Garrard RC 210 Tone Arm Rewiring

The Garrard RC210 tonearm is wired for stereo, the mono cart if used, was wired accordingly in the headshell itself. I have a specimen lying here for restoration. Let me take a look and will post the details.

Managed to take some pics. The wiring coming from the headshell jack (the Garrard RC210 uses a 4-pin Garrard headshell) to the junction point below the tonearm is for stereo. One can notice the 2 separate shielded wires reaching the tag board. This one was taken from a mono stand alone record changer (not the radio gram variety) and hence you can also notice how the shielded cable which is intended to go out to the amplifier input, is wired. IMG_20180827_095121.jpgIMG_20180827_095203.jpgIMG_20180827_095121.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180827_095211.jpg
    IMG_20180827_095211.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Reuben for the explanation photographs. Attached is my understanding of the wiring. Please advise if this is in order.

Attachments

• drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 9
I have wired the Changer as per the suggestions of Reuben and it is working fine. However, some hum is there. Suggestions required to reduce the same.

Thanks

Grounding is very important. The older turntables, especially the Garrards did not have a grounding wire. The outer shield of the cabling to the amplifier doubled as the ground wiring. This is not a very efficient way of grounding. Ensure that the grounded tag of the tag board (below the tonearm is grounded with the cartridge wiring coming to the tag board and also wire this separately to the ground of the amplifier. It is very important to have a dedicated ground wire, or you may be encouraging forms of grounding loops :)

Thanks Reuben for the explanation photographs. Attached is my understanding of the wiring. Please advise if this is in order.

For mono, just wire one channel, using one of the pairs of the tonearm wiring. From the headshell perspective, the RC210 uses a 4-pin headshell, hence you'd need to use just one relevant pair for mono.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back