Gaming HTPC - Budget 40000 INR

laghusikarwar

Hi Friends,

i am planning to buy a new HTPC and have a budget of around 40,000 INR (+ 5000 INR)

The following are my requirements:
1. Video Output to 32 HD LCD TV (so no monitor required)
2. Sound output to Logitec Z 5500
3. want a system with Wireless keyboard & mouse
4. Should have wifi & bluetooth
5. should have blue ray capability (reader a must, BD-writer would be a dream in this budget)

Usage from system:
1. Gaming (should be able to play all current games at mid to high resolution and future games at mid/low resolutions
2. Direct 11.0
3. Internet surfing - so require an OS
4. Home Theater use- watching movies - 70% time, 30% listening to songs

Also how are - Dell Zino HD, Bragpc.com's FJ8. Please advise guys who have built your own HTPCs

Please consider me as a noob.

This is how I would build the Gaming PC which can also act as an HTPC. But its definitely shoot the budget if you wanna have a Bluray reader and wireless keyboard/mouse combo.. and specific requirement like bluetooth.

Intel Core i5 2400 - 9K
ASUS P8Z68-V - 10K OR (if you want Intel HD graphics and would not do high OC)
ASUS P8P67-Pro - 11k (no Intel HD graphics but would OC like Hell)
Corsair/Gskill 4GB X 1 1333 MHz DDR3 - 1.2K - 1.3K
WD Green 1TB - 2.5K
Asus BW-12B1LT Bluray Burner - 8K OR
LG Bluray reader - 4-5K
Zotac 560 ti 1 gb ddr5 - 12 k
CM690 cabinet - 4K
Corsair GS600 PSU @ 4K
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K340 - 2K
Logitech Wireless Mouse M215 - 1K
================================
TOTAL 50700

Now you can decide where you want to compromise ...... Also I havent included wifi yet, but the best way is to get a router and a wifi dongle and configure the same.

Last edited:
This is how I would build the Gaming PC which can also act as an HTPC. But its definitely shoot the budget if you wanna have a Bluray reader and wireless keyboard/mouse combo.. and specific requirement like bluetooth.

Intel Core i5 2400 - 9K
ASUS P8Z68-V - 10K OR (if you want Intel HD graphics and would not do high OC)
ASUS P8P67-Pro - 11k (no Intel HD graphics but would OC like Hell)
Corsair/Gskill 4GB X 1 1333 MHz DDR3 - 1.2K - 1.3K
WD Green 1TB - 2.5K
Asus BW-12B1LT Bluray Burner - 8K OR
LG Bluray reader - 4-5K
Zotac 560 ti 1 gb ddr5 - 12 k
CM690 cabinet - 4K
Corsair GS600 PSU @ 4K
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K340 - 2K
Logitech Wireless Mouse M215 - 1K
================================
TOTAL 50700

Now you can decide where you want to compromise ...... Also I havent included wifi yet, but the best way is to get a router and a wifi dongle and configure the same.

This looks great. One question the CM690 cabinet looks very big. I was checking and found that it is a ATX. Is there a cabinet of mini atx or micro atx where i can fit all these components?

Try this:
Intel core i3 2100: 5800
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3: 3450
RAM: Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 (2 x 4 GB): 2800
SeaSonic S12II 520 W PSU: 3500
Graphics card: MSI 6870 Twin Frozer II: 14000
Hard disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB: 2700
Sound: Onboard SPDIF header
Keyboard mouse: Logitech wireless combo: 1100
Cabinet: coolermaster elite 310: 1850
DLink USB wireless N adapter: 850
Bluetooth dongle: 100
sony Blu ray Writer: 9399
Grad Total: 45749

If you want to cut the budget, go for a ATI 6770, it will cost you around 7000, so you save 7000 over the graphics card there itself.
Core i3 i suggested will be enough for a ATI 6870 and more than enough ATI 6770 so no bottlenecks there.
The Gigabyte board i suggested is a basic board with decent features. This board cannot overclock, nor does the processor overclocks, however i doubt whether you would over clock as it will call for additional cooling and so more rs spent on cooling and more noise produced.

