System setup and evolution

Arj,
My next visit to Bangalore, I would like to listen to your new set up. I don't stay very close to your place now . But still a visit to your place is something I will look forward to

Arj,
My next visit to Bangalore, I would like to listen to your new set up. I don't stay very close to your place now . But still a visit to your place is something I will look forward to
you are welcome sir..just give me some notice in case i am travelling .

Got myself 2 new toys over the last 2 months and finally got to put it all together
1. A new rack from Sound foundations - have added so many components over and they were all spread out and getting messy evoking some grumblings from the HM. A shout out to Ali from Soundfoundations on a wonderful work done in the manufacture and we had a lot of Whatsapp conversations on the design and finally ended up beautifully packed and finished at my Home

Some decluttering of cables is due now. currently focussed on separating the signal and power lines as much as I could

(The Wooden blocks on the Shelf is from a tweak I learnt from the guru FM Prem :) )
SF racksm.jpg
This obviously is not as Solid as my earlier one but is much more efficient in packing all components with no perceptible drop in sound..yet.

2.New Toy..an Ortofon A95 SPU Anniversary..and boy is it an upgrade o_O. with the help of @Dr.Bass got a great deal on an Ortofon T-30 SUT to match with the SPU as well.
Ortofon A95SPU sm.jpg

The difference is in the nuances and the resolution compared to the DL103R is significant and the texture of music is so much richer. Playing the Colonial cousins record currently and have been playing around with it all night now..next change due is a pair of Golden lion tubes for the Phono..

Last edited:
Wow arj!!!

That A95 must be something! When you've burned it in sufficiently your impressions would be nice.

Nice. Is that a custom made rack from SF ? Or is it a current model on their website ?
it is Custom.. I wanted custom dimensions and materials.

Wow arj!!!

That A95 must be something! When you've burned it in sufficiently your impressions would be nice.

It is Joshua, I got a good deal on a used one with 100 hours or so so its mostly burnt in. It is very musical and tracks very well ..an SPU was a dream which i never thought ill go with.

Got myself 2 new toys over the last 2 months and finally got to put it all together
1. A new rack from Sound foundations - have added so many components over and they were all spread out and getting messy evoking some grumblings from the HM. A shout out to Ali from Soundfoundations on a wonderful work done in the manufacture and we had a lot of Whatsapp conversations on the design and finally ended up beautifully packed and finished at my Home

Some decluttering of cables is due now. currently focussed on separating the signal and power lines as much as I could

(The Wooden blocks on the Shelf is from a tweak I learnt from the guru FM Prem :) )
View attachment 37710
This obviously is not as Solid as my earlier one but is much more efficient in packing all components with no perceptible drop in sound..yet.

2.New Toy..an Ortofon A95 SPU Anniversary..and boy is it an upgrade o_O. with the help of @Dr.Bass got a great deal on an Ortofon T-30 SUT to match with the SPU as well.
View attachment 37711

The difference is in the nuances and the resolution compared to the DL103R is significant and the texture of music is so much richer. Playing the Colonial cousins record currently and have been playing around with it all night now..next change due is a pair of Golden lion tubes for the Phono..

Hi Arj,

Congratulations on the SPU. How does it compare to the Decca?
What tubes does your phono stage use?

Hi Arj,

Congratulations on the SPU. How does it compare to the Decca?
What tubes does your phono stage use?
Rajiv, its far beyond decca in resolution, dynamics and everything else. The decca ( the version I have) , despite being an MM, is the best way to get close to an SPU but not yet there.

I really wonder how the Original SPU would be !

The Leben uses 12AT7 tube and the stock are by GE. The Golden lion seems to be much better but the cartridge itself has been so resolving that I am not sure of the changes yet and I believe the cartridge itself is breaking in as they say it needs anywhere from 100-200 hours.

The Double platter on the L75 was something completely reduced background noise and hence an increase in dynamics..it was you more than 8 years back who put me on the lenco..its been a long an enjoyable journey since then :)

View attachment 37710

View attachment 37711

Wow...hearty congratulations on the custom racks Arj :)

Your kit does look lovely housed in them..

Since I had been around the idler route for just more than a decade and over this time gently evolved a standard lenco to a PTP completely customized item and today the only original parts remaining are the motor and platter !

Earlier thread here.

I did upgrade/side grade my amplification to a pre power and ( LTA MZ2 and Quicksilver) and Phono to a Ear834P . Although I loved the simplicity of a lenco, had an urge to get a little bit more "sophisticated" with a Garrard 401 and started looking out for one and finally got one from an FM having missed out on some sales earlier this year.
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-20 at 10.56.14 AM.jpeg
This came with a built in plinth and an 9"SME tonearm but since i already had a 12" Thomas schick, setup a sub optimal tonearm base as a temporary measure and started the redesign of a new plinth. I had to paint this so learnt metal and wood painting and ended with this..
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-22 at 9.48.59 PM.jpeg
Having connected to several FMs with garrards and plinth experience and a lot of thanks to you all- @Rajiv , @reubensm , @G401fan and @shafic . Also got in touch with other experts around forums in the world and finally came down the the original Loricraft skeletal plinth as the best and worked out the right design concept http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/10/07/2017/the-loricraft-garrard-401-vintage-delight/ was very interesting.

