good CD technician - Philips CD960

M

mpw

Hi

sometime ago i got a Philips CD 960 from ebay in Germany. The package arrived well and i remember to have played couple of CD's which played very well.

Then

the dreaded - No Disc - error came up on screen
the CD would spin but the system would not locate the start of CD

I am looking for an experienced CD mechanic / technician / engineer who can sort this out for me

FWIW - i do have a used extra CDM-1 mechanism as well.

Any leads will be very helpful for me as i would like to try and restore the Philips CD 960 back to full functionality.

Thanks
mpw
Mumbai

Similar type of cimplaint use to occur in my kenwood 8020 cd player. For a long time, the cd player was not able to locate start of cd but once it use to locate start of cd (out of 10-20 attempts), the whole cd used to play without error. One day i replaced two rubber belts of the mechanism and i put two drops of oil in dc motor shaft and two drops of oil in lens movement shaft (horizontal & vertical), from that day its playing well. You can try this if it works.

Does it come with the CDP transit lock ? Was it engaged when the seller shipped it? It’s an expensive dual TDA1541 CDP.

Sad it’s not functioning as it should. Transit jerks and mishandling is to be blamed. The airline staff literally tosses stuff around mercilessly, just to get the job done in time.

i dont think it has a transit lock.

The CD960 was supposed to be one of the best CDP's in its days

From your DiY group - you might know someone who can give this a shot.

Similar type of cimplaint use to occur in my kenwood 8020 cd player. For a long time, the cd player was not able to locate start of cd but once it use to locate start of cd (out of 10-20 attempts), the whole cd used to play without error. One day i replaced two rubber belts of the mechanism and i put two drops of oil in dc motor shaft and two drops of oil in lens movement shaft (horizontal & vertical), from that day its playing well. You can try this if it works.

am looking for someone who can patiently get to the bottom of it.

The CD player is in excellent condition otherwise and somewhere i feel its a question of getting the right person.

I do have a spare CDM-1 as well.

Hi Mahesh,
Nice player that Philips cd 960. I have CD 880 model.
There is one Pearl electronics in Santacruz west. I got serviced my other CD players couple of times. Reliable and resonable guys.
Regards.

Thanks all for your replies and support. The CD player is repaired locally and is playing well. It's been 3 days and 6 full albums so I am confident of updating this.

Regards

Thanks all for your replies and support. The CD player is repaired locally and is playing well. It's been 3 days and 6 full albums so I am confident of updating this.

Regards
Good for you dear :)
What was the issue and where did you get it done?

an IC in the servo circuit was changed and couple of transistors.

The CDM-1 is working fine

I had got a spare lens just in case all repairs failed and i will keep that as spare.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I had similar error in my Marantz cd player. I tried cleaning the lens with a ear bud dipped in distilled water but it did not work which earlier had worked. I then changed the damaged cable that goes from the lens to the control board. Since past one year there is no issue at all. Works great.

where

Regards
congratulations.

where did you finally get it repaired?

and what was the final diagnosed problem?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back