Good headphone amps for Sennheiser HD650

kratu

For Sennheiser HD650 headphones, I'd like to know about which amp will bring it's performance to the best.

1. I've some inclination towards the tube amps; both for the retro-factor as well as the warmth and variation that tubes can bring to the music. Does anyone know or experienced these kind of amps?

2. In case of solid state amps; which one do you suggest. I've heard about FiiO amps a lot; These appear to be the de-facto standard when it comes to headphone amps; What is the advantage of these amps? If so, how do I choose the right ones; as the product line has several models.

3. I also read about DACs and amplifier. Is it best to buy these as separate devices or an integrated one is just as good? For either of these options; could you suggest any products?

4. What is the difference between the usual (speaker) amps such as Marantz PM6004 and a headphone amp in terms of sound output and quality? (I see that the usual amps also have a headphone output. The reason for asking is this ... I also plan to add speakers later on; so to keep costs low I'd rather have a single amp that can provide the option for using headphone or speakers as an output)

My budget (for headphone amp) is 10-15K. The source would be an iPod Touch or MacBook Air (Thunderbolt or USB).
Again, FYI this amp is for Sennheiser HD650.

The best amp for headphones is the Beta 22 Class A Headphone amps if you are into DIY. You can build a 3 channel (one channel for ground loop) and in a balanced mode. You should have a budget around 25K to 30K to build this amp. It performs better than all tube amps in performance for headphone use. Not sure about the same for loudspeakers though. There are a couple of reviews for the tube amps vs Beta 22 in other forums for you to check. I have build this amp and am using it with my TL BS speakers and am extremely satisfied with its performance.

Thanks Hari. I'll have to leave out the DIY option. I heard Bottlehead Crack is another DIY tube amp that works well with 650.

I'll add reply to my own thread; for the benefit of others. I've done a fair amount of digging online and there is series of posts just focusing on this topic "Amps for HD 650"

And a category dedicated to Headphone Amps
Headphone Amps (full-size)

It sure is a sea of options especially when you flex the budget.

The prominent amps that are usually come out are:

Bottlehead Crack
Schiit Lyr
Schiit Asgard/Valhalla/ Bifrost DAC
Little Dot MKIII
NuForce icon

Woo WA6
Fiio E17+E6

Hari - can b22 be made such that it can be used both for headphone or for amp - thought not at the same time.

Last edited:
From my experience and from what I've learnt, the 650s are usually not the bottlenecks in a system and respond very well to good quality HP amps. I believe they play exceptionally well with tube HP amps. If I was you, and if my budget is slightly flexible, I would look at the following options:

JDS Labs - O2+ODAC Combo

?????

?????

?????

?????

If I'm looking at much cheaper and/or portable options, I'd look at the iBasso range:

iBasso

I use an iBasso D1 to power my 650s and I am reasonably happy with it.

IIRC Viren makes a headamp. Why don't you get in touch with him...Lyrita Audio...in case you are new to Viren's creations...

Hi

I am currently using HD598 (50 ohms) with Viren sir's Headphone amplifier. I find the sound extremely rich although with 50 ohms I feel there is dearth of volume/loudness with this pairing.

Here is some technical data I received from Viren sir in regards to this amp :
input impedance------100k ohms
Output impedance-----100 ohms
Frequency response----30 Hz to 20 kHz

Power output, measured, with an input signal of 2V:
- output voltage into 32 ohms----1.2V (power 45 mW)
- output voltage into 300 ohms---4.9V (power 80 mW)
- output voltage into 600 ohms---5.9V (power 60 mW)

When you compare the Little Dot Mk3 with this amp just in terms of how much loud it would be, here are the stats :

Power Output:
350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
300 mW @ 120 oh
100 mW @ 32 ohm

Do not mistake the intent of my talking about loudness/current as a yardstick to measure how one amp is better than the other. My point here is that proper matching should be done before one should go talking about the SQ. I have not heard the LD Mk3 but I can tell you that once the Lyrita Head amp is fed with a clean and hi-res input, what comes out is quite commendable.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hari - can b22 be made such that it can be used both for headphone or for amp - thought not at the same time.