Reached out to resident master builder @sadik and along with him worked out all the details of the plinth design , of the material : 24" birchwood ply, stainless steel pillars and tonearm board. While Covid , my son exams etc etc all delayed and finally last month ended with this
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-20 at 10.56.13 AM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-20 at 10.56.12 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-20 at 10.56.13 AM.jpeg

Experimented with a lot of suspensions between the top wood and base and the pillars ie: nothing, Squash balls, O rings, Rubber blocks and in the end came up with half cut squash balls as the best of the lot.

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-20 at 10.56.13 AM (1).jpeg

So far the sound is very good. the organic quality of the 401 comes through ..comparatively the Lenco perhaps has lesser noise floor but sounds more modern...

Lots to tweak in the setup to get the sound right. @prem and @Dr.Bass continue as my helpdesk to get the sound right :)

A real big shout out to @sadik , his understanding of audio as helps in building out such a high quality product in terms of the wood and the finish and precision of the solid steel pillars. They just fit in beautifully and precisely and his ideas around the design were really great.

Last edited:
What a beauty!
When working with used Garrards, keep an eye on the idler mount bearing, idler tension springs and motor suspension. Maintenance mechs usually focus on the spindle and motor itself but if you have all bases checked out, you can keep the noise out. I always love it when an upgrade from L75 to 401 happens, as thats the route I took. Wish you many hours of happy listening.

Congrats Arj. Enjoy the 401
Thanks Prem, it was your input which led to this ..and spend more money :D

Congratulations arjun.
Plinth and your Garrard 401 looks so beautiful .
Thanks a lot for the time spent on getting the plinth design right !

What a beauty!
When working with used Garrards, keep an eye on the idler mount bearing, idler tension springs and motor suspension. Maintenance mechs usually focus on the spindle and motor itself but if you have all bases checked out, you can keep the noise out. I always love it when an upgrade from L75 to 401 happens, as thats the route I took. Wish you many hours of happy listening.
thanks Reuben. Your thread is what inspired me to open up. Currently except for the Motor have cleaned/serviced everything else. got the spares from the classic hifi shop ie Circlips/Springs/gaskets

Hi Arj,
Plinth and TT look great. Congratulations.
What cartridge do you have on the 47 Labs tonearm?
Have you tried the Decca on the 47 Lab tonearm? I think you will like the combination. Lovely fluid sound.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Arj,
Plinth and TT look great. Congratulations.
What cartridge do you have on the 47 Labs tonearm?
Have you tried the Decca on the 47 Lab tonearm? I think you will like the combination. Lovely fluid sound.

Regards
Rajiv
its exactly that..was a struggle to get it in and put it only yesterday. need to connect it to the phono now

Since I had been around the idler route for just more than a decade and over this time gently evolved a standard lenco to a PTP completely customized term and today the only original parts remaining are the motor and platter !

Earlier thread here.

I did upgrade/side grade my amplification to a pre power and ( LTA MZ2 and Quicksilver) and Phono to a Ear834P . although I loved the simplicity of a lenco, had an urge to get a little bit more "sophisticated" with a Garrard 401 and started looking out for one and finally got one from an FM having missed out on some sales earlier this year.
View attachment 64511
This came with a built in plinth and an 9"SME tonearm but since i already had a 12" Thomas schick, setup a sub optimal tonearm base as a temporary measure and started the redesign of a new plinth. I had to paint this so learnt metal and wood painting and ended with this..
View attachment 64517
Having connected to several FMs with garrards and plinth experience and a lot of thanks to you all- @Rajiv , @reubensm , @G401fan and @shafic . Also got in touch with other experts around forums in the world and finally came down the the original Loricraft skeletal plinth as the best and worked out the right design concept http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/10/07/2017/the-loricraft-garrard-401-vintage-delight/ was very interesting.

Reached out to resident master builder @sadik and along with him worked out all the details of the plinth design , of the material : 24" birchwood ply, stainless steel pillars and tonearm board. While Covid , my son exams etc etc all delayed and finally last month ended with this
View attachment 64515View attachment 64513View attachment 64516

Experimented with a lot of suspensions between the top wood and base and the pillars ie: nothing, Squash balls, O rings, Rubber blocks and in the end came up with half cut squash balls as the best of the lot.

View attachment 64514

So far the sound is very good. the organic quality of the 401 come through ..comparatively the Lenco perhaps has lesser noise floor but sounds more modern...

Lots to tweak in the setup to get the sound right. @prem and @Dr.Bass continue as my helpdesk to get the sound right :)

A real big shout out to @sadik , his understanding of audio as helps in building out such a high quality product in terms of the wood and the finish and precision of the solid steel pillars. They just fit in beautifully and precisely and his ideas around the design were really great.
QQ, is the top level of the plinth balancing on sliced tennis balls?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back