God's own country to Dry State?/ Kerala going Dry - your thoughts ??

hemantwaghe

Banned
Banned
Kerala to close down 700 bars, Sundays to be dry days : India, News - India Today

The ruling Congress-led UDF in Kerala on Thursday decided to shut down over 700 liquor bars attached to hotels below the five-star categories besides making Sundays "dry days."

The decision, taken in a meeting of the UDF leadership presided by chief minister Oommen Chandy, also marked the resolution of the long-drawn feud in the state unit of the Congress and the coalition over the question of renewing licences of 418 bars which were found to be lacking in quality.

The decisions will be formally recommended to the Chandy Cabinet to act upon.

The UDF leadership had earlier resolved to take firm measures to bring down availability of liquor to the common man and take the state to its goal of "total prohibition" in a phased manner.

Briefing reporters after the meeting, Chandy said the 418 bars which had been lying closed since April this year would not be re-opened.

Also, another 312 bars will be closed down, subject to legal advice.

In case, there were some legal hitches in shutting them immediately, they would not be allowed to run business from the next financial year.

The decision would mean that only five-star hotels will have bars, Chandy said.

Regarding the retail sales through the outlets of state Beverages Corporation, the number of such outlets would be wound up by 10 per cent every year.

Apart from the existing dry days, which include the first day of every month, all Sundays would be dry days in the state, taking the total liquor holidays to a minimum of 52 a year, it was decided in the meeting.

The question of renewing licences of closed bars had created sharp divisions in the Congress in the state.

Ever since he took over the state unit, KPCC President V M Sudheeran had stood firmly against renewing licences to 418 bars temporarily closed on the basis of CAG reference on lack of proper amenities.

However, a section in the Congress was of the view that the government should adopt a more practical line on the issue by giving time to the bar owners to upgrade the facilities.

The key UDF partner Indian Union Muslim League also came out supporting the policy of reducing the availability of liquor.

The meet also decided to take up a massive anti-liquor campaign in the state for which one per cent of the sale turnover of the Beverages Corporation would be utilised.

After the ban on arrack by the then AK Antony Ministry two decades ago, the Beverages Corporation has been the sole sales agency for Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL).

Read more at: Kerala to close down 700 bars, Sundays to be dry days : India, News - India Today

===================

Kerala, one of the highest consumers of alcohol, to bid goodbye to booze - The Economic Times

Kerala, one of the highest consumers of alcohol, to bid goodbye to booze
By ET Bureau | 21 Aug, 2014, 06.17PM IST
92 comments |Post a Comment

KOCHI: Kerala, which has one of the highest per capita consumption of alcohol in the country, is bidding bye to booze.

State chief minister Oommen Chandy on Thursday said Kerala will allow only 5-star hotels to serve liquor from April1, 2015, with every Sunday as dry days.

Kerala State Beverages Corporation (Bevco) will close down 10 % of its outlets every year. Bevco has 338 outlets while the Consumerfed has 46 outlets.

It has been decided not to reopen the 418 liquor ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

That's interesting to note. Tamilnadu makes close to 20000 crores (yes, it's 20K crorers) per annum through this. These are widely used for various govt schemes. Can kerala not follow this? They are already the number one state is alcohol sales, if iam right!! Already our "God's own Country" is reeling with underdevelopment for many many years!!! Now what is their alternation of generating revenue!

9000 crores from what I read in the media is what they get for their coffers as tax. Prohibition hasnt successfully worked anywhere( just ask NaMo). With borders with TN and Karnataka, its not easy to implement.

As I promote "Happy and Healthy Drinking" here is my stand

Planning to launch a (legal) site of agitation against prohibition -

-----------------

My friends from Kerala one serious advise from pubonweb.com ... get legal opinion and stock as much booze as possible .And what should be on your top priority list when you go abroad ? Those legally allowed 2 bottles ( per person

Sorry to say but it is disastrous to see that government want to make one of the biggest ( or probably biggest) booze consuming state to dry state . And I am sure government is going to fail in BIG way . Gujarat is prime example , also short lived prohibition in AP (1994-1997) and Haryana ( 1996-98) Even in Maharashtra ( Bombay state - 1948-1950 )

According to wikipedia - More than 40% of revenues for Kerala Government's annual budget come from liquor sales. Revenues from alcohol to the state's exchequer have registered a 100% rise over the past four years.

We at pubonweb.com promote happy and healthy drinking , beehives that things like prohibition never worked and will never work . If something is banned ,people will crave for it . To support our theory we will publish periodical notes . Any information / historic facts are welcome.

By the way Haryana Vikas Party lost elections badly due to prohibition .. So my friends from Kerala is it time for change ?

It will be great if it can be implemented but we all know its impossible.

Because I've seen college mates sound depressed and suicidal after taking to booze every single night. It may not be a coincidence that kerala has a very high suicide rate - of course it's not just the booze it's the lack of jobs and social space as well.

I sense a new career opportunity here - perhaps switch from IT to becoming a bootlegger? [emoji41]

The proposal is impossible to implement unless state borders become as tight as international borders. And instead of preventing violent crime that need immediate attention the cops are going to get busy violating our civil rights and privacy as they search for bootlegged stash at the border.

Overheard at a border Checkpost -

Cops: What's this.. Booze?
Audiophile : nah! It's an audio upgrade.. The cheapest one can buy... Now let me through... [emoji5] [emoji48] [emoji39]

Last edited:
Prohibition will not solve alcoholism. It will just prevent a certain strata of population from getting their means of a few hours of spirited escapism on a regular basis. They will seek other avenues instead which will foster bigger problems.

In the long run ( many many years from now ), due to lack of legal approval for boozing and lack of legal booze, there is a good chance that balanced thinking will prevail and all and sundry will not take up drinking as their sole form of entertainment ( as is the case now in Kerala).

Overall, I think prohibition is a stupid idea. What is needed is common sense among the general public. The amount of mindless boozing that happens in the state is mind boggling.

When prohibition was introduced in AP many years ago - all it did was make people drink way more than normal.
More money to be made by the police, grey market and mafia.

Interestingly a thriving "tourist" industry mushroomed - weekend visits to the border towns around the state for unabashed boozing by the thousands. Truck loads of smashed individuals all over the place.

Bhaisahib

Your maal is safely stored in the godaam, don't worry it will be taken out before the Inspector raaj starts their raids! In any case I know how to cook the books to fool them..

>George make haste and smuggle out my pair of OP before the barbarians shut the gate !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back