The beta 22 with headphone has 3 power-amp boards (one of the board is used for grounding), while the speaker amp has 2 power-amp board for left and right channel. I am not sure if it can be used for both headphone and speakers though, as i build it only for the speaker use.

I'll get in touch with Viren Bakshi. Let me see if this works out. Thanks.

For Sennheiser HD650 headphones, I'd like to know about which amp will bring it's performance to the best.

1. I've some inclination towards the tube amps; both for the retro-factor as well as the warmth and variation that tubes can bring to the music. Does anyone know or experienced these kind of amps?

2. In case of solid state amps; which one do you suggest. I've heard about FiiO amps a lot; These appear to be the de-facto standard when it comes to headphone amps; What is the advantage of these amps? If so, how do I choose the right ones; as the product line has several models.

3. I also read about DACs and amplifier. Is it best to buy these as separate devices or an integrated one is just as good? For either of these options; could you suggest any products?

4. What is the difference between the usual (speaker) amps such as Marantz PM6004 and a headphone amp in terms of sound output and quality? (I see that the usual amps also have a headphone output. The reason for asking is this ... I also plan to add speakers later on; so to keep costs low I'd rather have a single amp that can provide the option for using headphone or speakers as an output)

My budget (for headphone amp) is 10-15K. The source would be an iPod Touch or MacBook Air (Thunderbolt or USB).
Again, FYI this amp is for Sennheiser HD650.

Look at FiiO E12 (Amp.), it is Fiio's flagship model or FiiO E17 (Amp. + DAC). I think E12 will be the best match Hd 650. I am using FiiO E11 Amp. to drive my Senn. HD 439.

I am using a Bravo Audio Ocean class A tube amp with my Senn HD600 and I am quite happy with the sound. I also had a FiiO E17 but that didn't really cut it for me.

I'll get in touch with Viren Bakshi. Let me see if this works out. Thanks.

Just FYI, while speaking to Viren Sir about my DHT preamp yesterday, he informed me that he will be out of country from June 24th - July 18th. Hence calling on his landline may end up being futile. You could mail him with your queries.

Cheers

I am using a Bravo Audio Ocean class A tube amp with my Senn HD600 and I am quite happy with the sound. I also had a FiiO E17 but that didn't really cut it for me.

Vivek, just had a look at the product. The price point is alluring (considering also the fact that shipping cost is free; as per a eBay listing). Would like to get more information about this product.

Are there any issues with the amp that I should know about? (I heard some cheap amps have an issue with interference, and screws falling apart).

How is the sound like? Have you tried other amps (apart from E17)?

Being a potential buyer of Brave Audio Ocean, I am also interested to know the performance of this amp. A short review based on your experience would be useful.

I have tried many an amps with Senn HD 650. My go to amp for this pair of cans is Nuforce Icon HDP. Before I settled down with this, I used to love the pairing with FiiO E7. Even before that I used to play it with Little Dot Mk II. All three of these are a good match for HD 650, depending on what is the preference, you can live with either of these.

About how good is 650. I agree with a comment above, that usually 650 is not a bottleneck. With each amp I tried I got 650 to do more. I am itching to find out what it can do with a Burson Audio Soloist. In the meantime, I am very please with the 3 partnerships I mentioned above.

Vivek, just had a look at the product. The price point is alluring (considering also the fact that shipping cost is free; as per a eBay listing). Would like to get more information about this product.

Are there any issues with the amp that I should know about? (I heard some cheap amps have an issue with interference, and screws falling apart).

How is the sound like? Have you tried other amps (apart from E17)?

I simply love the sound signature of my Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp, but I should add that I have done following DIY mods on the amplifier which has brought out the full potential of the amplifier -
1. Replaced the IRF510 MOSFET with IRL510
2. Replaced the power capacitor with 35V rating capacitors and higher capacitance
3. Replaced the stock Chinese 12AU7 tube with a RCA 12AU7 CLEAR TOPS from circa 1960's

I keep the top lid off the amplifier simply because it doesn't fits anymore because of the size of the capacitors, even though there is zero interference in this amplifier.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Vivek for introducing this product to many of us.

After reading other favorable online reviews, today I placed an order for Bravo Ocean amp and it should reach me (via DHL) this week or early next week.

I shall be mainly using it with K701.

If I don't like its sound signature, I may put it on sale here.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back