Fun DIY Project :: Horn Loaded Open baffle speakers

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

With the Pune weather becoming absolutely pleasant with the onset of Monsoon, I decided (not)work from home this Friday. With my wife at work and with me left all alone with little work at hand, I started to feel certain urges. Don't get me wrong here, I am purely talking about DIY urges here (Gotcha!! ;)). As they say, Empty mind devil's workshop or rather a free DIYer new project, I started to fantasize about certain plausible projects which I can make using my very limited resources and skills. My sight got hold of the tiny laptop speakers in front of me and I sighed how "close" they sound, just then the idea hit me - "Why not build an open baffle horn speakers!!". I had always fantasized about the open baffles and the Horn loaded speakers but never had a chance to listen to any. Restricted by my limited material resources and skills, I thought about a simplest DIY project using the common objects lying around me.
I tore apart a cardboard box and cut out the parts for shaping the horns. The WIP pictures are as follows:

I took apart my poratble laptop speakers and took out the tiny 2 Inch wideband drivers. I kept them connected to their USB powered amplifier which pumps out about 5 watts of power to both of the speakers.

Finally, the completed horn looked like this

I attached the speakers to the horn and played some music through my laptop and the sound which came out of these tiny speakers was quite impressive! I got the first taste of open baffle and horn! The sound was quite different from the conventional boxy sound and it was very open without any compressions. The right word to describe the sound would be "natural". The lower end was nothing great but the midrange was something which really amazed me. Eventhough size of the speakers is only 2 Inches but they were sounding quite larger than their size. The speakers seemed to have certain affinity towards female voices, acoustic and percussion instruments as these sounded so smooth and lifelike. The higher end also was very well defined without any harsh sound. The lower end was, as I already mentioned, was nothing great but was just adequate (considering the size of the drivers). I could hear the foot of the drums in my 22x13 sq ft hall which itself was an achivement for these speakers!
The cello of Zoe Keating, the claps and whistles in the live performance recordings, the Tabla, the lead and acoustic guitar, the voice of Enya sounded so nice and soothing to my ears.

So, just by spending 15 mins of my time on the build, I had made something which I totally enjoyed. And the pleasure which I got from these speakers.....priceless.
I even shot a video of the horn speakers in action using my Nokia E61i which failed me totally. The video as well as the audio didn't came out as well and the real sound was not captured well. Sigh! my DSLR doesn't do video :sad: Anyways, I have uploaded the video on youtube, you can check out the same below. Really sorry about the lousy video quality and low volume. Blame it on my Nokia mobile.

YouTube - ‪DIY horn open baffle speakers‬‏

After totally enjoying the horn/open baffle sound, I thought of checking out the efect of these horns on my Wharfy bookshelves. I attached the horns on the tweeter using duct tapes and played some music through my laptop. This is when I realized the true potential of these horns!

This time the sound really blown me away. I had never heard such well defined sound from my Wharfedale speakers before! The higher frequencies became silky smooth and all the sibilance was gone. The Hi freq were so well defined and I started to hear each and every details of the music which was earlier getting chocked by the midrange and bass. The ill effect of diffraction was gone.
The NAD-Wharfedale combination is a fairly laidback system but addition of these horns totally changed that sound signature. Now it sounds quite neutral without being overtly bright or harsh. My ears have a tendency to ache if I hear something harsh or bright sound, it's a defect. But this setup is sounding so musical and soothing to my ears and I am totally enjoying the "new" sound now. The sound has the "live performance" effect without being harsh or bright. Now, there is a throw in the singer's voice and the chimes sounds so lifelike. The thinness of the Cymbals is gone and is now replaced by a full bodied sound. Now I would even like to claim that I can now hear the drumsticks hitting the snare/crash cymbals/ride cymbals. Plucking of the guitar string is still giving me shivers, as I am writing this port. I have been revisiting my entire music collection after this newfound "Sound". No wonder, my system is ON day and night and I am completely immersed in music for the last two days.
If you have a laidback system and would like to listen to the finer details in the music then I would totally suggest you to try out this tweak. This will absolutely work for you without spending anything, just your 15 mins.
One surprising thing which I have noticed is that the midrange has also improved to quite an extent. The only plausible scientific explanation I can think of for this is that the horn is acting as a big cone which is being excited by the vibrations emmited by the midrange driver.

Word of caution though, the WAF of these horns is totally zero and you will have to face constant nagging/ranting from your better half all the time. But I agree, they look utterly ugly. But who will make her understand the happiness I am getting out of them :eek:hyeah:

Finally, I would reiterate, my this little prototyping experiment turned out extremely successful and now I know that in future if I ever think of building a DIY speaker then I will definitely try out these open baffle/horns, may be using a Fostex 8 Incher and bigger horns :clapping:

Happy DIY'ing!

Last edited:
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: What a wonderful DIY. Congratulations. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Hi All,

Finally, I would reiterate, my this little prototyping experiment turned out extremely successful and now I know that in future if I ever think of building a DIY speaker then I will definitely try out these open baffle/horns, may be using a Fostex 8 Incher and bigger horns :clapping:

Happy DIY'ing!

