Fusion & World Music

Nikhil

Staff member
Creating a separate thread for what appears to be a popular genre. World Music has come to represent a genre of music that had emerged from the blending of musical influences from all over the world and is in many ways the cutting edge of the music scene. Fusion has been around for a while as well but belongs in this genre in my opinion. Some would argue that both are not the same and I wouldn't really differ on that position either.

I have included both terms in the subject to define an exciting genre that hopefully will be expanded upon by our forum members like we have already in some of the other threads. I look forward to seeing this thread grow, hopefully, into another repository of music that our members can enjoy.

Regards

Last edited:
Great to see this...I have been a 60s/70s classic rock kind of person all these years. Discovered 'world music' very recently, and there's no looking back. Today my Orchestra Baobab, Ali Farka Toure and Bueno Vista Social Club LPs get more playing time than the rest of my collection, and I know this is only scratching the surface of the depth of world music.

Another great LP which is a must-have in any collection is 'A Meeting by the River' by Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and Ry Cooder, and the Analogue Productions in 45 rpm transports you to the recording venue.

Perhaps one of the most loose and confusing (so called) genres to group music under. Firstly, it’s a US/West centric term - to define the non-western music as ‘World music‘. Like a England vs (Rest of) the World cricket match. Then they club indigenous music, traditional/folk, classical music, worldbeat/pop, and fusion from non-Anglo countries all under it as if they were all similar. I find that too reductive. Also, when you say ‘Fusion and World Music’, would you club Jazz fusion under it? Perhaps not. So again an inaccurate term.

Still there’s value in sharing favourite albums. But may be we should deter from calling it a ‘genre’.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps one of the most loose and confusing (so called) genres to group music under. Firstly, it’s a US/West centric term - to define the non-western music as ‘World music‘. Like a England vs (Rest of) the World cricket match. ...

Still there’s value in sharing favourite albums. But may be we should deter from calling it a ‘genre’.

Jazz is one of the genres that some of this music tends to get lumped into. But leaving that aside there is music which is coming along that is experimental with artists from different cultures - Arabic/Afro with French etc out of the Paris music scene. A lot of this is very cutting edge and is very different from any existing genre.

But let's not get too "religious" about it though. The intent is to create a place on here to share and discuss this diverse music. We can create separate discussions for the music that fits different groupings as the discussion evolves.

Ravi Shankar's fusion albums sound so different from those by most other Indian artists. He keeps it as rooted in Indian classical as is possible while still creating appeal for international audience by giving a slight tadka of western styles (whether western classical or jazz) through his collaborators.

Two of my all time favorite albums -
I consider it more of a well produced Indian album but it feature Radioheas's Johny Greenwood as the guitarist and electronics while Shye Ben Tzur from Israel.

This one is a beautiful collaboration, maybe not as involved as the first one but I love it. Kabir and other poets set to the guitar of French Matthias Duplessy. There is a simplicity I love in this one.

Also both of these albums actually have amazing accompanying documentaries -
For the Jeena Jeena album tour -
For Junun, the documentary is a little more difficult to find but pretty good, shot at a fort in Rajasthan.

Les Soeurs Goadec (The Goadec Sisters) - Harmony divine!

Three sisters in their seventies (born in early 20th century) from C’otes d‘Armor, France singing a Capella traditional Brittany folk songs in perfect harmony. You have to listen to this to realise how simple music can be so divinely beautiful!

EADAC9A7-F38A-42C7-99EA-AD8C4A3E6FF1.jpeg

Their music was popular in the 70s. Today it can transport you back in ages.

Top albums:
7D754BA6-A7FF-4C23-B1AF-9BDC5DBF2A36.jpeg

Streaming Platform Links:

Got a Hugh Masekela 'Hope' LP last week. Analogue Productions. Sourced it from Oceanic Pune. Brilliant music and mastering too. Please explore getting this - it gets lots of good reviews.

Jazz is one of the genres that some of this music tends to get lumped into. But leaving that aside there is music which is coming along that is experimental with artists from different cultures - Arabic/Afro with French etc out of the Paris music scene. A lot of this is very cutting edge and is very different from any existing genre.

But let's not get too "religious" about it though. The intent is to create a place on here to share and discuss this diverse music. We can create separate discussions for the music that fits different groupings as the discussion evolves.

This little debate inspired me to write my next essay on the topic of the genre called "World Music".

I, too, hate the term World Music, but had to sit down and write my thoughts out to be able to understand completely why I do.

Would love for you guys to take a read at this and hear what you think? Do you agree/disagree? Any thoughts are welcome especially if you disagree :)

Cheers,
Bhaskar

This little debate inspired me to write my next essay on the topic of the genre called "World Music".

I, too, hate the term World Music, but had to sit down and write my thoughts out to be able to understand completely why I do.

Would love for you guys to take a read at this and hear what you think? Do you agree/disagree? Any thoughts are welcome especially if you disagree :)

Cheers,
Bhaskar

Thanks for writing this piece, Bhaskar. You've given voice to my thoughts and feelings on the matter, and like always in elaborate and interesting manner. Hopefully, with the rationale elucidated by you, my original hang-ups about 'world music' as a term would sound less 'religious'. :)

Mewu Ama Wo by Alex Konadu

I am listening to this album by the legendary Ghanaian High Life musician singer from 70s to 00s. Known as the “One Man Thousand”, Alex is supposed to have played live in every single town and village of Ghana.

6F82C680-E83D-4E2C-96E7-7A0E036427DD.jpeg

Highlife is a peppy art form combining horns and African drums in a fusion kind of style. It’s native to West Africa. Here’s how Allmusic.com describes it: “Developed around the turn of the century, highlife is comprised of dance styles from English-speaking West Africa: guitar band music heard with jazz-like horn sections or in rural areas with just multiple guitars.

This album isn’t the best work of Alex Konadu - that distinction goes to his song ‘Asaase Asa’. But still this is a lively musical album with nice beats, and well-fused instruments that makes you nod your head and tap your feet. It will give you the feel of Goan Portuguese music.

YouTube Link:

His best album, from a live performance in London is on Tidal.

87C71430-90D8-48A4-B64B-A6DA0619558C.jpeg

The song depicted below is what he is most known for:

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back