard material and size to get and even better sound.

Thanks to all for you advise/opinions

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-28 at 2.55.47 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-28 at 2.55.47 PM.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 92
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-28 at 1.10.08 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-28 at 1.10.08 PM.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 90
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-29 at 1.29.17 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-29 at 1.29.17 PM.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 91
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back