Going to design my Home theater setup , need inputs ..

Naveen_Reloaded

Going to re-design my living room w/ HT setup , need inputs ..

My room is getting a upgrade :yahoo: , so planning to redesign the placement , table etc for my HT setup

My current setup

IMG_3113.JPG

My setup :

1.) Panasonic ST30 50"
2.) Onkyo 3200 HTiB
3.) PS3 Slim
4.) Airtel STB

What i have planned :

- > Wall mount my Panny ST30
- > Remove that table in the picture and move the receiver , ps3 , stb to a shelf like design on the side of the wall mounted TV , and another shelf for CD rack or something on the other side.
- > Something of Simplistic approach to design.

Here is my queries :

- How to conceal the wires ? I mean i run two lan cables , from my router to TV and PS3 for streaming . Currently i have just used the black tape to stick these to the ground under the cot. The router is just opposite to the TV.

- I am already provided with a wall mount , what should be the optimal height ? can i place it higher and tilt it towards the viewers ? Also can i wall mount it over rubber wood ? which is supposed to go as background for the new setup , something like this

gitex09-400-01-thumb.jpg

So need to know if 3D plasma can be wall mounted and tilted ? ( Gas within the TV be affected ? )

- I was planning to use pipes to hide the wires , but running lan cables or latter some other wires would become almost impossible , so what is the best practice to run the wires ?

- Planning to install some stabilizers and other stuffs, as there is a frequent and unplanned power cuts , so what kind of equipments do i need ?

- Also i will be upgrading ( HTiB) later , so i want everything to be future proof , like the shelves i am going to design . This is mainly regarding the center and front (L/R) , current front has stands , should i move them to the going to be built shelves or shall i just leave it ? And also should the center be above or below the tv and at what position ?

- also planning to wall mount the speakers , nearly all the surround speakers and also the center , so should it be at the height of the viewers ears or can i place it slightly higher and tilt it towards the viewers ?

I am very confused and the work is about to get started tomorrow, although there are other works which are to be attended first , but i have to comeup with design for my new HT setup .

Also is investing in LED for ambient lighting for Tv worth ?

If anyone can post some pictures (design) it would be great , as i am as of now blank .. :(

Last edited:
how about a very simplistic contemporary design, i am going to design a home theater or a living room shortly..so searched the net for images of home theaters/ living room.i had found one and downloaded wonder how to attach it here :(
just do a google image search for "living room theater" you will get lots of ideas, mix and match as required..
wiring all i know is that we have to keep lighting data and audio cables separate
plan a open shelf approach in case u plan to get equipment that need good air circulation, this way u can conceal the wiring in a false space behind the open shelf. u can place the router on the shelf itself and hence can minimize the LAN wire. u can have an AEH point too in case u may need to have a high power consuming equipment.
and most of all, a common ground wire for all your audio equipment else it may have humming
AFAIK, the rears have to be at a height of 5 feet, fronts at ear level, and the center best behind the TV or bottom or top.

Last edited:
Re: Going to re-design my living room w/ HT setup , need inputs ..

My room is getting a upgrade :yahoo: , so planning to redesign the placement , table etc for my HT setup

My current setup

IMG_3113.JPG

My setup :

1.) Panasonic ST30 50"
2.) Onkyo 3200 HTiB
3.) PS3 Slim
4.) Airtel STB

What i have planned :

- > Remove that table in the picture and move the receiver , ps3 , stb to a shelf like design on the side of the wall mounted TV , and another shelf for CD rack or something on the other side.

Here is my queries :

- How to conceal the wires ? I mean i run two lan cables , from my router to TV and PS3 for streaming . Currently i have just used the black tape to stick these to the ground under the cot. The router is just opposite to the TV.

- I am already provided with a wall mount , what should be the optimal height ? can i place it higher and tilt it towards the viewers ? Also can i wall mount it over rubber wood ? which is supposed to go as background for the new setup , something like this

gitex09-400-01-thumb.jpg

So need to know if 3D plasma can be wall mounted and tilted ? ( Gas within the TV be affected ? )

- I was planning to use pipes to hide the wires , but running lan cables or latter some other wires would become almost impossible , so what is the best practice to run the wires ?

- Planning to install some stabilizers and other stuffs, as there is a frequent and unplanned power cuts , so what kind of equipments do i need ?

- Also i will be upgrading ( HTiB) later , so i want everything to be future proof , like the shelves i am going to design . This is mainly regarding the center and front (L/R) , current front has stands , should i move them to the going to be built shelves or shall i just leave it ? And also should the center be above or below the tv and at what position ?

- also planning to wall mount the speakers , nearly all the surround speakers and also the center , so should it be at the height of the viewers ears or can i place it slightly higher and tilt it towards the viewers ?

I am very confused and the work is about to get started tomorrow, although there are other works which are to be attended first , but i have to comeup with design for my new HT setup .

If anyone can post some pictures (design) it would be great , as i am as of now blank .. :(

I really like your tv...........excellent choice!!! ok, let's see what we can do here:

1. is there a plain wall available to wall mount the tv? Would be great if you can paint that wall in a neutral grey colour. For more details refer : CinemaQuest, Inc.

