Getting theoretical about Subwoofers

Rud31

Have few queries/doubts about subwoofers in general:
1. What kind of subs are better, one with Class AB amplification or the Class D ones?
2. Since most of the subs move a lot of air, the ones with Class AB amplifier, does heat becomes an issue for their sustained operation ?
In short, in case of subwoofers, does it matter what class of amplifier they have? If yes then why and if no then also why?

1. What kind of subs are better, one with Class AB amplification or the Class D ones?
2. Since most of the subs move a lot of air, the ones with Class AB amplifier, does heat becomes an issue for their sustained operation ?
In short, in case of subwoofers, does it matter what class of amplifier they have? If yes then why and if no then also why?
It matters.. 100% sure..
GENELEC 7060b is 120 watts class AB.
GENELEC 7360a is 300 watts class AB.
I have 7060b
My uncle has 7360a

Both have similar specs..Except the amp power.

It matters.. 100% sure..
GENELEC 7060b is 120 watts class AB.
GENELEC 7360a is 300 watts class AB.
I have 7060b
My uncle has 7360a

Both have similar specs..Except the amp power.
Your point being? Are they better than Class D ones? Do they run hot?

Last edited:
If it was ever so simple about Class A/AB or D and T. Class D has come a long way and can be used for fronts let alone subwoofers. There is a reason more and more speaker designers are using class D instead of class AB. It can generate gobs of power without over heating, which allows them to use stiffer cones of different materials which was difficult when generating watts was expensive. The Kef wireless LS50 uses class D amplifiers, just an example. One has to be specific about which amplifier rather than what class it is.
There is no reason to believe blindly that class AB is better than class d or class A is better than class AB. So if it fits the bill, go for class D, it is green technology too.

I believe you already must have got answers to your queries / doubts...these links will help explain the technical aspects better in layman terms.

I dont think heat will be a major issue. Widely A/B class amps are used in subs. A few would adopt a D class amp which is more efficient. All electronics where a current is passed will generate some amount of heat. For obvious reasons, Aluminium heat sinks / plates are used in the amp board to transfer the heat from circuits to plates which cool down faster.

Most of the subs in the market like XTZ or BIC or SVS or Yamaha or Taga or Definitive Technology etc. are designed appropriately with the right components etc. and have never failed in continuous performance for hours due to over heating, unless there is something specifically posted or reported over the net which i have not come across yet.

If the sub does not suddenly work, is 95% due to the slow blow fuse which would have got blown.....this is easily replaceable.

I use a DIY class D subwoofer car amplifier to power my H- frame OB sub. They are supercool even after 3 hours of continuous use. Currently I am powering them with a 12v, 7 Ah battery and require charging after 20+ hours of use.

I haven't used class D power amps with subwoofer yet, but i have been powering my 4 x 12 inch DIY sealed subs with Parasound HCA 2205A, which i believe is class AB.. Have used it for 8 hrs or more sometimes, with intermittent breaks.. Yes, the amplifier unit gets hot, not unbearable, but it gets hot..

I haven't used class D power amps with subwoofer yet, but i have been powering my 4 x 12 inch DIY sealed subs with Parasound HCA 2205A, which i believe is class AB.. Have used it for 8 hrs or more sometimes, with intermittent breaks.. Yes, the amplifier unit gets hot, not unbearable, but it gets hot..
You are using an HCA (JC design) to drive subs? Wow!!
Folks will be jealous of you :)
Cheers,
Raghu

You are using an HCA (JC design) to drive subs? Wow!! Folks will be jealous of you :)

:p It is a 5 channel power amp, but the one i have is a defective one (one channel doesn't work).. Only 4 channels work.. This power amplifier was lying dusty with a car audio installer, near my place to fix the 5th channel.. One look at it, saw the specs and chased the installer and got it home, been using for subs where it would need more power and it hasn't disappointed ever since.. Pretty happy with it..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back