Getting Dolby Atmos out from Yamaha RXV585

niktrix

I have Yamaha Rxv 585 AV receiver, yamaha ns-p41 speakers and 2 overhead speaker, for player I have Firestick 4k, as per website it says it has dolby atmos support, I am having hard time getting dolby atmos output from this setup,

Not sure how to know that I am getting dolby atmos output as there is no option to view the type of output, even after going to info it says channel as 2.0.0 or 3.4.1 but it never says channel 5.1.2

I have tried all titles having support of dolby atmos os but output channel never says 5.1.2

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Good luck with your trouble shooting - I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

Regards

Few common troubleshooting points for Yamaha AVRs:

1. Have you tried any other source like Blu Ray disc with atmos?
2. Have you checked in configuration menu if AVR's amp configuration is set property for atmos.
3. Press info button on front panel until it shows 'Decoder'. Then play the atmos track. Does it show Atmos on receiver?

Hope that helps.

1. I have only laptop and firestick 4k as player, If I connect laptop and play atmos movie it shows PCM and channel as 3.4.1
2. there is no option for dolby atmos in AVR's amp,
3. No it never show atmos on reciever, I played jack Ryan from prime which has dolby atmos, downloaded atmos movies and player via laptop

I have Yamaha Rxv 585 AV receiver, yamaha ns-p41 speakers and 2 overhead speaker, for player I have Firestick 4k, as per website it says it has dolby atmos support, I am having hard time getting dolby atmos output from this setup,

Not sure how to know that I am getting dolby atmos output as there is no option to view the type of output, even after going to info it says channel as 2.0.0 or 3.4.1 but it never says channel 5.1.2

I have tried all titles having support of dolby atmos os but output channel never says 5.1.2
How have you setup your speakers? Until and unless you setup the speakers as ceiling or front height through the user interface of Yamaha, you will never get dolby atmos.
Moreover, are you sure that the input is dolby atmos? I don't remember how Yamaha's UI is, but somewhere in the menu, there should be a setting to see the input signal.

yes, speakers are setup, as ceiling speakers
yes input is dolby atmos, i am playing it from laptop, dolby atmos track downloaded from dolby website

yes, speakers are setup, as ceiling speakers
yes input is dolby atmos, i am playing it from laptop, dolby atmos track downloaded from dolby website

If you’re on windows 10 then grab the latest update and get the dolby access app from the Microsoft store. Through the app you can configure your AVR for atmos.

you have to bitstream audio from laptop in order to get atmos else u will only get pcm
install dolby access for microsoft store
use kodi,mpc-hc,potplayer etc to bitstream audio to avr

Fire stick 4k and ATMOS pass through on Prime is actually trivial and there is no reason it shouldn’t work other than :

a) (just to get the obvious out of the picture) - check that the audio stream selected is ATMOS (options during playback > Audio stream)
b) Is your net connection and wifi link fast enough? IIRC , atmos stream won’t present itself in sub 4K which means the net speed at your stick should be 25-30mbps+ and stable

Unfortunately Netflix atmos isnt supported on fire stick (or at least want till a year ago) so I had to switch to ATV4K

As for windows and atmos, I have no idea but there seem to be plenty of helpful posts you have got around it

3.4.1 but it never says channel 5.1.2

May be 3 refers to L-C-R, 4 referes to surrounds (2) and heights (2) and 1 refers to subwoofer..

Get Kodi for windows, enable expert mode under settings and enable pass-through for each of the audio type displayed under that menu and then play BR Rip (or) Disc with Atmos and then check the AVR display..

May be 3 refers to L-C-R, 4 referes to surrounds (2) and heights (2) and 1 refers to subwoofer..

Get Kodi for windows, enable expert mode under settings and enable pass-through for each of the audio type displayed under that menu and then play BR Rip (or) Disc with Atmos and then check the AVR display..
That’s a good catch sir - 3.4.1 does mean the receiver is decoding 8 channels

yeah, After playing using USB I can see the format as atmos on my av receiver.

One thing I realised that my internet speed is 20Mbps that may be the reason I am not getting atmos output from my firestick 4k,

Thanks for all the pointers you guys have given, it helped me a lot.