2. Bias Lighting behind the tv is the perfect and optimum way to watch tv to get the best picture output from the tv without the eye strain. Unfortunately its not easy to find the perfect light for the same...........after lot of research there is only 1 that adheres to the specs required........PHILIPS MASTER TL-D 90 Graphica 18W/965 1SL , try to source it locally. Using just any LED light would defeat the purpose.

3. Front speakers are on stands.......not much you can do here. Centre speaker should always be at ear level. Place it below the tv and angle it towards the listening position. Depending on the listening position there might not be much space between the tv and the centre speaker if you position them correctly.

4. Surround speakers should be placed at a ht of 2-3 ft above ear level at 90 to 110 degree behind the listening position. For more info : http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer...r-speaker-guide/index.html.........everything is self explanatory.

5. TV should be wall mounted at eye level, depending on the height of your sofa or couch. Almost everyone mounts the tv too high causing neck strain. Most company guys who wall mount tv's do it higher than required, so be careful. Eye level works perfect.......hv a look : HDTV Set Up

how about a very simplistic contemporary design, i am going to design a home theater or a living room shortly..so searched the net for images of home theaters/ living room.i had found one and downloaded wonder how to attach it here :(
just do a google image search for "living room theater" you will get lots of ideas, mix and match as required..
wiring all i know is that we have to keep lighting data and audio cables separate
plan a open shelf approach in case u plan to get equipment that need good air circulation, this way u can conceal the wiring in a false space behind the open shelf. u can place the router on the shelf itself and hence can minimize the LAN wire. u can have an AEH point too in case u may need to have a high power consuming equipment.
and most of all, a common ground wire for all your audio equipment else it may have humming
AFAIK, the rears have to be at a height of 5 feet, fronts at ear level, and the center best behind the TV or bottom or top.

Thanks. the problem in my case is the disproportionate room size

http://i.imgur.com/0Dnqg.jpg

Only when the main work starts and once i remove all the equipments and TV from the current position , then i will know what design to go into. I have come up with a design (google search :) ) but how well it pans out is still a ? given the length of the TV wall :(

Thanks for the other advises . Already have 15 ft LAN (x2) wires running , so will see to that , data and audio wires are seperate while running them.

which wire to choose for Onkyo 3200 HTiB , in case i need some extra length ?

16 gauge speaker wire | eBay

How to decide which Gauge to get ? Many suggest 16 gauge and not less than 12 G

Also planning to incorporate these fans in to the shelf i planning to build to keep devices cool , onkyo AVR becomes so hot at times.

Cooler Master 120mm Silent 1200 RPM PC Cooling Fan - Value Pack of 4 | eBay

Will see to that they are properly grounded.
Thanks for the reply..:)

Use the type of ducting used for concealing ethernet cable to conceal your signal wires-that's what I have done and it works fine for me.

Thanks..

I really like your tv...........excellent choice!!! ok, let's see what we can do here:

1. is there a plain wall available to wall mount the tv? Would be great if you can paint that wall in a neutral grey colour. For more details refer : CinemaQuest, Inc.

2. Bias Lighting behind the tv is the perfect and optimum way to watch tv to get the best picture output from the tv without the eye strain. Unfortunately its not easy to find the perfect light for the same...........after lot of research there is only 1 that adheres to the specs required........PHILIPS MASTER TL-D 90 Graphica 18W/965 1SL , try to source it locally. Using just any LED light would defeat the purpose.

3. Front speakers are on stands.......not much you can do here. Centre speaker should always be at ear level. Place it below the tv and angle it towards the listening position. Depending on the listening position there might not be much space between the tv and the centre speaker if you position them correctly.

4. Surround speakers should be placed at a ht of 2-3 ft above ear level at 90 to 110 degree behind the listening position. For more info : http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer...r-speaker-guide/index.html.........everything is self explanatory.

5. TV should be wall mounted at eye level, depending on the height of your sofa or couch. Almost everyone mounts the tv too high causing neck strain. Most company guys who wall mount tv's do it higher than required, so be careful. Eye level works perfect.......hv a look : HDTV Set Up

thanks. Members were of great help while selecting the TV.

1.) Actually there is window behind the screen (picture), we are planning to close the window using plywood. I asked the carpenter whether it could withstand the weight of the TV , they said , it can . thanks for the link , will see if i can paint it with grey.. coz the background is supposed to go as rubber wood itself .. Thanks for the idea , will plan something.

2.) "PHILIPS MASTER TL-D 90 Graphica 18W/965 1SL" got an pdf http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4bt/3/323163/master_tl-d_90_graphica_323163_ffs_bul.pdf , i cant find the dimension of this light , also how many should be placed behind the TV ? one on either side ? This should be used with grey background right ?

3.) I purchased those stands , if necessary i can remove them and wall mount. What wall mount bracket is advisable ? I found few on ebay , dont know which one to buy.

4.) what is the diagonal distance to place the surround speakers (Rear) ?

5.) Planning to place the TV at 3/4 to the top and eye level ( http://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/uzwqf/need_help_on_setting_up_the_home_theater/)

Thanks for the time and reply.. :)

Re: Going to re-design my living room w/ HT setup , need inputs ..