Welcome to the horn club! Really cool experiment. You should try downloading Hornresp and see if you can get a handle on it.

I have both Fostex and Lowther drivers and I did build front horns for the Lowthers and they sounded simply stunning. Excellent dynamics, low distortion, holographic soundstage and very detailed. The horn I built was the TP1 Isis horn which is a simple 493mm exponential horn, the fornt horn is quite easy to build(the rear horn is another matter). Just a note of caution though, it is important to design the horn carefully as apparently it is quite easy to go wrong and end up with a heavily colored sound aka tonally inaccurate. This is the main reason many officionados are dismissive of horns, although the colored sound itself may often be very nice sounding.

Looks like you had a lot of fun!! Enjoy the spirit of DIY :clapping:

I see the horn is blocking the woofer. Does it not obstruct the sound from it?
Now you give me hope for my little 2" FR driver lying in the closet.

--G

Vivek,

Really a superb way to spend the day home! Congrats! Truly truly creative effort I must say using just what one has at home. Way to go!

regards

Welcome to the horn club! Really cool experiment. You should try downloading Hornresp and see if you can get a handle on it.

I have both Fostex and Lowther drivers and I did build front horns for the Lowthers and they sounded simply stunning. Excellent d.ynamics, low distortion, holographic soundstage and very detailed. The horn I built was the TP1 Isis horn which is a simple 493mm exponential horn, the fornt horn is quite easy to build(the rear horn is another matter). Just a note of caution though, it is important to design the horn carefully as apparently it is quite easy to go wrong and end up with a heavily colored sound aka tonally inaccurate. This is the main reason many officionados are dismissive of horns, although the colored sound itself may often be very nice sounding.

Hi Beast_of_burden,
I never really liked the boxy sound of the regular speakers and always missed the open real life sound.

By what I have experienced from my little experiment, a lot of knowledge and expertise would be required to get all the things right while making a horn. The learning curve is quite steep but I believe the experts like yourself will be guiding me in the right direction.
But I totally fell in love with the detailed sound and the dynamics which these horns can provide.

Looks like you had a lot of fun!! Enjoy the spirit of DIY :clapping:

I see the horn is blocking the woofer. Does it not obstruct the sound from it?
Now you give me hope for my little 2" FR driver lying in the closet.

--G

Yeah, I had hell lot of fun :yahoo:

The horn blocks the woofer till half but you know what....these horns have actually improved the midrange. I think these horns are acting as a midrange driver by picking up the vibrations from the woofer.

Vivek,

Really a superb way to spend the day home! Congrats! Truly truly creative effort I must say using just what one has at home. Way to go!

regards

Thanks. Efforts of only 15mins really paid me well. The results were outstanding. The horns are still attached to my Wharfedales, despite of constant nagging from my wife :eek:hyeah: Unfortunately, I cannot keep them attached to the speakers permanently as they are making them damn ugly. Looks like I'll have to make some quick detachable option for the horns, to attach them during my solitary listening sessions.

Hmmmmm. . .
Very interesting job there, Bhaiti. Am really happy for you. I can imagine how good it must have felt. I wonder if you could share which drivers/speakers these are. Will benefit many including me. Just reading about it makes me feel so OPENLY HORNY (pun intended). Jokes apart, Congrats also for the inspiration accorded. Way to go, mate, Keep up the good work.
Regards

Hi,

Great DIY experiment.:clapping:

Welcome to the world of horns.

Once you hear a really good horn speaker there is no going back to regular speakers.

Regards
Rajiv

Very good work there Vivek.

Did you tweak the crossover in anyway or did you use eq to flatten the horn peaks?

Regards,
Sonicbliss

Hmmmmm. . .
Very interesting job there, Bhaiti. Am really happy for you. I can imagine how good it must have felt. I wonder if you could share which drivers/speakers these are. Will benefit many including me. Just reading about it makes me feel so OPENLY HORNY (pun intended). Jokes apart, Congrats also for the inspiration accorded. Way to go, mate, Keep up the good work.
Regards

Thanks alot! The drivers are ripped out from an Artis portable speaker. They sound pretty good and i feel covers quite a range.

Hi,

Great DIY experiment.:clapping:

Welcome to the world of horns.

Once you hear a really good horn speaker there is no going back to regular speakers.

Regards
Rajiv

You are absolutely right. I am wondering if my badly executed horns (without any calculations) sounds so good then how would those well made with bigger drivers may sound. I am in love with the midrange.

Nice DIY mate, so much learnings and fun:cheers:

Thanks Santhol2! The fun was overflowing, so does my emotions (after hearing to them) :)

Nice start, if you are planning for midrange horns, the following links might be of help.

Single Driver Website

Mesh - Tractrix Horn Calculator

Paper horns can look good as well - DIY Paper Horn - The Paper Horn by Inlow Sound

Thanks t.anthony for sharing the links.
Even by fluke, I got the horn dimensions quite near to the ones calculated by the Tactrix calculator. :clapping:

And this Paper Horn looks quite classy and looks more or less like an art piece! Though, I feel there will be lots of challenges while fabricating these. To start with, the creator has to be an artist!

It's good to see the creative and innovative breed out there.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back