One thing I need your recommendation is which player should I buy to play 4k streaming from netflix, prime.
Dont have video does macbook supports Atmos ?

Still I am not clear about the channel that I never get 5.1.2 channel mentioned, what troubleshoot I should follow to get 5.1.2

Never used a macbook.. But macbook doesn't need to do Atmos.. It should have the capability of sending Atmos data (Bitstream) to AVR, which will receive & decode Atmos audio..

Guess, it should have HDMI (or) thunderbolt port? If so, an HDMI -> HDMI cable should do.. Else a thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor should do to connect to AVR..

yeah, After playing using USB I can see the format as atmos on my av receiver.

One thing I realised that my internet speed is 20Mbps that may be the reason I am not getting atmos output from my firestick 4k,

Thanks for all the pointers you guys have given, it helped me a lot.

One thing I need your recommendation is which player should I buy to play 4k streaming from netflix, prime.
If you want ATMOS on both NF and prime, the ATV 4K will do both out of the box without any extra configuration
I believe shield also does it but requires some extra steps - haven’t used one though

Its a subjective assessment but IMO if you want the best PQ and AQ across platforms, the ATV 4K is a no-brainer
Firestick is great VFM for what it is but falls short of the ATV (by a slight margin) on both fronts
Shield costs as much and while the hardware is great, I understand the software is a bit of a let-down

However with any of your devices, you aren’t going to get ATMOS unless your net speed is fast enough..
20mbps is just about at the cusp + I don’t know how fast/good your wireless link is
Typically the 2.4ghz band struggles with 4K streaming and you need to have wired or a solid 5ghz connection for flawless 4K with atmos

As for the macbook, i tried Apple TV+ and it did atmos passthrough
NF and prime work via safari so I doubt either will do atmos passthrough

Last edited:
I doubt online content provides
1. I have only laptop and firestick 4k as player, If I connect laptop and play atmos movie it shows PCM and channel as 3.4.1
2. there is no option for dolby atmos in AVR's amp,
3. No it never show atmos on reciever, I played jack Ryan from prime which has dolby atmos, downloaded atmos movies and player via laptop
any genuine Atmos content available online, I doubt

From my little experience,

Dolby Atmos is paired only with UHD streaming.
So what’s your display?

If you are using 4K tv but still not getting...

1) Check display settings in both firestick & tv

2)internet speed

3) If you don’t have “eARC” on tv (if streaming through built in app)/ android box, output the sound through optic/toslink instead hdmi (which can be restricted to only video output)

Enjoy your weekend.

I doubt online content provides
any genuine Atmos content available online, I doubt
Plenty of ATMOS available on both NF and Prime .. whatever little content is on ATV+ is also atmos although expect that collection to grow
If DLing is your preferred mode then that also offers a fair amount of ATMOS content

The only constraint - ATMOS streaming will typically trigger in streaming only when the video chain is 4K and your end device link speed is at least 25-30mbps +
On the other option, ATMOS encoded movie files tend to be 45-75 GB , not because atmos needs so much space but because these files tend to be high bit rate 2160p encodes so the corresponding videos are large too

Sony 4K projectors are expensive but best. Projector and AVR are electronics and they become obsolete soon than later. If they don’t, companies won’t have anything to boast about every year!! 8K tvs are commercially launching. Before we realise 4K becomes bygone resolution perhaps more quicker than 1080p. So I suggest you to spend wisely by considering VFM factor.

Take the case of AVR. First it was THX certified. Then lossless. Then 4K. Then Atmos. The next year dts x. Then next year auro 3D which really didn’t make much. Next Dolby Vision. Now imax enchanced.
TVs too. First plasma. Then lcd with 1080p. Then 3D. Then led. Then 4K. Then curved oled. After that flat Oled. Then Dolby Vision. Now Netflix calibrated!

Spend on speakers, aesthetics, acoustics, cables if u fancy, seating, screen. Pj & AVR need upgrade at least every 5years if u r an av enthusiast. They are not long time/one time buy.
All the best.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back