My current setup

IMG_3113.JPG

My setup :

1.) Panasonic ST30 50"
2.) Onkyo 3200 HTiB
3.) PS3 Slim
4.) Airtel STB

What i have planned :

Here is my queries :

gitex09-400-01-thumb.jpg

Some inputs I guess might help you out:

1. Since ST30 supports wifi dongle support, try investing in one and remove that cable running from the router. As for PS3, I'm not sure. If you would like to keep the wires, then buy a longer LAN cable and route it through a PVC wall casing, or use a carpet and lay the cables beneath it [make sure you don't place furniture on it :)]

2. I've mounted my plasma on a low wall unit [AV rack] which has viewing height = height of the viewers eye level with less than 30 deg between the farthest seat and the centre line of the TV panel. Since you are planning for wall mounting, make sure it is at the same height as your seat, else 3D viewing/1080p playback wont be impressive.

3. For stabilizer and surge protection, I'm using V-guard crystal plus which supports 3 connected loads of 3A [max] each and online UPS of 800kVA

4. Place centre channel right below the screen on the wall. In case you are planning for going for a dedicated Hifi audio setup in future, make space for placing 4 receivers [1 AV, 1CD, 1 Integrated Amp, 1BD player]. Bookshelf speakers never sound good on a bookshelf :), mount it on wooden stand and place them at ear level from your listening position and facing you. For surround speakers, place them on either side of your seat facing you or behind you at an angle of 30 deg facing you. Sub you can place any place in the room, preferably the corners for movies and few feet away from the wall in case of poor audio reproduction and check for the best overall listening experience

5. Try giving a light color background, since the image contrast will be better and the TV will stand out from the existing decor

6. Using CFL lights within shades, rather than direct light will be sufficient, since some LED lights can cause distraction.

Thanks. the problem in my case is the disproportionate room size

http://i.imgur.com/0Dnqg.jpg

Only when the main work starts and once i remove all the equipments and TV from the current position , then i will know what design to go into. I have come up with a design (google search :) ) but how well it pans out is still a ? given the length of the TV wall :(

Thanks for the other advises . Already have 15 ft LAN (x2) wires running , so will see to that , data and audio wires are seperate while running them.

which wire to choose for Onkyo 3200 HTiB , in case i need some extra length ?

16 gauge speaker wire | eBay

How to decide which Gauge to get ? Many suggest 16 gauge and not less than 12 G

Also planning to incorporate these fans in to the shelf i planning to build to keep devices cool , onkyo AVR becomes so hot at times.

Cooler Master 120mm Silent 1200 RPM PC Cooling Fan - Value Pack of 4 | eBay

Will see to that they are properly grounded.
Thanks for the reply..:)

Thanks..

i meant : keep electric wires separate duct from audio and data
common ground : make sure u connect all equipment to electric points that have good grounding, and the ground point wiring is common to all points.

i am not sure of guage: i know for fact that lesser the number thicker the guage..and that thick wire is better (for a given metal and length) as resistance is inversely proportional to the area of cross section (thickness) of the wire

Which gauge of wire you need depends on the distance between your amp and speaker. If you are going for concealed wiring you may need lengthier cables and a good quality branded cable is recommended. Consider the DAC 16AWG cable available in hifimart.

Thanks. What is dual speaker wire ? Also can i use the same wire for my sub woofer ? or does it need a special wire ?

^^ Is it an active or passive sub? For passive subwoofer you can use the same speaker cable even though dedicated (= expensive) subwoofer speaker cables are available. If it is active subwoofer then use RCA subwoofer cable.

I am not sure what is a dual speaker wire and whether it has wires for two speakers.

mine is a passive one. Although the current wire is sufficient , just want to make sure , it is compatible in the future.

I want some more input on Bias lighting. Should i go for the 6500K philips TL-D graphica or go for those LED kits from antec ?

Currently Rubber wood goes as background

aakashr said it should be neutral one , so using LED or 6500K will compensate on the rubber wood when the light bounces back on it ?

the panasonic 50st30 came with a wall mount isnt it ? i still have mine but i am currently using the stand.

Yes it did came with something similar to this one

VideoSecu MW52B up and down Tilt Plasma LCD LED TV Wall Mount for 30-55 VESA6 | eBay

But i am planning to sell this and get a TV wall mount which has swivel option . I have planned to place it slightly above the level of eye sight , but since my wall is not straight , i want to have a swivel option.

But what i intended to ask for wall mount for surround speakers..

A few TV wall mounts are available in hifimart. TV Ceiling & Wall-Mounts

I want wall mount bracket for surround speakers baijuxavior ..

I saw these ,

VideoSecu 4 Black Universal Satellite Speaker Mounts / Brackets for Walls and C | eBay

Pan/Tilt Adjustable Stereo Surround Speaker Wall Mount Brackets (Indoor/Outdoor | eBay

But i dont know if they would be compatible to my speaker , which has a just a keyhole shaped hole , just like we see in wall clock . I want these brackets to take the load , in case i upgrade my speakers.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back