• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

For Sale Garrard 401 Turntable

HiFiMART.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Record Player

Gents,

This time around I am putting up my Garrard 401 Idler Drive Turntable up for Sale.

Reason for sale: In need of immediate funds for an important personal commitment. Sad to let this go but I have to :(

Details:

I acquired the Garrard 401 from the UK. Technically and aesthetically this is in mint condition. Absolutely no rumble, the motor is extremely quite. Personally designed and made the plinth with marine plywood with an even cut for the motor to fit in. Custom stainless steel spike feet and discs designed. A solid custom made acrylic dust cover with the Garrard 401 etching on it. A Rega RR200 tonearm installed with a custom base as seen in the pics. This can be modified to house any tonearm, even a 12 incher. The arm comes with a head shell (NO CARTRIDGE) with high quality RCA Interconnects.

Price: 1,25,000/- for the whole package as listed above.

Open to shipping on actuals & on buyers risk. Quite familiar with solid packing especially with such legends.

Should you be interested, please send me a direct message.

Many Thanks

IMG_2454.jpg IMG_2455.jpg IMG_2457.jpg IMG_2459.jpg IMG_2461.jpg

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

reubensm

With you permission RP, I'd like to comment. Both RP and I indulged in our Garrard 401s, about the same time. I also later added the 301 to the stable. These are truly magnificent turntables. There are loads of views, both in favour of and against Garrards and Idler drive turntables, however you've really got to listen to a Garrard 401 to understand its true value. The punch, timing and authority with which is plays, cannot be matched by ordinary mass market turntables. While investing in these machines, I used the following logic:

(At the time, my primary turntable was the humble but extremely reliable Technics SL3200)

1) I have a huge LP collection and my primary source for hi-fi listening is vinyl
2) I have to better the sound and at some point I am going to have to invest in a better turntable
3) Need a great turntable with a simple mechanism, which I can fix or service myself. Spares and upgrades should be readily available
4) Need to make a one time investment and live happily ever after, I can't be diverting funds all the time for upgrade after upgrade
5) Need a world famous and extremely well recognized audiophile turntable with high pedigree, should be in at least the Top-20 of all time
6) Should be from the 1950s to 1970 time frame. These were the times from where the best ever turntables originated
7) Turntables in great condition from the era mentioned in point-5 are disappearing from the market, New Old Stock is close to impossible to find
8) The rupee is loosing steadily against the dollar, if I don't buy now, I may not be able to afford one in the future
9) Audio products usually depreciate fast, needed something which is a worthwhile investment, that could give me joy and keep my wife happy
10) It was a life long ambition of my father to own a 301 or 401, I shared the same ambition
11) The bragging rights that come with it are immense. Though I have quite a bit of experience with vinyl, I wanted to become a seriously accepted player in friends and community circles, one just cant read online articles and boast about turntables, one has to experience these legends first hand to comment about them.

And that's how I decided to make a good investment in some good stuff. The 401 came first, followed by the 301, both on NOS SME 3009s and honestly, I don't think I will need to upgrade ever again. And yes, for the record, my love for Technics did not die away. I upgraded by Technics SL3200 with the SP 10 Mk2 :)

All the very best for the sale.

Record Player

Thank you for the enquiries received as of now. This is still in discussion and local auditions are scheduled as well.

Some FMs have expressed that they are not able to decide or are confused. As Reuben highlighted Sir Garrard 401 is surely a legend. The 401 has put stop upgrades to a lot of FMs I know who have this legend.

I would like to reiterate, this 401 I picked up from the UK and is an extremely clean piece both internally and technically. All features work flawlessly. I put a lot of hard work and TLC in acquiring and taking care of this legend. A clean piece of this sorts is running above £1000 and above just for the 401 motor and not to mention courier costs, plinth costs, tonearm etc which are additional.

Once staged in your Hifi Rack, this beauty will not fail to surprise you every time it spins. Remember, the 401 just looks & sounds stunning!

Ill be happy to share more pics and videos inside out of Sir Garrard 401 especially for outstation FMs.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.