Last edited:
Try this:
Intel core i3 2100: 5800
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3: 3450
RAM: Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 (2 x 4 GB): 2800
SeaSonic S12II 520 W PSU: 3500
Graphics card: MSI 6870 Twin Frozer II: 14000
Hard disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB: 2700
Sound: Onboard SPDIF header
Keyboard mouse: Logitech wireless combo: 1100
Cabinet: coolermaster elite 310: 1850
DLink USB wireless N adapter: 850
Bluetooth dongle: 100
sony Blu ray Writer: 9399
Grad Total: 45749

If you want to cut the budget, go for a ATI 6770, it will cost you around 7000, so you save 7000 over the graphics card there itself.
Core i3 i suggested will be enough for a ATI 6870 and more than enough ATI 6770 so no bottlenecks there.
The Gigabyte board i suggested is a basic board with decent features. This board cannot overclock, nor does the processor overclocks, however i doubt whether you would over clock as it will call for additional cooling and so more rs spent on cooling and more noise produced.

Thanks Vaibhav!! As i mentioned, i am trying to keep the form factor as small as possible, more on the lines of a Dell Zino HD. So i did consider the Bragpc.com FJ8. if you can suggest something on these lines,then it will really really help.

by a ps3 and a 20000 rupee dell zino or something... maybe even a a previous gen mac mini. serves both your reqs perfectly

As far as i know a PS3 will never come even close to a HTPC. mac mini newer version doesn't have Blue ray drive or even a dvd drive. The earlier macs are powerless :( dell zino i just checked cannot be bought without monitor and can't be fitted with a blue drive!!

This looks great. One question the CM690 cabinet looks very big. I was checking and found that it is a ATX. Is there a cabinet of mini atx or micro atx where i can fit all these components?

The mobos I have suggested are full ATX mobos, which would not fit in an ITX cabinet. Its impossible to build a gaming PC in an ITX cabinet. Mini ATX might be, but its still not advisable/ recommend to build a gaming PC in a small case as we have the GPU and the PSU both big guns generating heat and heat is the biggest enemy of computer components. (You might not be able to fit these things as well)

Lastly I would not suggest to go for an ATI card if you also would use this PC as an HTPC playing HD high bitrate files. Go for nVidia, as nVidia is better in A/V department. ATI has some rare drives issues with HD playback specially 3D. (and thats my personal experience, not some online review garbage)

and by any chance you wanna have a look at my PC there follow the below link ....

Checkout my SandyBridge i7 - Digit Technology Discussion Forum

Last edited:
Thanks Vaibhav!! As i mentioned, i am trying to keep the form factor as small as possible, more on the lines of a Dell Zino HD. So i did consider the Bragpc.com FJ8. if you can suggest something on these lines,then it will really really help.

First I dont know how you are even considering the Dell Zino even on the lines of a gaming PC. Its a joke on that terms with a pathetic HD mobile 4250 GPU, unless you planning to run games on a meek 15" screen, 1024x768 res with, AA, AF and all other shaders and effects off. OR planning to play Mario/Road rash kida games ..... Which actually isnt a Gaming PC at all.

However if its the other way around that you wanna built an HTPC that can also do some casual gaming then its a different ball game, and the recommendation shall change accordingly.

Lastly the Gigabyte board that has been suggested is not a gaming board neither is good enough for an HTPC

features missing

1. No Crossfire (and its imperative to have Crossfire/SLI on a "gaming machine")

2. No Bluetooth which I remember you mentioned in your OP.

3. No HDMI, which again is highly recommended for an HTPC

Last edited:
Gaming (should be able to play all current games at mid to high resolution and future games at mid/low resolutions

Looks like a tall order to me. However, I don't game so my judgement wont be the best one. You should try posting your query on techenclave or erodov. There are some very knowledgeable gamers on those forums who will be able to give practical advice.

You would probably get mileage by taking the AMD route. Pick up a Phenom 1090t (7-8 k) and build a system around it (make sure you get a MOBO with AM3+ socket). You get six real cores and can overclock the CPU if you need more juice. With AMD, your investment in MOBO is much better protected. The way Intel has been changing sockets makes my head spin. (not interested in a AMD vs Intel flame war. I have just started building AMD systems and they do the job for me at a much lower cost).

