Getting Yamaha recieverr fromm US

Deepak123

Hello forum members,
This is my 1st post in the forum and good to be a part.
Needless to say, this forum immensely helps people in purchasing their AV needs.

I am following the forum from quite some time as I am looking to buy a HT for myself and arranging dough for that. But , now I need some quick help from you guys.
Today when I am casually browsing black Friday deals on Amazon USA, I saw Yamaha RX-V679BL 7.2-Ch AV Receiver at $300 . Relative of mine will be traveling soon and he can carry it for me.

Now I need your inputs regarding
1. How good the receiver is??
2. Warranty in India?
3. Do we have dependable voltage converters available in India?
4. I will be buying speakers in India, so any compatibility issues? . Also need suggestions but later
5. Any Customs issue? The box will be opened and will be bought as used one
6. Any chance it can be damaged during transit?

I have recently auditioned yamaha 2 famous HtiBs, didn't like yht196, yht 299 sounded lot better.

So guys, really need your inputs and answers to my above queries

Links
Amazon USA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VIRG3G..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=6SSDMJ1JTPCJBBR1HS0A

Seems its available in India too
RX-V679 - '79 Series AV Receivers - Yamaha - India

TIA
Deepak

Hello forum members,
Needless to say, this forum immensely helps people in purchasing their AV needs.

I am following the forum from quite some time as I am looking to buy a HT for myself and arranging dough for that. But , now I need some quick help from you guys.
Today when I am casually browsing black Friday deals on Amazon USA, I saw Yamaha RX-V679BL 7.2-Ch AV Receiver at $300 . Relative of mine will be traveling soon and he can carry it for me.

Now I need your inputs regarding
2. Warranty in India?
4. I will be buying speakers in India, so any compatibility issues? . Also need suggestions but later

I have recently auditioned yamaha 2 famous HtiBs, didn't like yht196, yht 299 sounded lot better.

Links
Amazon USA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VIRG3G..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=6SSDMJ1JTPCJBBR1HS0A

Seems its available in India too
RX-V679 - '79 Series AV Receivers - Yamaha - India

TIA
Deepak

Its a good receiver no doubt but try getting Marantz if feasible as many feel they are equally good for music and movies.

Get a good matched speakers from India, no issues with compatibility between US AVR & Indian speakers.

No warranty in India whatsoever, damages during transit depends on your luck, mostly doesn't get damaged if you mark it as Fragile and pack it adequately , since its less than 50k, it won't be charged customs mostly.

I've used a US yamaha RX-V477 recently, its 110V - you'd need a Step-down transformer.
Since you are based in Hyderabad get MX Step-down transformer of almost double the max Wattage of your AVR. I found MX was good enough and didn't cause a AC hum.

Eg: if your AVR max wattage is 250W, get a 500W capable Step-down transformer, because max efficiency is around 80% and you may get some other components from US, which may require 110V in the future.

Its a super deal go for it :thumbsup: provided you like Yamaha sound signature. Its fully loaded receiver with all features minus Atmos / DTS:X. As suggested by FM if you got a option of Marantz NR1506 / NR1606 with few 50-100$ extra i would suggest go for Marantz.

Thanks for your replies drkrack and apbinu !!!

My usage will be more of movies ( playing through USB ) , DTH HD movie channels ( I have Tata Sky HD ), lets say , 75% movies , 25% music.
I did like Yamaha yht-299, and many reviews in the forum does reassure that Yamaha HTs are good for movies

My budget is max 50k and to build my HT step-by-step and since I saw this blackfriday deal , now , I am planning to take the plunge. And if I can get this AVR successfully , I can have more $$$ for speakers.
Also , I dont have any plans for Atmos and stuff. Just a friendly neighborhood home :)

Now , few questions more:
1. I hope Yamaha Service center in India can service this AVR if at all , I encounter any problem ? Or will they shoo-away since its bought from US
2. Marantz doesn't have any deals , and that extra $$$ on AVR will decrease my budget for speakers. Pls advice if my thinking is correct ?

TIA ,
Deepak

Most likely anything you buy from abroad will negate warranty in India. It's really a chance one takes.Same goes with Marantz or Denon or any of these low/mid end avr's.
A lot of FM's have bought avr's from abroad and had no issues at all.
Stereo amps are a different story altogether.
Yamaha or Marantz aren't that different in sound signature in my opinion(others may disagree) but it also boils down to what speakers they get paired with. Some say Paradigms sing when paired with Yamaha, but then again its really a personal choice as I find Paradigms a bit bright for my ears regardless what brand of amplification you use.
So in the end its what bakes your cookies that matters.

Now , few questions more:
1. I hope Yamaha Service center in India can service this AVR if at all , I encounter any problem ? Or will they shoo-away since its bought from US
As mentioned by tuff, it will negate warranty in India. however that's the chance which you need to take to save some good amount of money ;). if i'm not wrong this AVR is priced at around Rs 60,000/- in india?

2. Marantz doesn't have any deals , and that extra $$$ on AVR will decrease my budget for speakers. Pls advice if my thinking is correct ?

I agree, if your happy with the sound signature of Yamaha then its better to put that saved amount on good speakers. Start with 2.0 & then you can build as per your taste :)

Hello forum members,

Welcome to the HFV..

US is one of the best places to get AVR for a dirt cheap price.. But if you are willing to risk warranty and get an 110V unit, i would suggest you to re-consider getting it from Dubai/Europe/Singapore/Malaysia where you get 220V which will work directly in India..

If not, you can consider Grey market sources in your city, you would get 220V unit with almost (or) slightly higher prices than US.. Some provide seller warranty.

Just a different opinion. Why not try to source a 240V unit in the USA from the UK or Dubai etc.

One the cost will be slightly costly but the 240V/50-60 hertz problem gets solved automatically. You save the cost of the step down and extra box in the home theater room (here the neighborhood flat!).

If the price is comparable, why not?

I know many people are successful in using 110V models in India, but somehow I am uncomfortable with the concept. I am fine with lower powered items like DVD or blu ray players but not with AVR, power amplifier etc.

Hello members,
Thanks all for your immediate responses to my queries.
Unfortunately, my messages couldn't reach in time to my relative and purchase didn't happen. Now, the cost became $350
Also, few forum members opined that 240v unit would be hassle free.
Now, am on lookout for such units. Sigh

Thanks,
Deepak

Its quite good. However, if you can, go for Aventage series.
2. Warranty in India?
Will not be covered in India
Yes. There are so many manufacturers out there.
Not at all. Any matching (i.e. matching sound signature) speakers will go with this AVR.
May be. Depends on how lucky you are.
Cannot predict. But most likely no if it is shipped in original box.
Hello members,
Thanks all for your immediate responses to my queries.
Unfortunately, my messages couldn't reach in time to my relative and purchase didn't happen. Now, the cost became $350
Also, few forum members opined that 240v unit would be hassle free.
Now, am on lookout for such units. Sigh

Thanks,
Deepak
Better luck next time.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back