Getting lossless HD-audio(5.1analoge) out on HTPC

spirovious

Hi,

I was very happy to select xonar D2X as a soundcard for HTPC to get HD audio 5.1out.It can accept 192khz/24bit audio to do DAC job.
So I got a bluray drive to play Bluray discs(with anyDVD HD + PDVD10).
When I checked output info on PDVD,I was shocked to see 48khz/16bit audio out.That is PDVD10 was downscaling HD-audio.When I googled,I found that this is due to PAP(Protected Audio Path)& any of bluray playing SW will have to do the same.I was trying to get solution & kept trying with few media players.
With my experiement I could notice that MPCHC is the way which can do the job without PAP enabled.How?-

I also installed ffdshow,reclock.
I opened MPCHC,clicked to open file,went to stream folder & played single video file.I checked reclock to confirm that I was getting 24bit audio(PCM).
Before that I selected output as 24bit in ffdshow audio.

This was the simplest way.With same setting if I select full STREAM folder,output which I get is 16bit instead of 24bit(Like PDVD).
I then tried to play same way with PDVD10.ie.Rt.click the video file in stream folder & opened with PDVD10.It works.The only problem is how to select all video files together & rare chance to change file sequence & movie scences can be changed.ie there can be death shot showed earlier & gunshot scence after that.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/14999-surprising-discovery-7.html

So I googled again & found some pages-
Full TrueHD Quality without HDMI? [Archive] - Doom9's Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1118204
Playback Unmolested DTSHD-MA Audio Track via analogue - Only 30 minutes of your time - Guru3D.com Forums
ArcSoft Codec Unlocker & How To Save Audio Decoder HD Settings - Doom9's Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822

anotherway is to rip Bluray movie with losslessflac+VC1.

You need EAC3to,Madflace,HdBrStreamExtractor,MKVmerge,MPCHC,Reclock,
arcsoft TMT(for DTS-HD decoding).

So tried these & ripped succecfully.

Most of Bluray discs has 48khz DTS HD sound & so dont know what happens with 96khz sound.
Akira is 192khz, why not other movies? - Blu-ray Forum
Blu-ray Movie Bitrates Here - Blu-ray Forum

So many views & no discussion?
Yes I know that this thread is started very late & by the time most of entry level AVRs are made without 5.1/7.1 analoge input.Still this way can be useful to those who will use 5.1 power amp OR 3 identical stereo amps(even topping).
I came to know TMT .125 or lesser(V2.1)supports 24bit output,but it is not compatable with windows7.I tried it.

Many of us don't have BD Drives. May be that's the reason no one commented. Nevertheless it is very helpful even to future buyers.

Thanks baijuxavior,
Now the things are easy ,get a HD graphiccard,bitstreame to AVR & get HD-audio decoded.Those who have old AVR with multich(analoge)in,they can try this method.

not that easy for me, please see my setup in signature, os is win7 64 bit, pc to display is through hdmi. Any simple solution to get dolby truhd/ dts ma. i tried tmt3 but for audio only one option works and that is pcm, any free player software that can do it

not that easy for me, please see my setup in signature, os is win7 64 bit, pc to display is through hdmi. Any simple solution to get dolby truhd/ dts ma. i tried tmt3 but for audio only one option works and that is pcm, any free player software that can do it
MPC-HC with LAV filters. Simplest setup and guaranteed to bit stream all formats (provided EDID is right).

but that cannot play bluray discs right? i meant dolby truhd/ dts ma from blurays

but that cannot play bluray discs right? i meant dolby truhd/ dts ma from blurays
Yes, it can play the files in a blu ray with all audio formats.
It may not be able to open a blu ray disc like "Open DVD", but I am not 100% sure about this.

Yes, it can play the files in a blu ray with all audio formats.
It may not be able to open a blu ray disc like "Open DVD", but I am not 100% sure about this.

I can play avatar by opening STREAM folder,but Kingkong hangs.:sad:

My experience has been that all free players including MPC stutter with Blu-Ray discs or media. No software plays Blu-Ray as well as PowerDVD does. The latest version of PowerDVD (11) also plays many media files including ISO and Blu-Ray folders.

PowerDVD does have issues with EDID and that has to be set up properly for HD Audio to be streamed.

Cheers

i had tried powerdvd demo earlier , forget hd , couldnot get any audio at all, and it is not free
so asked about any other option,My pc is not directly connected through display (video procesor and onlyo 3300 in the series chain) and is win 7 64,.
Read somehere pdvd doesnot work properly in win 7 64

Vlc is the only one works (plays all , dolby 5.1) in my setup , with mpc i couldnot get even dolby 5.1 displayed in onkyo any trick to make vlc play bluray with hd audio

Last edited:
i had tried powerdvd demo earlier , forget hd , couldnot get any audio at all, and it is not free

It certainly is not free. But the new version is certainly worth the cost. You do not need any other player excepting maybe VLC to play some odd media files. PowerDVD plays Blu-Ray, MKV, AVI, ISO flawlessly.

I am surprised the PowerDVD did not output audio. I am sure it is an settings issue. I have had no issues with it through my Onkyo 875.

and is win 7 64,. Read somehere pdvd doesnot work properly in win 7 64

My HPTC is a 64 bit Windows 7. PowerDVD has a single version for all OS, while a 64 bit version is available for MPC.

Vlc is the only one works (plays all , dolby 5.1) in my setup , with mpc i couldnot get even dolby 5.1 displayed in onkyo any trick to make vlc play bluray with hd audio

I have not been able to get VLC player to play either Blu-Ray properly nor bit-stream HD Audio. MPC does bitstream audio properly. To do this you have to use FFDShow. Also remember that unless you have the EDID working properly you will not get HD Audio with any software player.

Cheers

with mpc i couldnot get even dolby 5.1 displayed in onkyo
Without any external filters you should have the following setting for bit streaming DD and DTS:
View-->Options-->Internal Filters

capture3105201113450277.png

Double click on either AC3 or DTS to set the following.

capture3105201113452961.png

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back