Good bye to Bose...Looking for Front stage speakers+Subwoofer

boldiam

Hi Guys,

I have purchased BOSE 5.1 speakers + ONKYO AMP, 5 years back . I bought this from USA, That time this was ok ..and since these speakers are easy to carry and I bought.And my intention that time was to buy satellite speakers since that time i have space constraint at my home.

I could say this setup served me well since i used this for small room. Since we moved to bigger house, these speakers are not performing well. Especially i felt SUB was weak.

Now Its time to say good bye to BOSE speakers or i will use this for stereo setup for another room.

My current plan is to get the fronts/center + SUB woofer for my room.
I am not much bothered about rear sound. Will get rear speakers later.

My preference is 100% movies. Currently using my LCD TV for watching movies. Later will upgrade to projector.
My current room size is 20/15.
I watch lot of holywood movies(80%) + regional movies (20%).

The kind of speakers i am looking for is with very good BASS response( like the good BASS response in theaters :eek:)- with tight BASS/ clarity.
I am ok to either bookselves or Floorstanding speakers.

SUBwoofer - i am looking for DEEP BASS for movies. So pls recommend me some good powered subwoofer with DEEP +punchy BASS (and shouldnt be boomy).

My budget is 1 lakh , if its nessary may go up to max: 1.5 Lakhs.

I auditioned paradigm cinema speakers - Highs are very bright and felt BASS was not sufficient. Need to audition more speakers..

And my current AMP is 80 watts/channel. Pls suggest me whether i need to upgrade AMP or add any additional AMP for more power.

Pls suggest me.

which AMP do you have?
I can recommend you PSB speakers + NAD amp as I was impressed with the weight of the sound. So my money has gone into a lot of NAD recently.

I would recommend Paradigm Studio 20 (1 pair) as fronts with SVS PB12 Plus Subwoofer.
Your amp can drive Studio 20.

Later you can buy Paradigm Studio 60 Floor Standers and Studio CC590 Center Channel to make it a 5.1 setup. I would recommend upgrading the amp to drive them.

They are premium models, and you won't regret your decision if you spend good amount of time watching movies.

spend all your money on speakers. amp is fine, an amp upgrade wont get u too much in returns in your budget. Get two good mains speakers and a sub. Use two bose satellites for the rears. You can get a centre or use phantom center.

if its only Bass you are looking for then you can get a SVS/Velodyne/Deftech Sub and add it to your current setup.
if you feel vocals too need a change then i would suggest an all Deftech setup (not sure of the price !)

:) :) People here have been merrily importing the JBL ES250 (400W) subwoofer from Amazon.de and licking their lips :) :). The import cost comes to EUR 300 or something, all inclusive. The delivery happens in 5 to 10 days max.

This alone will bring an "oomph" to your setup.

I will suggest that you buy a good AVR with 7.1 channels. If your Onkyo has this (which I doubt) then skip the step.

Then you can buy two really good tower speakers such Mordaunt Short Aviano 6/8.

Once done, you can set up the system as follows:

a) The two tower speakers should connect as main front L+R
b) Use the Bose 5.1 system but the connection of the Bose front L+R should be used as front height speakers.
c) Use the JBL (or any equivalent) as the subwoofer.

The advantage of the above setup is that you don't chuck away everything you have at one go and incur major capital expenditure. You can test how this works for you. If you still feel "handicapped", then you can get rid of the Bose and buy "proper" speakers for center and surround.

p/s. I am in the same boat (look at my signature) but financially not in a stage which can warrant major opulence at this stage. :) :)

which AMP do you have?
I can recommend you PSB speakers + NAD amp as I was impressed with the weight of the sound. So my money has gone into a lot of NAD recently.

My Amp is ONKYO 7.1 a/v receiver same spec like TX-NR579 , without AudEq.
80 watts RMS/channel with 8 ohms.
I will surely do a audiotion of PSB speakers. Myself heard good reviews about it.
If anybody knows the dealer in chennai for PSB speakers pls let me know.

I will suggest that you buy a good AVR with 7.1 channels. If your Onkyo has this (which I doubt) then skip the step.

Then you can buy two really good tower speakers such Mordaunt Short Aviano 6/8.
Yes I have 7.1 a/v receiver.
a) The two tower speakers should connect as main front L+R
b) Use the Bose 5.1 system but the connection of the Bose front L+R should be used as front height speakers.
c) Use the JBL (or any equivalent) as the subwoofer.
Somehow may be i got bored of BOSE speakers, need to upgrade with better speakers. Atleast the front stage. May be i can use my BOSE for surround.

Subwoofer, I am looking for really deep + punchy, high quality BASS. Not sure whether JBL can handle that?.

Look for Klipsch speakers , they are super good for movies. You can also consider a nice PSB tower setup with SVS, HSU or Velodyne SUBS. :)

Hi Guys,

I have purchased BOSE 5.1 speakers + ONKYO AMP, 5 years back . I bought this from USA, That time this was ok ..and since these speakers are easy to carry and I bought.And my intention that time was to buy satellite speakers since that time i have space constraint at my home.

When i was in USA, I saw one model ONKYO AMP paired with ONKYO SPEAKERS dont know the model number(it was very large in size,and seems to be designed for halls). The sound was excellent with very good Bass response. And of course it was quit expensive. Since it was very large in size i couldnt buy at that time. Not sure whether it will fit for house purpose, since it seems to be designed for halls.

I couldnt remember that model name, and couldnt find that speakers in ONKYO website also. But i am sure that its ONKYO speakers.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back