Going to get my first LCD TV.. Still undecided!! :( Please help!

SkyKnight

Hi all from HFV,

I am about to buy a new LCD tv for ma newly acquired PS3 and am still undecided on which one to go with. At first, it was a plain choice of going to the store and getting my eyes on a BRAVIA, but then i got on the Internet and researched further about this issue and found out about the main issue thats disturbing gamers all over... INPUT LAG!!!

Ive been doing a lotta research since then and found that Panasonic, LG and Sharp offers the least input lag comparatively(dunno if all those models are available in India)

The models which I could find at the local dealer are

LG32LK450 at 29k, 32LK430 ( I guess internals are the same except for IPS on 450 and 300W PMPO audio on 430)

Panasonic U30D at 28k(which arguably has got GAME MODE which reduces lag)

Sharp unfortunately was nowhere to be seen (and a few dealers whom i met recommended against it)

The dealer was strongly recommending LG over panasonic which I found a little fishy as I dunno much about LG products or service. Plus, the whole dilemma of 32 inch Full HD or HD Ready over again... My budget is between 30 and 35k for which I suppose my options are limited at 32 inch. So does that actually make a difference for ps3 games? Coz i aint planning on buying HD DTH or Bluray movies much.. The console gaming and SD DTH is what the TV will mostly be used for...

Let me know of my options. Full HD or HD Ready? And any larger screen size lcds available on my budget of 35k with low input lag? I reside in Cochin if that matters. If someone from Kerala could point me to a local dealer who could offer me better prices, that would be great too... :) Thanks in advance..

The dealer was strongly recommending LG over panasonic which I found a little fishy as I dunno much about LG products or service. Plus, the whole dilemma of 32 inch Full HD or HD Ready over again... My budget is between 30 and 35k for which I suppose my options are limited at 32 inch. So does that actually make a difference for ps3 games? Coz i aint planning on buying HD DTH or Bluray movies much.. The console gaming and SD DTH is what the TV will mostly be used for...

Let me know of my options. Full HD or HD Ready? And any larger screen size lcds available on my budget of 35k with low input lag? I reside in Cochin if that matters. If someone from Kerala could point me to a local dealer who could offer me better prices, that would be great too... :) Thanks in advance..

I am not gonna suggest you any model as such, just want to clear few things. LG has no issues what so ever in services or the quality of the product. They have taken the LCD/LED, specially 3D market pretty effectively. The LW Cinema 3D, series is the best by far. I am not sure what price point, does a 32" LW is offered, but do check. Plus, for gaming smooth motion is an advantage, and hence the 200Hz True Motion (LG term) comes in to handy. Full HD or HD ready would not make much of a difference, as most of the games are offered at 720p as well (atleast for PCs, not sure about PS3).

I have LG LCD 47" with TM 200Hz and I play racing games via my 360 controller all the time.... :) .... via PC though.

Hi, you can go for toshiba 40 inch lcd for that budget.they are good value for money
Always go for bigger size if possible. You will want to upgrade soon after purchasing a 32 inch set .
Here is the link
Buy Toshiba 40" Full HD LCD TV 40AV10E at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

thanks for replying.
Ive heard that panasonic manufatures a lotta good low input lag tvs.. whats the number on this one? anything below 40ms max is okay with me...

I am not gonna suggest you any model as such, just want to clear few things. LG has no issues what so ever in services or the quality of the product. They have taken the LCD/LED, specially 3D market pretty effectively. The LW Cinema 3D, series is the best by far. I am not sure what price point, does a 32" LW is offered, but do check. Plus, for gaming smooth motion is an advantage, and hence the 200Hz True Motion (LG term) comes in to handy. Full HD or HD ready would not make much of a difference, as most of the games are offered at 720p as well (atleast for PCs, not sure about PS3).

I have LG LCD 47" with TM 200Hz and I play racing games via my 360 controller all the time.... :) .... via PC though.

Thanks for clearing doubts on LG. I was suspecting how their service is after sales since Ive never owned an LG product. And yes, Ive seen CInema 3D and it looks pretty impressive. But I dont think 200Hz would improve input lag. Anything above 60Hz would normally result in higher input lag from what Ive read. What you said might be true for normal TV viewing with sports channels and stuff, but not for gaming.

And yeah, ps3 games also come in 720p (almost all of them, though there are a few in 1080p as well.. like FF13)

^^ Well I could easily make out some difference in the game fps smoothness, when I turn on the 200Hz True Motion. Where movies look like documentry with this effect, games take full advantage of this feature. So for movies it always turn off and games it on high. ...:)

About after sales service, well its been almost touching two years with this LCD and TG I haven't had the need for after sale service as such, but general impression is that it is not something to worry about too much. I remember couple of threads that had mentioned the service is decent. Maybe some one might pour in their actual experience.

^^ Well I could easily make out some difference in the game fps smoothness, when I turn on the 200Hz True Motion. Where movies look like documentry with this effect, games take full advantage of this feature. So for movies it always turn off and games it on high. ...:)

About after sales service, well its been almost touching two years with this LCD and TG I haven't had the need for after sale service as such, but general impression is that it is not something to worry about too much. I remember couple of threads that had mentioned the service is decent. Maybe some one might pour in their actual experience.

Well, then I might be mistaken. Because, from all the reviews and forum posts Ive read on popular forums like AVS say "anything better than 60Hz wont do you good".

And theres one fishy thing about LG, the Panel Lottery. Have you heard of it? You wouldn't face this as its only with lower end models that they do this for cost cutting.

Also, since you are from Delhi, are you familiar with any grey market dealers? I hear they go pretty cheap with HDTVs. Someone on this forum mentioned something like that in a thread. (x720 for 28k? Wow.. thats some price difference). I am well aware of the trouble I might get into, but still, do you have any contacts?

Grey Market .... well no contacts as such, but I know there are places like palika, gafar in Delhi, that have people selling grey products, not recommended though unless you know the stuff in and out.

There is no Panel Lottery in LG. Both LK430 and LK450 are IPS panels.

LK430 is the Jazz model which has slightly higher sound output and is the more expensive option, contrary to what it sounds from its model name!

Panasonic S series looked awesome to me, although thier contrast ratio is much lower than LG, I couldn't make out any difference and the Panasonic LCDs looked really good and VFM with 3 years warranty.

LK430 is the Jazz model which has slightly higher sound output and is the more expensive option, contrary to what it sounds from its model name!

Well yeah, I noticed. You should read my first post once again I guess.

Panasonic S series looked awesome to me, although thier contrast ratio is much lower than LG, I couldn't make out any difference and the Panasonic LCDs looked really good and VFM with 3 years warranty.

The ratio is different and it shows.. clearly.. play the same video on both and have a look. But even that doesn't matter to me. I can live without the perks as long as theres little input lag. Do you have any info on input lag of S series.?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back