You might also have to lower your expectation about what else the PC can do. Gaming PC => More heat => More Fans/Ventilation => More noise. Not the best when you are playing music (or watching movies). Silencing the PC (case with good damping/quiet power supply/quiet fans/video cards with passive cooling) will take more money.

Last edited:
Replace the cabinet with this

Vaibhav, how are Primeabgd? I have never heard of them. I ordered the same case from the IT Depot and they tried the bait and switch on me. Asking me if I would be willing to accept SG-02 (instead of SG-02 F). I was so pissed off I didn't talk to another Indian seller and ordered it from shopyourworld at a much higher cost.

First I dont know how you are even considering the Dell Zino even on the lines of a gaming PC. Its a joke on that terms with a pathetic HD mobile 4250 GPU, unless you planning to run games on a meek 15" screen, 1024x768 res with, AA, AF and all other shaders and effects off. OR planning to play Mario/Road rash kida games ..... Which actually isnt a Gaming PC at all.

However if its the other way around that you wanna built an HTPC that can also do some casual gaming then its a different ball game, and the recommendation shall change accordingly.

Lastly the Gigabyte board that has been suggested is not a gaming board neither is good enough for an HTPC

features missing

1. No Crossfire (and its imperative to have Crossfire/SLI on a "gaming machine")

2. No Bluetooth which I remember you mentioned in your OP.

3. No HDMI, which again is highly recommended for an HTPC

1. ???
2. ASUS P8Z68-V board also does not have bluetooth
3. Why would you need motherboard HDMI if i would be buying a high end graphics card (unless you were using VIRTU ie)?

@laghusikarwar

Check out the benchmarks for HD6870 and HD6770 in games. even HD6770 is more than enough for full HD gaming even at high settings. if you want to go for a more future proof card then go for HD6870.

Last edited:
Vaibhav, how are Primeabgd? I have never heard of them. I ordered the same case from the IT Depot and they tried the bait and switch on me. Asking me if I would be willing to accept SG-02 (instead of SG-02 F). I was so pissed off I didn't talk to another Indian seller and ordered it from shopyourworld at a much higher cost.
better would be to call them before hand and check availability. i have heard they are pretty reliable

1. ???
2. ASUS P8Z68-V board also does not have bluetooth

Apparently it does ......

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8Z68-V

Else why would I have suggested it ....

3. Why would you need motherboard HDMI if i would be buying a high end graphics card (unless you were using VIRTU ie)?

HDMI would be handly if the user decides to use both GPUs for dual display. The whole point of Z68 board.

@laghusikarwar

Check out the benchmarks for HD6870 and HD6770 in games. even HD6770 is more than enough for full HD gaming even at high settings. if you want to go for a more future proof card then go for HD6870.

I have no complains with 6870 AFA gaming goes, infact ATI is ahead in gaming department from nVidia, but when it comes to Video playback nVidia leads. I myself have a Pair of these awsome HD5850 CF. But I (and few or many others) have faced some rare driver issues while hight bitrate HD playback specially 3D files. Hence I decided to go nVidia way when I built my HTPC. Havent looked back since then ,,,,,

Last edited:
You would probably get mileage by taking the AMD route. Pick up a Phenom 1090t (7-8 k) and build a system around it (make sure you get a MOBO with AM3+ socket). You get six real cores and can overclock the CPU if you need more juice. With AMD, your investment in MOBO is much better protected. The way Intel has been changing sockets makes my head spin. (not interested in a AMD vs Intel flame war. I have just started building AMD systems and they do the job for me at a much lower cost).

Sandybridge processors also have "real" cores so to say, and can be as easily OCed as any AMD counterpart. I myself have touche 4.5 GHZ with my 2700K.
Intel changes sockets but 1155 is pretty futureproof. Sandybridge is also pretty decent when it comes to Heat and Power consumption. Not to start AMD vs Intel war myself but Intel is still ahead when it comes to processing power and compatibility.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back